Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed this a couple of weeks ago, just now getting around to posting.
I wanted something different, unique, a color I hadn't seen a lot of, on a budget, and with good reviews-
Duplicolor WP102 Graphite--
I had a couple places of clearcoat that had "bubbled", but I followed directions that found right here on this very forum, using the SEARCH bar :lol:.....i know, I know....I used 250 grit paper for the worst of the bubbled spots and followed with the 320 grit sanding pads and synthetic steel wool pads and sos pads for light scuffing. Wiped with t-shirt rags and lots of rubbing alcohol. This paint sticks to anything-I was very impressed.
Lots of nitrile gloves, TONS of elbow grease, couple of jack stands and a good hydrolic jack. The process took me right at 2 days to complete. I elected not to use ad pro, and i also elected not to clearcoat the new paint. I like the idea of quickly being able to touch up when needed. I think its a vast improvement-

Starting out, you can see one of the worst spots of bubbling-

This is scuffed and cleaned thoroughly, taping off begins-

I found that if I cut the tape at an angle, it layed down easier-

AND....The finished product....

And lastly, I decided to change the cabin air filter. Seriously....

Thanks to everyone on the forums who makes modding easy and inspiring-
Marcos

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I like it a lot!! I just got done painting a set of wheels also and when I was in the primer stage, my black primer had a dark grey look to it that I was really digging. I was very tempted to switch to that graphite, but at last stuck with the black. I'm happy with the way mine turned out, but that might be an option next time!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
thanks for posting man! I just picked up a set of these wheels for my 4th gen runner and was debating between powder coating them matte black or gun metal, Im def goin with the gun metal :) thanks alot man!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nice job!
:)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Looks good. I think that is the exact color that WUVY did her 16" off road wheels in and they look awesome also. But then again she did her silver bits in that color also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
looks good! i did my mine in black using the same process

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does anyone know of anyone who painted their stock alloys white?

I've seen steelies painted white but not the alloys....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts