Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get really crappy reception with the stock antenna. Does anyone have recommendations on antennas that get better AM/FM reception? Also, I love the look of the big offroad CB antennas. Is it possible to wire one of those in to the AM/FM radio? Thanks!

Reactions: Kraemer

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
So I get really crappy reception with the stock antenna. Does anyone have recommendations on antennas that get better AM/FM reception? Also, I love the look of the big offroad CB antennas. Is it possible to wire one of those in to the AM/FM radio? Thanks!
You want to contact Nestah Edition.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I don't believe that you will find a "better" antenna. Antenna's are designed for a specific application. In an AM/FM antenna that typically means the mast of an antenna will be a specific length to match the wave length of the signal it is designed to pick up. Some antennas also have loaded coils or an additional wire that combines with the mast and helps to create the electrically perfect length. A CB antenna is a very poor choice for AM/FM... There are signal boosters that can help the FM side, but usually don't do much for AM... Truth be told your best option is to buy a radio with a better receiver section....

Hope some of this makes sense :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truth be told your best option is to buy a radio with a better receiver section....
So the strength and quality of my radio reception is more based on my radio than on my antenna?

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
If your current antenna/radio combination isn't working where another combination works fine. You may want to start with checking your antenna connections to make sure they are solid. It's possible that there could be an issue with the antenna cable or either it's connection to the antenna mast or the radio itself. This will cause you issues.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
There are "Trucker" antennas for AM/FM that have dual masts, one tuned for AM and one tuned for FM. You might see some improvement using something like that. Not the greatest looking arrangement in my opinion. If you have an OEM antenna for AM/FM it should be tuned and loaded to the best compromised length. From there yes, the sensitivity of the AM/FM receiver is a larger factor...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts