Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the cleanest ways to mount an antenna on an FJ is to use one of the designs that attach to the rear door upper hinge bracket.

Two popular options are the carbon-steel Bandi mount, and the stainless-steel Boztec mount. They are essentially identical in the way they mount to the hinge bracket, with subtle differences at the antenna mount end.

I like the stainless-steel construction of the Boztec mount; has anyone encountered any negative issues with either the Boztec mount or the Bandi mount?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I have the Brandi. Only complaint I have is the powder coating. And by the time I got mine, probably out of his hands. I'm in the NE and it has rusted pretty badly. I will need to remove and clean it up and repaint very soon, at least before next winter.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Another one with Bandi mount, purchased through All Pro.

Given deficiencies noted, I took some steps up front and have had no problems with the bandi mount.

specifically,
1) completely stripped paint from new mount
2) broke all sharp edges (practically every edge present) as powder coat tends to be very thin on edges/sharp corners
3) knocked out press fit stud
4) primed and repainted with rustoleum
5) used a two-wire type of antenna connector, with one ring terminal that goes to base of antenna, and second ring terminal that I used in conjunction with a star washer on the replacement button head bolt I used to fasten the mount to the hinge. This mitigated need to expose bare metal on the mount to establish a good ground, and the paint penetrations made by the star washer have not led to any rust. Using a button head bolt meant I could tighten the bolt externally and not spin the star washer, minimizing paint damage to the hinge.

Been problem free/rust free since install about 2 years ago, with decent SWR readings. I think the bandi mount looks better as it has more coverage where the antenna wire fastens to the antenna.

Good Luck,
shawn

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also worth adding to the list for consideration is the machined aluminium version from Gzilla Designs.
Zero -

Thanks for the head's-up re the GZila Designs (GZD) mount, I wasn't aware that it existed. One piece, hogged out of a solid block of aluminum with anodized finish. Normally the anodized finish would pose grounding problems, but GZD has provided means to connect the antenna base to the body shell with grounding strap connected to one of the rear door hinge bolts.

I think I'll go with the GZD.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've got the Boztec ham antenna mount for a couple of years, still looks great!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Using the Bandi here.
Have removed it twice to clean up the rust.
Originally drilled out the antenna mounting hole to fit an SO-239 mount. Have had zero problems with the antenna connection etc, but even rustolium only lasts 2 years max before rusing through.
Other than the rust, it's a nice clean factory-looking bracket. Antenna radiation properties do tend to favour the back (rear) but unless the antenna is mounted right at the top center of the vehicle we really can't expect a perfectly round pattern anyway.
This setup is strictly 2m and 70cm ham bands.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I have an older Boztec with no cutout design on it. Been on there for nearly 6 years now. Still black. Still works as good as day 1. I cannot recommend it enough.

I love the aluminum idea too, but no way it lasts that long without turning grey. Anodizing just doesn't have the best light-fastness out there, even though black is one of the best at it

·
Registered
111 Posts
My bandi mount rusted badly after a year here in New Hampshire. The Boztec I bought as a replacement has been totally corrosion-free for a few years now.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
you guys think the boztec or bandi type mount would hold a Yaesu ATAS 120?
Looks like it would work. You just have to drill out the hole. Bandi might be the one to use since the Boztec tapers in pretty small at the hole....depends on the actual antenna

This is a good thread with lots of pics of various things: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/cb-ham-communications/313402-ham-radio-mounting-post-your-pics-2.html#post7327105

This is an OLD thread so I wouldnt ask questions in it, but here you go: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/36295-ham-antenna-bandi-mount.html#post615109

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone know of a Canadian source/distributor for either of these mount? Seems a little silly to pay $45 in shipping for a $45 mount...
tks,

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Very useful information guys! Not long ago read about a new antenna that works with BOTH FM AND CB RADIOS? I've procrastinated about getting CB wired into truck, as was just using a handheld with magnetic antenna that has its limitations! Anybody know of this combo mount antenna?

Thanks for any help!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
I think Nestah used to make those with the Firestik antennas. You might look up his build thread or others or check his website. I think it's nestahedition.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts