Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
If its going on the roof why not just use the NMO as intended and drill a .75' hole in the roof. It fixes the cable entry issue also. I have a 1/4 wave Larsen there and it reaches out pretty well. You can always swap it out for a longer one when needed. If you want the rack mount, the aluminum weight clamps shown work great.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If its going on the roof why not just use the NMO as intended and drill a .75' hole in the roof. It fixes the cable entry issue also. I have a 1/4 wave Larsen there and it reaches out pretty well. You can always swap it out for a longer one when needed. If you want the rack mount, the aluminum weight clamps shown work great.
I had tossed around the idea of drilling a hole in the roof. But, for now I'll just stick it on the roof rack. The plus to it is, it's not permanent.

Where did you drill your hole? Center? front? rear?
When we go on trips, there is normally a roof top box on the rack, so I couldn't do center.
Rear might would work.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had tossed around the idea of drilling a hole in the roof. But, for now I'll just stick it on the roof rack. The plus to it is, it's not permanent.

Where did you drill your hole? Center? front? rear?
When we go on trips, there is normally a roof top box on the rack, so I couldn't do center.
Rear might would work.
Mine is centered about 12 inches in front of where the dome light sits. About 10 inches behind my air dam. I'll try to take a picture.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Parts and pieces started coming in yesterday. Now only if the rain would go away long enough to actually get anything done.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here is one option for "NMO" mount. I tried one of the antenna mounts we use at our radio-shop. I tweeked the bends with a vice (closer to 90 degree) in this AT-10-3/4. I have a number of "NMO" mounts on the OEM roof-rack. I have not run the coaxes through the piping since I am contemplating another roof rack. I tie-wrapped the coaxes along the tubing to the hinge side of the rear door and down until I got to the rubber boot. Since then, I have drilled and installed a 1/2" compression fitting to bring the runs in and a spare conductor or two (for lighting)
Steve

AT10 Antenna Bracket - West Crystal Company
Nice! That is similar to the way I'm doing it.
Also, thanks for the link! :grin:
I'm thinking about ordering one of those mounts to do the antenna on the tacoma.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
I have since replaced this with a motorized mount. But years ago I built this to mount a 2 m/70cm antenna. This attaches to one of the vertical tubes on the rack. If mounted low I could fold the antenna over and it would be below the level of the top of the rack.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have since replaced this with a motorized mount. But years ago I built this to mount a 2 m/70cm antenna. This attaches to one of the vertical tubes on the rack. If mounted low I could fold the antenna over and it would be below the level of the top of the rack.
That's a nice idea! Wish I had thought of that.. :)
Ya know that's the nice thing about this forum.
All the cool ideas that folks come up with and are able and willing to share them.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
G'Day,
I went a slightly different route, than MJ...but the same concept...
[/URL][/IMG]
Just to give you idea's..

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Dang, that is LEGIT Baz! very nice indeed.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I might have... can't remember if I did, or didn't
Let me go look
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
:cool:

I'm curious to know how you did your bracket underneath.
I previously found a thread that explained how it was done, but it was an old thread and all the pictures were gone.
I also found in a previous thread where someone was discussing a light/antenna mount for that location. But I'm guessing that didn't pan out.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That worked out rather nicely!
So the rubber piece is the same as what's on the original antenna.
And looks like for the mount a previous hole was used, just needed a longer bolt and extra washers to elevate the bracket.

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
That worked out rather nicely!
So the rubber piece is the same as what's on the original antenna.
And looks like for the mount a previous hole was used, just needed a longer bolt and extra washers to elevate the bracket.
G'day Mate,
Yes, the rubber external mount is OE, with a longer bolt n spacers to lift the new bracket to the desired height.
Hardest part is making sure the hole is lined up.
I have further modified it again, and drilled out the centre of the OE rubber cover to fit a different style spring and gain antenna, but the basics are the same.
cheers
Baz
:blueblob;

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
G'day Mate,
Yes, the rubber external mount is OE, with a longer bolt n spacers to lift the new bracket to the desired height.
Hardest part is making sure the hole is lined up.
I have further modified it again, and drilled out the centre of the OE rubber cover to fit a different style spring and gain antenna, but the basics are the same.
cheers
Baz
:blueblob;
Thanks for sharing the pics and info.
I'm planning to borrow your idea. :grin:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts