Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
LoJack makes a system the police can use to track down stolen vehicles.

There are a lot of companies who make GPS and cell phone system triangulation trackers, either cheap ones that plug directly into the OBDII port (which would make them also pretty easy to find and remove by an unauthorized user, I guess), and ones which can be remotely located, either with dedicated power supply or for more money, with built in batteries with up to 6 month power. These can be set up with a geo fence, and an alarm to notify you the moment it is moved. Also breadcrumbs, max speed and other tracking things to monitor anyone driving it. All of those options do include a monthly/annual fee for subscription to the GPS or the cell phone system.

A locked garage is a big safety deterrent, if available.

Finally, a good agreed value insurance policy so that you will get the true value, and not just the book value without your modifications.

Norm

·
Admin
6,588 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
What’s the recommendation for anti theft device on my 2008 FJ

I've been a car audio installer (specializing in car alarms) for over 30 yrs.. my suggestion is a Viper (or Directed Electronics Variant), Python, Clifford, Avital.. they offer tons of features depending on your wants & needs.. I currently have a Viper 5706v alarm with remote engine start, it comes with a 2way pager lcd remote (they claim 1 mile range.. I've tested to about 300yrds myself). I also added Viper Smart Start which is a gps tracking device that I can track from my smartphone. This gives me UNLIMITED RANGE for control an notifications if the alarm goes off or if the FJ is moved (towed or if some Valet dude decides my FJ doesn't belong next to a Bentley) I have 3 yr unlimited contract with the smart start app.. all said an done the average price with install is about $900 (service contract included)

that said real security isn't cheap.. an entry level system will be about $250 installed. Make sure to have a LICENSED INSTALLER or Shop perform your install.. (an request a "high security "install meaning the hide the alarm brain in a very hard to reach area.. this makes it much harder for a knowledgeable thief to locate an bypass it.. (understand that any an EVERY system is only a theft deterrent nothing can stop someone who truly wants to steal it.. but time is your best friend.. the longer it takes them to steal it.. the better the chances of them getting caught) also make sure they connect the horn honk feature the more noise your fj makes the better..

lastly people will comment 1k is too much too spend on an alarm... I argue that my truck is worth 30k plus at least 15k worth of addons.. plastic dog doo or a monkey in the back seat or any other $99 false sense of Security are pointless.. may as well leave the keys on the seat with the $99 in cash so the have gas enough to get away...

if u value your fj... protect it Properly...

side note.. Viper smart start has a "low battery alert" setting. (I was in Vegas on vacay) my FJ was at Orlando International Airport.. I got a low batt alert while at the bar 😏😏 I remote start my truck FROM VEGAS.. it ran for 30mins (my programmed runtime).. when I returned 3days later... we jumped in an drove home.... Priceless!!!!!

by the way if u sell the fj take the alarm with u.... duh...

·
Registered
31 Posts
An yeah full coverage GAP insurance (listing any addons) as Norm said.. I actually make money if my fj comes up missing... but they won't dare try!!!☠☠

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
by the way, regarding alarms, if you are going to use a siren, or the horn to make noise, make sure you are in earshot, or it won't do a thing (no one, and that includes no one cares if a car alarm goes off, except to hate the person who's stupid alarm keeps making noise)

Key point: the noise is the very least part of a security system.

I agree with Shibumi1: instead, an app that contacts YOU is more effective, and worth every nickel (and for the service fee it won't be free).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts