Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aftermarket front and rear bumpers going on, a Maggiolina tent, and maybe a Fridge and winch... Anyone have any guidance on wether I am better off sticking with the Bilstein's on the TT or going to the OME Heavy kit?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but from what I've read and learned on here you're definitely better going to OME. From what I know, the spring rate for the TT coils are the same as stock, it's only the shocks that are different. I'd also go with OME shocks, though you might be ok staying with the Bilstein's, someone with more knowledge can answer that.

The front bumper and tent will warrant mediums, maybe heavies, but with the winch I'd definitely think heavies were in order. You also may need heavies in the back, though mediums may be ok.

Plus, more than anything, with the OME you get the lift :cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I went from the mediums to the heavies. I have the ARB on the front and rear with winch in the front and lots of gear in the back. When I have the fridge plus my storage sytem loaded with tools and recovery gear it is a comfortable ride even with 1/4 tank of fuel. When I'm not carrying the fridge or extra gear it is quite stiff unless I keep it at about 1/2 tank of fuel and my storage sytem stays in all the time. With what your descibing I think you would be ok with the heavies. They will hold the height alot better than the mediums and support the weight with less sag than the mediums. I'm very happy with my OME set-up and have not had any issues offoad even with full flex and extension. I would however recommend installing the OME shocks at the same time as they are made to work with the OME coils. Give TRDparts4U a call. Got mine from them and got a great price and support. Yes there are better suspensions, but for the money it's a good proven suspension.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
For bumpers like the EXP1 front and rear, winch, fridge, and other gear, i'd go 886s up front, and 896s in the rear to handle the weight.

Rear: the 895s are really designed to lift a stock rear or maybe one with a little bit of extra cargo.
The 896s are best suited for if you are adding a steel rear bumper and going to be carrying good bit of cargo when out.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys! Certainly leaning ARB at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts