Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a 6 month old black lab shepard mix. In a few months I don't think he will have any problem getting in an out of the FJ comfortably, but right now he is a skittish adolescent who has some growing to do. Do you have any advice on how you keep your dogs comfortable in your big truck? Do you use a seat belt harness, do you put the seats down, do you use a bed? I have never had my own dog before and have never had a dog in my FJ so I'm not sure how to keep him happy. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have a dog "blanket" that connects from the front head rest to the back head rest. It keeps the seat clean and the dog seems to like riding like that.
Keep the dog occupied or it will chew your rig to bits. (You've been warned)
Chew toys are your friend. Labs are notorious chewers (I've had 4 of them, one at a time). I had one remove the linoleum from a room in my house. A three foot wide strip twelve feet long. Don't EVER hit your dog your hands are for showing affection to your dog. BUY a good dog book and read it they will teach you good training tips. Good luck with your new best friend. ......:bigthumb:

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I have a dog "blanket" that connects from the front head rest to the back head rest. It keeps the seat clean and the dog seems to like riding like that.

You got a pic of this?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I bought a few feet off a roll of anti-fatigue matting from Lowes (about 10 bucks)

I then cut it to the shape of the back seats once they are folded down. It keeps the back of the seats from getting all scratched up, gives them something softer to lay on, a firm spot for them to grip when they are standing and the vehicle is turning, keeps dirt from getting between the seats. I usually place a towel over where the seat bottoms stick up as my golden likes to lay against and put her head on this area and get her fur stuck on the bottom of the seats.

Oh and keep some glass cleaner around to wipe all the nose drool off the windows :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You got a pic of this?
I'll try to post one up tomorrow if you promise not to laugh at the dirt on it. I bring my dog everywhere with me. The blanket is washable and waterproof. ........:bigthumb:

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have an 8 yr old yellow Lab. He is the best dog we have ever had and we have had many. "Woody" perfers the back of the FJ. I bought a dog bed at Costco which fits PERFECTLY in the back (behind the seats) of the FJ. It fits so nicely you would think its custom. Anyway he likes it back there especially with the back window open. Dont drive with it open...exhaust fumes come in...bad for the dog. We mainly use it to take him to the beach to run around with the other dogs. Clean up in the FJ is a breeze too.

As far as getting him in it, I tried ramps but he just is a bit afraid of them so.....I just lift all 85 lbs of him in and out. Not a big deal really. Nothing really he can hurt back there and yes the plastic does scratch easily.

As another poster mentioned, read all you can about proper care. Labs are unbelievable dogs and they will give back much more than you ever put into them.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would never hit an animal! I had a family dog once when I was a child, but this is the first dog that is completely mine. I am very excited.

Does anyone find a ramp helpful or is it a waste of money?

Edit:
08FJ I just saw what you said about ramps. This particular pup seems scared of his own shadow so I'm doubting he is going to want to go near a ramp. I'm afraid to physically pick him up when I pick him up at the shelter on Friday because he is being neutered tomorrow morning! Kinda makes me wish I had a smaller car just for one day.

·
2,555 Posts
Your dog is a puppy, make it learn to jump. You don't want to deal with ramps and or lifting your dog. I recently adopted a 2yr old 135lb Newfoundland that showed up in my driveway. He was not car trained. I will not pick him up. I stopped feeding him on the ground, and put his food in the back of the FJ. If he wanted to eat he had to jump in and get it.

Our Doberman found this quite frustrating as we didn't leave food out, but in all actuality he probably helped speed the process up by jumping in and showing him how it's done.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
My 75lbs golden retriever can jump into the back of my 80 series Land Cruiser with the lower tailgate still up and not even touch it. The top of the lower tailgate is right at the middle of my chest, so about a 5 foot jump. I dunno about y'all, but i have more trouble keeping my dogs OUT of the truck rather than getting them in. If they see me put my shoe on and the door is open, they run to the back of the truck before i can put the second one on. :lol:

I am sure your pup can manage the back of the FJC ;)

If you don't want to pick him up, have one of the Vet technicians do it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
My dogs just ride in the seat. Kaiser, my Beagle/****er Spaniel mix he's the a$$hole redheaded stepchild of the family, he would like to ride in the front seat, but I make him sit in the back 60% of the bench (baby seat takes up the other 40%). Winnie my little daddy's girl, is a mutt. We adopted her from some rather...economically challenged white folk. They said she was a Lab, but as she's grown up, she's Pitt something, maybe some Lab in her, but she's a Pitt. She sits in the front seat, and the only way she wont sit up front is if there is a person or stuff up there. I don't have any pads or anything. I wear the claw marks and hair as badges of honor to show to the world I love dogs.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^^1,000 post!!! How should I celebrate???^^^

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
^^^by not making anymore :lol::cheers:

Edit:
08FJ I just saw what you said about ramps. This particular pup seems scared of his own shadow so I'm doubting he is going to want to go near a ramp. I'm afraid to physically pick him up when I pick him up at the shelter on Friday because he is being neutered tomorrow morning! Kinda makes me wish I had a smaller car just for one day.
Get a ramp to save your dogs joints. Jumping out of SUVs (especially lifted ones) puts a lot of stress on the dogs joints which accumulates over time. Unless you want to be dealing with joint pains down the line (which both shephered & labs tend to have) then you need to either lift the dog out or give it a ramp.

Your dog is a puppy, make it learn to jump. You don't want to deal with ramps and or lifting your dog. I recently adopted a 2yr old 135lb Newfoundland that showed up in my driveway. He was not car trained. I will not pick him up. I stopped feeding him on the ground, and put his food in the back of the FJ. If he wanted to eat he had to jump in and get it.
Don't agree with the advice. Jumping in isn't as bad on a dogs joints. Its jumping down which tends to load them excissively do to the force. Ask any vet and they will recommend that you don't allow your dog to jump from heights as it will only lead to or enhance joint problems later in life.

My recommendation would be to pick up a roll up ramp. Lightweight and packs easy.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^by not making anymore :lol::cheers:
But FJNewb, this is the only thing keeping me off of drugs and out of the streets. I was paired up with the fjcruiserforum through the Big Brother program. I guess real big brothers are becoming so scarce that now they team us inner city troubled youth with automobile forums. I don't want to go back to working the streets like I did before. :head: :mecry:

No I think I'll celebrate by being more FJ obsessive. Take that moral majority!

To the actual topic, what is a roll up ramp, never heard of that.

·
2,555 Posts
Don't agree with the advice.
Different strokes for different folks. The same could be said about all living things. Arthritis is the same in humans or animals. My dogs enjoy jumping in the car, just like my wife enjoys running marathons. I don't plan to tell either to stop. Perhaps you're worried b/c German Shepards are more prone to Hip Dysplasia? If you don't mind carrying a ramp around, do it.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Nope not worried about GSD specifically. My Finacees parents have had golden retreivers for ages and currently have 3. The only ones to develop major joint and elbow issues were the ones which they had when they had a jeep. The dogs would always jump out of the jeep which only added to vet bills & surgery needs down the line.

I'm not sure I understand your logic - its a dog, there are lots of things dogs like to do, but neccessarily shouldn't in all situations. I.e I've got a co-worker with a lab who tore an acl due to overexertion when chasing a ball. Now the dog still loves to chase a ball and if the owner threw it it should as heck would - but do you really think thats a good idea on a surgically repaired ACL? Some dogs like to eat poo when they are pups, would I really encourage my dog to continue doing so because he liked it? Would I let them lay on my couch cause they like it better than the floor? I'm sure there are 1000's of examples that act as counterpoints to mine (such as your wifes running), but I'm not aiming to get in a lengthy philosophy discussion on dog training.

It doesn't matter to me what the OP or yourself do. I'm just pointing out an educated fact which veterinarians always mention and that I have seen occur myself. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If I were you I would get a crate to keep in the back of the truck. It will keep you and your dog as safe as possible and keep your FJ from being scratched or chewed. Dogs are den animals, they don't mind being in crates.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts