Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering Mickey Thompson ATZ radials.
My FJ has front W/E coilovers that I have adjusted to level my rig.
I don't like the uber gay P265 Rugged Trail T/A's that came stock.
The M/Thompson specs show the LT 275's 10 pounds heavier than their 265's,
the 275's are a load range C, and roughly an inch wider as well as an inch taller.
The 265's are a load range E which would likely yield a stiffer ride (which may be fine)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Go bigger it adds clearance underneath...you should consider if you are spending the money to go for some 285's:D I'm running walker evans with the body mount chop and 305/70/16's no rubbing, I could easily run the 315/70/16 with minor modifications. I ran 285's with just a body mount chop for a year with no rubbing also....do a search you will find tons of info on tire sizing and body mount chops. GO BIG

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am considering Mickey Thompson ATZ radials.
My FJ has front W/E coilovers that I have adjusted to level my rig.
I don't like the uber gay P265 Rugged Trail T/A's that came stock.
The M/Thompson specs show the LT 275's 10 pounds heavier than their 265's,
the 275's are a load range C, and roughly an inch wider as well as an inch taller.
The 265's are a load range E which would likely yield a stiffer ride (which may be fine)
Yo..I went with the 275x70x17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor with a Daystar kit..on stock wheels..no rub and they are def..little meatier than the 265...OUT>

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just go with the 275s, they give the FJ better clearance and better offroad.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yo..I went with the 275x70x17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor with a Daystar kit..on stock wheels..no rub and they are def..little meatier than the 265...OUT>
Do you have any photos? I'm thinking about changing out my BF TA KO's for the Wrangler SA's on my TT SE.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only reason to go to 275's, in my opinion, is if your FJ stays stock. Since you have WE coilovers you may as well go to a 285.

Zane

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I've been running 285's for a while now with the OME lift. No chop and no rub on the frame. It does rub on the plastic mud flap over the body mount, but not the mount itself. I've currently got bridgestone dueler revo AT tires and they handle surprisingly well off road and very well on the street. Especially in snow, slush, and ice.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The only reason to go to 275's, in my opinion, is if your FJ stays stock. Since you have WE coilovers you may as well go to a 285.

Zane
Lift doesn't matter. (except long travel or 6" lifts) If the tire fits with a lift...it will fit without a lift. The 275's seem to be the biggest size you can go with and not rub...on any FJ. No body mount chop. There are the 255/85 R16's and 34x10.5 16's out there that don't rub as well.

Besides, the 275's look like the size the FJ should have come with from the factory. Especially in a nice mud terrain. :) I find it questionable that someone recommends that you swap out your BFG's because it's common for them to 'shimmy'. I've never had a problem with BFG tires...they have always performed well for me. It's totally possible that you have a bad BFG but I'd deal with that under warranty. Ditching the 'uber-ghey' Rugged Trails is a fine reason to swap and the 275's are a great size...no real loss of power or mileage that you seem to get when you jump to 285's; from what I've read. I run the 275's and am happy with this size on the FJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts