Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little inside help from anyone in the area.
I'm heading back out to Colorado Springs on the first week of July. Going back to see my cousins and Uncle. Want to do some trail running this time instead of just going up Pikes Peak. And the other little off road things we did. Took the FJ out there for that last trip. Only after having it for about 6 months. And doing it again now after a slight bit of modifications have been completed. I posted a few pics in the member buildups section for Ziggy's 2007 storm chase vehicle.
They think we should head down to Royal Gorge and the Sand dunes.
I still want to do some things around the Colorado Springs area. I have a 2nd edition of Charles Wells "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" book that lists 75 trails with maps. With this group, looking for suggestions on easy to moderate trails. If I have my Uncle along. He's getting up there in age so don't want to push it too much. Also hoping to put my cousins Lexus SUV through it's paces. I think it's too fancy for doing any real off road driving.
Kind of put the FJ through it's new setup on some trial runs on the back roads here in Kansas over the last few days. Semi-sorta strom chasing. NO pics taken. More interested at the time of what I can do on the some dry and wet back roads with some speed involved. I was by myself so taking pictures and driving at the same time are somewhat ill advised. I have done it before in the old vehicle.
Anyone have any good suggestions?

Ziggy/Mark

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I don't know what will be open this time of year with all the snow you guys had in CO over the winter.

Medano Pass is great in summer....but it may be snowed in....with lots of deep water crossings. Drops you out near the Great Sand Dunes National Monument. Not real close to CS, but not horribly far either.

Personally, I'd hit Penrose or even Blanca Peak....but that's considerably harder than what you are looking for unless they've opened some more tame trails near Penrose.

Sean

·
Registered
876 Posts
With this group, looking for suggestions on easy to moderate trails. If I have my Uncle along. He's getting up there in age so don't want to push it too much. Also hoping to put my cousins Lexus SUV through it's paces. I think it's too fancy for doing any real off road driving.
Ziggy/Mark
You may want to check out Rampart Range most of the trails are rated 1 - 4 with a couple in the 4 - 6 and 6 - 8 ranges. We were down there a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't any snow, we're also going again this Sunday.

Rampart Range Road

Dakan Road

Ice Cave Creek Road

Mount Herman Road

Hotel Gulch

Fern Creek

Schubarth Road

Illinois Gulch

Winding Stairs Road

·
Registered
204 Posts
Check out traildamage.com. It has lots of suggestions for trail in Colorado, with pics, ratings and reviews. You should be able to find more than a few trails that are open and have little or no snow. A bunch of us ran Metberry Gulch down that way in late April and there wasn't a flake of snow in sight. There's only one tricky place (for me anyway, with a completely stock Sandstorm at the time) over wet rocks. It might have been easier if I had aired down. Live and learn. Have fun when you get here.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information folks: ) I appreciate it. Looking forward to getting back out there again in July. With now an even more prepared vehicle. As for now. Since the ARB sliders showed up today. It's time to update the buildup page. With an interesting twist in how this is going to go.
Again Thanks:
Zig

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts