Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to start this off as "FJ owners" but might as well open it up. I see the FJ Cruiser in a completely different marketing segment as the current Land Cruiser, but hey why not.

I have a 1972 FJ40. Canary yellow, bikini topped, trimmed & welded doors (not my doing). Up on 33s, but still the stock 258ci I6, 3spd twin-stick 4x4. Some previous owner tried to make it look like a j**p/sand-runner - all mods were strictly fashion, not form. I've been undoing that. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have any current photos, but here are a couple from the late 90s ...

Those tires/rims are gone and there's a handful of other minor cosmetic changes - the big changes have gone into functional stuff. And it is for sale ... but since Toyota started threatening us with their new FJ Cruiser, I've been reconsidering, because I think it would be pretty freaking sweet to fill my driveway with a '72 and an '06 Cruiser ... :D

So, what's everybody else got?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have an 86 FJ60 with about 180K miles. We use ours has a 3rd vehicle/ weekend truck so the new FJ would not really be a direct replacement in our household (the FJ would be my daily driver). It'll be tough, but I also plan to sell the 60. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've always toyed with the idea of getting an FJ40, but mainly the engine is what killed it for me and I refuse to drive a Toyota with a Chevy engine in it.
I found a place that fully restores them, but damn are the expensive, more than the FJ Crusier will be!

I've owned a 95 1/2 Tacoma SX (4 cyl, reg. cab., 5 Speed), 99 Tacoma SR5 (V6, TRD), 00 4Runner SR5 (V6, 5 speed), and I currently own a 01 4Runner SR5 (V6, Auto).

I can't wait to get an FJ, but for me it will be about a year wait. :(

D

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
im about to say something that may make some people a bit upset, but deal with it! :D

In my opinion the first and second generation 4runner (84-95, particularly 84-85 with Solid Axle) are more of a spiritual continuation of the Land Cruiser than anything (in the us, of course, BJ70s rock) that came after the 60 series. sure, they still had a solid axle till '97 and are still great off road vehicles, but once the 80 series came out they started getting 1) too dang big and 2) too dang plush.

vehicles that should have worn the Land Cruiser name, in my opinion:

40 - 45 - 55 - 60 - 1st and 2nd gen 4runner - fj cruiser

any cruiser heads wanna gimme their opinion on this?

post script - i would kill a dozen children if it would get them to bring the 70 series to the US! :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen some pretty capable 80s on the trial, but only after a seriously hefty cash infusion and major replacement surgery. I kept my mouth shut (since it was my first post!) but I tend to agree with your assessment of Land Cruisers of late - they're more like Mall Terrain Vehicles.
But you can't forget the 45s and 55s!

climbonice ... my 40 isn't a Chevota. It's TEQ through and through. Intersted? :D I've seen the restos, too - they are pricey. Nice, but pricey. Gotta be a rich die-hard to own/drive one of those IMO. Myself, I'd just as soon put all that $ into another motorcycle nowadays ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the original owner of a '77 FJ40 cruiser. I have kept it original. The 2F engine is just now starting to burn oil. About a quart of oil every 800 to 900 miles. It has over 280K miles.
I agree it would be great to have a 2006 FJ cruiser parked nexted to it in my driveway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brent Sayer said:
I am the original owner of a '77 FJ40 cruiser. I have kept it original. The 2F engine is just now starting to burn oil. About a quart of oil every 800 to 900 miles. It has over 280K miles.
I agree it would be great to have a 2006 FJ cruiser parked nexted to it in my driveway.
Bravo man, that's freakin awesome. 280k on a 2F lump. The history on mine is so convoluted, I'm not sure if it's got 60k or 160k on its 2F. But it runs like a top. Original owner too - man, that's a fine thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I currently have 2 Cruisers:
a '77 FJ40 that is my primary vehicle in Colorado and a '89 FJ62 that's the daily driver in New York City.
The 40 runs great but the cancer is getting to the critical stage, IT's my seoncd '40 that I"ve had since about '96. It has a replacement engine from an '81 fj40, otherwise it's pretty stock, but with lifts and winch, roll cage etc...
The 62 has about 215K miles on it and running super strong. It has Old Man Emu suspensio but is otherwise stock. It's beautiful, bought it in Texas about 5 years ago. In my neighborhood in New York, the fj60/62 is the SUV of choice, it's a very hipster / artist area and it's amazing how many have apeared on the streets in the past 3 years.
Will be looking to add the new FJ to the stable in Colorado, FJ40 is my favorite but it's really pretty dangerous on snow and ice and exahusting and dangerous for long highway trips. New FJ should fill that bill and be available for off-road detours too of course.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The new Fj Cruiser is going to increase the level of excitement. Everyone that does not already know is going to want to know about the heritage of where this new strange vehicle is coming from.

I owned a 78' Mustard Yellow and kick myself for getting rid of it every day.

My advice to all guys that currently have an older model FJ 40. KEEP IT.

The curiosity of the market is going to get more people to recognize what they are and just how capable they are. Also for all of us purchasing the new Fj Cruiser that will inevitably end up missing the top off, windshield down open air feeling that you can only get from the original, we may end willing to pay more for them later.

I think current Fj40 owners will see the value of their trucks go up because of the new Fj Cruiser...

Just my opinion. Don't like it. Thats cool!

Cruiserdude...:cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Topless4runner said:
im about to say something that may make some people a bit upset, but deal with it! :D

In my opinion the first and second generation 4runner (84-95, particularly 84-85 with Solid Axle) are more of a spiritual continuation of the Land Cruiser than anything (in the us, of course, BJ70s rock) that came after the 60 series. sure, they still had a solid axle till '97 and are still great off road vehicles, but once the 80 series came out they started getting 1) too dang big and 2) too dang plush.

vehicles that should have worn the Land Cruiser name, in my opinion:

40 - 45 - 55 - 60 - 1st and 2nd gen 4runner - fj cruiser

any cruiser heads wanna gimme their opinion on this?

post script - i would kill a dozen children if it would get them to bring the 70 series to the US! :eek:
TRUE.

That said, I have a '76 40, yellow, 33s, PS, 350 SBC, no top. I had to take the boat anchor 2F motor out a couple years ago becasue it just became too damn expensive to maintain at its high mileage and a rebuild was needed. I threw in a 4bm 350 for probably cheaper than a 2F rebuild and I'm not sorry. I did however keep the stock 4 speed which works great. The only problem is the thing is never running more than a few months before I tear it down for another conversion such as PS, engine, suspension, etc. ongoing etc...

This new FJ will give me my offroad fix while the original one is always being improved.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I will throw my 2 cents in as well......I sold my '85 fj 60 a few years ago for a 95 fj 80. All I can say is I miss my I6 and I miss my stick. Im selling the 80 and getting a MT cruiser. The 85 fj 60 was my dream car in high school and I love it still. Kids and a commute made me abandon it. I feel guilty! I compromised with the 80.....forgive me guys. I do feel like i am going back though!

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK I know, diss me for having a 100 series. 1999... BUT, all the complaints about the FJ I have in the 100- and ideal tailgate, good vision front and rear, high quality interior, sunroof, more room for the kid(age 9) and dog+accessories. I have been in a lot of offroad spots (Utah, NM and Colorado)that no other Mall Cruiser could even touch!

AND, a week from this Friday, I am adding this to my beast:
-Slee front and rear steel bumpers, with tire and Hi Jack carrier
-Slee rock rails
-Old Man Emu 2" lift kit and Nitro shocks
-33" tires, probably Nitto Terra Grapplers
-Warn 9.5 Winch

So, I can go with the best and still hang with you when you get your FJ. I will be waiting for about a year or so until I get an FJ. Waiting for the dust to settle and actually test one before I buy. Hell, I might be so satisfied, I can run it to death before I get the FJ.

I've never had a problem in over 80,000 miles, so there. :p

I'll post a pic when it's done...

Chaz

·
Registered
169 Posts
i had my opportunity to buy back my wife's father's FJ60 that he drove in days of yore. but i wussed out and kept my 4runner instead. i love my runner, but i kick myself everyday for that manuever.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a heavily modified 1982 FJ-40 but it's not in the US, it's back home in Indonesia. Trying to sell it so I can get something else here.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Currently 77,78,79 FJ-40s and 1984 FJ-60. Or maybe it's an 82, I can't remember. In the past one other 1978 40, and two 1988 FJ-62s. Still lookin' for the 45/47 Troop Carrier to add to the collection.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I want to look at the FJ first. I have a strike against it for no sunroof. I have another strike against it because it will be sold at MSRP. When May gets here it looks like I will be in a '03 Land Cruiser or LX 470.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
chaz said:
OK I know, diss me for having a 100 series. 1999...
no way dude, its still a cruiser. a plush cushy wusmobile cruiser, but cruiser none the less. Under all that leather and burled walnut there is an off-road monster, its just a really friendly one. ill especialy give you props for wheeling it, most people who drive 100s think 4wd is for rainy days...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts