Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would go 285/70-17, for a number of reasons. This is my wheel/tire setup, I just installed it a couple days ago. But their size (wheel wise) is very close to what you have chosen.

Mine are 17x8.5 -6 offset, so yours would be 1/4" wider on each side compared with mine. You would likely find a 17x9" to be too wide for a 265/70-17. My 17x8.5 fits very nicely with the 285 profile. My father runs a 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W with a Fuel 17x9 wheel (on his Colorado), and in general I think the wheel is too wide for the tire. It still looks OK, but the tire definitely is pulled wide because of the wheel.

Funny fact: my FJ (which came with stock wheels and 265/70-17 tires) ran a little slow compared with its actual GPS-indicated speed. I would be doing an indicated ~72 or so but my GPS was at 70, and so on. When I installed the 285's, I tested this again and now its dead-nuts right. So I'm almost left to wonder if the FJ was originally designed with 285/70-17's (or 285/75-16's) in mind.

You might have to remove the mud flap, but you probably won't have to do a BMC. I have a Toytec Boss lift and JBA control arms which improves caster, but I don't know if that makes much of a difference in the wheel placement vs. the body mount. Most people running 285/70-17's seem to not have a problem. I would say do 285's for sure, plus the truck looks amazing with them.

Edit: Probably should also point out... do 5 not 4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to run the 265s because I just got a new set for short money. I was thinking of running 8.5 at 0mm offset but I wanted the wheels to stick out a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was going to run the 265s because I just got a new set for short money. I was thinking of running 8.5 at 0mm offset but I wanted the wheels to stick out a bit.
That's up to you. Mine stick out just a little bit at 17x8.5 -6. More than 6mm I assure you, but they are not too extreme.

But 17x8 would be better for a 265/70-17 tire size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any fitment issues? Updated

Update on my fitment question. So I went ahead and ordered the 17x9 with a -6 offset and had my tires mounted this morning. Have to say that I am very pleased with the way it looks and rides. I think the tires look beefy without compromising mpg. No rubbing anywhere. Happy with my purchase.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts