Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Been on here a few times inquiring about different things, and was wondering if anyone here who owns an FJ is paralyzed and how the rig is working for them ? I'm para;yzed from the waist down and would love to get an FJ, have been looking at them, and actually had a dealer pull one i nto the service bay fo me to experiment with. They were great about it and had a mech remove the two bolts that secure the rear passenger seat bottom that is behind the drivers seat. It's kind of a tight fit to get positioned next to vehichle when both doors are open, but it's do-able. I can get in, but it's again tricky to move seat forward enough and pull seatback forward to allow enough room to pull chair up and in....would be nice if the drivers seat was elctric to move at least fore and aft, but I realize this is a utility rig and most don't need it. It's easy getting chair out, but once out, there's not alot of room to negotiate chair down to ground once outside vehicle because of doors in open position. I can do it....just not as easy or practical as my two other trucks I have listed.

So I'm wondering if there are others who are paralyzed and any tips or suggestions they may have ?...I posted another question as to wether the drivers seat could be made electric, and someone responded that maybe a 4-runner seat would be compatible ??? Does anyone know if a Rav4 o 4-runner seat would match up to bolt platform and work ?

Thanks to anyone with tips or advice !!!

RHoppe

·
Registered
202 Posts
Chris Marsolais the owner of Lucrum Industries is paralyzed. I think he has some photos on his site of his rig. I hope to have one of his winch mounts on my FJ by this summer.

Lucrum Industries - Home

His website also list that in 2011 his wheelchair lift will be released for the fj. Hope this helps, welcome to the fourm and hope to see you out there!

http://www.lucrumind.com/Instructions.html

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome... give the guys at Disabled Explores a call. They have used a number of different rigs include an FJC

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I am. No feeling or function below the waist thanks to a hit-and-run driver 4 years ago. Part of the reason I bought this rig was because the suicide back door allowed me to put my wheelchair in the back seat easily. If you have enough upper body strength to pull yourself up into the truck and then lean over and haul your wheelchair up the distance, you'll be fine. In fact, I really like having such a capable rig here in the snowy north so I don't have to worry about getting stuck and being stranded just because I can't walk.

One thing to consider is your chair's construction type. I have a rigid frame Ti Lite that I take the wheels off of, fold the top down and put in the back seat. Works perfectly. You can PM me if you'd like more info or want to ask other stuff. Happy to help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am. No feeling or function below the waist thanks to a hit-and-run driver 4 years ago. Part of the reason I bought this rig was because the suicide back door allowed me to put my wheelchair in the back seat easily. If you have enough upper body strength to pull yourself up into the truck and then lean over and haul your wheelchair up the distance, you'll be fine. In fact, I really like having such a capable rig here in the snowy north so I don't have to worry about getting stuck and being stranded just because I can't walk.

One thing to consider is your chair's construction type. I have a rigid frame Ti Lite that I take the wheels off of, fold the top down and put in the back seat. Works perfectly. You can PM me if you'd like more info or want to ask other stuff. Happy to help.
I PM'd You !! Thanks !!

Rhoppe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions !

Rhoppe

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Welcome... give the guys at Disabled Explores a call. They have used a number of different rigs include an FJC
x2!!

If anyone would know about this and FJ Cruisers, it'd be Lance at Disabled Explorers. He now has a SportsMobile (Large Ford 4x4 Van designed for expeditions). He has taken out countless folks in wheel chairs in his FJC and probably has more knowledge on this topic than anyone.

He is on here as 1leglance.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
So I'm wondering if there are others who are paralyzed and any tips or suggestions they may have ?...I posted another question as to wether the drivers seat could be made electric, and someone responded that maybe a 4-runner seat would be compatible ??? Does anyone know if a Rav4 o 4-runner seat would match up to bolt platform and work ?

RHoppe
I am nearly 99% positive that a 4Runner power seat would work. The only thing is that you'd have to provide power to the seat. This could easily be done with some simple wiring.

Though, you will probably be buying the seat out of a junkyard 4Runner. The manual seat in the FJ alone retails at 3 grand from the dealership!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts