Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving to Colorado Springs in 2 weeks never been there I'll be stationed at Fort Carson and need some extra help. I've searched a ton of sites but so far found maybe 2 houses in my price range wondering if anyone knows a good company to go through and if renting is really that expensive there or they just know the going military rate for renting? I'm trying not to go over a 1,000 for a 3 bedroom that allows pets and is fairly new but seems like the ones I find are either ghetto or to much

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Rents have gone up a lot here in the Springs. It is going to be hard to find a 3 bed house in a good neighborhood for less than $1000. My friend just rented a house for a $1000 a month. It is a basic ranch with no basement, one car garage, outdated everything, about 900-1000 sqft, and it's not in a bad neighborhood, but not a desirable one either. It does have a big yard though that would be good for pets.

We have a house that we are getting ready to rent. It is in a decent neighborhood, big yard, new gourmet kitchen with granite and stainless, one car, full basement, good storage, most everything has been updated, but it was built in 1959 and we will be asking $1200 for it

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ya they really need to raise the BAH rates for military there. I'm about 5 months out from a $300 raise to BAH and promotion but its not for sure. I found one I really like but I have no idea what neighborhoods are good and what are bad. Id shoot for on post but theres a 14 month wait.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Wow I didn't realize there was a 14 month wait for on post. If you want, PM me where you are looking and I will try to give you the low down on the area. I have lived here since 2004, but my fiancé has lived here all of her life and is fairly familiar with the area.

MM

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hey there, So as you can see Housing can be A little tricky out here at FtCarson. First off you should have been assigned a sponser to help you as you get ready to PCS but in case you haven't bee here is a good link that many servicemembers use to help find off post housing here in the springs.

It's: https://www.ahrn.com/

It's the Automated Housing Refferal network. In a nutshell, people who wish to rent their homes to military get cleared through post (make sure there aren't any scams, overpriced, etc...) Then the post puts them up on the system (it's a ft carson/ DOD website). It's helped me and a bunch of other soldiers it's also what the Housing Dept will tell you to officially use.

Hope it helps and WELCOME!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Rents have gone up a lot here in the Springs. It is going to be hard to find a 3 bed house in a good neighborhood for less than $1000. My friend just rented a house for a $1000 a month. It is a basic ranch with no basement, one car garage, outdated everything, about 900-1000 sqft, and it's not in a bad neighborhood, but not a desirable one either. It does have a big yard though that would be good for pets.

We have a house that we are getting ready to rent. It is in a decent neighborhood, big yard, new gourmet kitchen with granite and stainless, one car, full basement, good storage, most everything has been updated, but it was built in 1959 and we will be asking $1200 for it
Hi Mountain Mike,
I replied a little bit ago with a telling back in black about the Army's housing referral program. I was just thinking if you want to get some exposure to help rent your home especially if you wana help out a Soldier while your doing it. You might want to register there with them, that way you help a soldier out and maybe find a renter faster. Just a thought. :cheers:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya the wife already did that but everyone over charges because the know the rate for BAH so Im trying to avoid some places that go through the army. Im down for anywhere within 30 miles of post.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Ya the wife already did that but everyone over charges because the know the rate for BAH so Im trying to avoid some places that go through the army. Im down for anywhere within 30 miles of post.
Between the AFA, AF bases, and Ft Carson, everyone knows the BAH rates out here! lmao. Most people tend to be fair but you'll get what ya pay for out here. I'll keep my ears open and If i hear anything I'll be happy to let ya know. GOOD LUCK!:cheers:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ya my seems like nobody takes a family with a small dog either and houses jump off the market quick. I've got till end of July I figure but Im hoping to score and get lucky and find something newer with over 1,700 sq feet and 3 bedrooms at the least

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is a housing shortage in COS right now for sure. We've owned rental property here for 10 years, and have never seen rent increases at all until the last few years. Our biggest properties are doing the best because so many people have been foreclosed on and can't buy right now, so they are renting.

If you can buy, there's never been a better time to get into something. Even if you are military and might leave in a couple of years, just pick something that would make a good rental and plan on keeping it and using a property manager to handle it for you when you are gone. Should prove to be a great cashflowing investment in the near term, and an awesome asset in your portfolio for the long term.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Thats weird, when my wife and I got stationed at Carson in 09 there was a bunch of good sized homes for pretty cheap rent. Now all the rent is up and the prices of new homes are really low. my neighbor just bought a new home for 240k that has 3500 sqft. When we were searching for a rental house we talked to a realtor and he pointed out for the same price we were looking to rent we could buy. there are some nice areas all over town, just don't make my mistake and move to the other side of town as fort carson. it is nice to be away from the base but takes forever to get to work in the morning.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i just got into a house 10 min outside of town for $1300, the houses are out there you just have to look hard and know the right areas to look in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts