Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I received an "Official Observer Advisory Notice" for not providing ID every ten minutes. Which is probably true and obviously very common. Just wondering if receiving notices from ARRL member observers is common.

Registered
Wow. Someone actually reported you? While it is a condition of you license. Thats a DB thing to do. I have never heard of anyone getting one before you. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and be ever vigilant while in the air. Since I have had my license I have just gotten into the habit using my call all the time. Sometimes it can be annoying, but it keeps me off the FCC radar. Cheers
Mark
Kj4cuo:cool:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
OCtowboy and I were heading up North Main Divide, from Ortega Hwy to Santiago Peak. We were communicating on 2 meter/simplex, with no crosstalk of any kind, we did ID multiple times and I'm sure 10 minutes passed without an ID. About 40 min.s in we get an aggravated break into our communications asking for our ID, we provided it. Then asking our power, I was using 5 watts (my lowest setting, 1,500 watts is max. allowable). Then he asked where we were and so on.

Turned out to be an ARRL "OO", Official Observer. I read their operating guidelines on ARRL site. They are implicitly instructed to observe, record and report- with no transmitting-.

I would grant that transmitting and asking for ID would be necessary if ID is not being given, but any communication beyond that is clearly outside ARRL directives. ARRL is also very clear that observers are not HAM police. Their primary purpose is to assist other HAMs with reports on operations and other technical issues that the operator may not be aware of so they can be corrected. Their reports may be submitted as a complaint and may prompt the FCC to conduct their own investigation.

Since he told us we were not giving ID each 10mins there was no point is sending the card. The card is used because the Observer is directed to not transmit to the subject being observed. This Observer was just lording over us, then acting like he was trying to help us to follow the letter of the regulations, while he is clearly operating outside of ARRL Official Observer directives.

This observer is an Extra class license with no enforcement duties over a Technician License or unlicensed user for that matter. I am licensed by the FCC and not a member of the ARRL club which is not a licensing or enforcement body.

I actually like the card, it's physical proof of HAM snobbery and ARRL elitism exist. I have never heard of a member of AAA certified as an Observer leaving reports to licensed drivers about infractions. At least those reports would be related to life safety.

Most amateur operators are not jerks, most Extra licenses are very helpful and friendly. This guy was neither.

Registered
I also have never heard of this. I'm not too thrilled with a lot of things the ARRL does so Im not surprised that much. If its not from the FCC, well... You know...

There's a lot of people that want authority any way they can get it.

I'm glad they have time to monitor 2M simplex looking for you and making sure you ID and leave the guys on .435 alone (sarcasm ). Not to mention how bad 3.830 is last couple years. Pathetic, hope you got a call to remember him by...

Oh btw, I got a ticket on my trash can from the waste disposal technician saying I failed to keep palm fronds out of my green waste can awhile back. I'd equate this to that. It looked very official.

Registered
Wow that sucks. I hate the high and mighty snobs who roam about the airwaves.Sucks he was policing you for such a minor infraction after hearing how atrocious and abused some of the repeaters are last time i was down south.

Registered
I have received a few over the years (Ham since 1963). They don't hold much water but are a reminder, Now if you get one from the FCC that is another matter.

Registered
I have received a few over the years (Ham since 1963). They don't hold much water but are just a reminder. Now if you get one from the FCC that is another matter.

FJ Expeditions R Us
The premise of Amateur Radio is that it is self policing. I'm appalled at the level of griping here about what each and every one of you should also be doing! Help your fellow hams comply with the rules! Our frequencies are precious and we can lose them easily as there is only so much spectrum and lots of commercial demands for what little we enjoy for free!

Guys, the OO's are there to monitor and help fellow hams comply with FCC regulations. Sometimes they will even telephone someone who is in violation of the regulations in lieu of sending a card.

They spend countless hours monitoring. If they stop by and say hello consider it a friendly reminder.

It doesn't matter if you are on low power simplex or high power on a repeater, follow the rules and help your friends comply also.

cheers,

Dale

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
The premise of Amateur Radio is that it is self policing. I'm appalled at the level of griping here about what each and every one of you should also be doing! Help your fellow hams comply with the rules! Our frequencies are precious and we can lose them easily as there is only so much spectrum and lots of commercial demands for what little we enjoy for free!

Guys, the OO's are there to monitor and help fellow hams comply with FCC regulations. Sometimes they will even telephone someone who is in violation of the regulations in lieu of sending a card.

They spend countless hours monitoring. If they stop by and say hello consider it a friendly reminder.

It doesn't matter if you are on low power simplex or high power on a repeater, follow the rules and help your friends comply also.

cheers,

Dale

Absolutely follow the rules, including directives from ARRL for Official Observer's activities that were derived from a memorandum of understanding from the FCC.

A friendly ID request is common and not a problem for anyone. I should have ID'd more frequently. A request for ID followed by interrogation of location, power, activities, etc. is obnoxious for any ham and outside of the Observer program.

If you were party to the observer's conversation I sincerely doubt you would describe it as a "Friendly Reminder".

Premium Member
I'm not a HAM, but I'm really looking forward to becoming one. However, I can tell you the "over"-enthusiasts with anything can ruin it for the whole group, and it is a turn off to those of us interested in joining. It is one thing if someone is helping out and showing you the ropes. It's another thing entirely if someone just has too much time on their hands and just wants to beat someone up for not following every single rule every single time.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Amateur radio is a great tool for the trail and it sounds like you have a strong understanding of group dynamics. Fortunately I believe my experience is rare.

Clubs like the ARRL can be a great resource. I am not a member.

Some of their members are royal pains.

Registered
I got one from some wannabe in Michigan. I'm sure he was mad because I was talking right over the top of his head pointed to Europe and I have been known to start a pile up, lol. I know a few guys that have received one from the same guy. They either have to get some complaints or they have to follow you around until you slip up. I guess he thinks he is somebody special.

Registered
I can't delete with the app:confused:

Registered
Absolutely follow the rules, including directives from ARRL for Official Observer's activities that were derived from a memorandum of understanding from the FCC.

A friendly ID request is common and not a problem for anyone. I should have ID'd more frequently. A request for ID followed by interrogation of location, power, activities, etc. is obnoxious for any ham and outside of the Observer program.

If you were party to the observer's conversation I sincerely doubt you would describe it as a "Friendly Reminder".
You're right there was nothing friendly about it. It was very sarcastic and threatening.

Registered
Remember. ARRL is about the only stroke we have in DC when outside forces (AT&T, Verizon, etc) come knocking at the door wanting part of the HAM spectrum for their use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Registered
Remember. ARRL is about the only stroke we have in DC when outside forces (AT&T, Verizon, etc) come knocking at the door wanting part of the HAM spectrum for their use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That's true, its just that he could of been a little more professional about it instead of saying what he can do and what he thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts