Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been fighting this issue for some time now. I’ve replaced the MAF sensor, PCV, air filter, cleaned the throttle body, still getting this light.
I bought a BlueDriver OBD reader and cleared the code and it came back again. I would love to fix this issue if I knew what to fix. The MAF sensor I bought was off of Amazon, could this be the issue? Toyota dealership wanted $195.00 for the same thing. The one off of Amazon cost $50.00 and has Denso and Toyota on the top of it. Is there anyway to test a MAF sensor? Any suggestions or other things to look for? I even bought a URD catalytic converter simulator to take them out of the equation of things to replace. I do happen to have 224,000 miles on this little gem....
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
I had that issue/code after I installed a CAI. Like you, I cleaned MAF, throttle body, filter and in the end it was a small air leak coming through loose pipe clamps. Check em all and tighten. Hope it’s as simple as an air leak in your case.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
I loosened and retightened them all, even replaced hose clamps with with heavy duty racing style clamps. And replaced the O ring on the MAF (yours being new probably is fine). In my case the plastic tubes connecting to the air box had partially melted and were no longer round so I had to replace parts of the TRD intake. Another issue was the red rubber cuff which connects airbox to pipe was too short/not enough overlap, so Toyota warrantied that and replaced it as well. I’ve had zero problems for years now. All this is to say it’s very hard to determine where an air leak is if you cannot directly see it. Do you have a CAI? Have any pics?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,659 Posts
So you’ve made sure every hose is seated properly? And the clamps tight and in their channel? And did you ever also get a P0102? If so, I think it might be best to have it analyzed by Toyota.

BTW your engine bay is too clean :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never got a P0102 code. I'm almost to the point of bringing it to the dealership. I just don't have much faith in them. I don't mind paying if they get it right. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally have NO cel! Knock on wood! I bought a $12 MAF from ebay to replace the new $50 MAF I bought on Amazon. I tried a bunch of different fixes before I bought the ebay MAF. I figured that the new Amazon one couldn't be the issue. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I had issues with that MAF as well. It was surprising since it's a Denso. If you look at it compared to the factory MAF, it's missing the foam ring where the MAF connects to the intake. I'm not sure if that causes it to sit lower in the intake or if it's allowing un-metered air to enter the intake. Switched back to factory MAF and haven't had a code in years.

·
Desert Moderator
5,608 Posts
It says Denso & Toyota, but there are a bunch of fake parts around... Is there any way of verifying if it's genuine or not?
I'd leave a bad review on the seller's page either way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts