Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

801 - 820 of 852 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don’t post here often. One owner 07 fj here. 192k miles here. Other than sticking front calipers(the oem ones kept seizing all the time) which I have replaced with power stop calipers(15k miles and so far so good). Also the transmission cooling lines rusted out and those started leaking. I replaced the alternator 5k miles ago. I was still running the original battery in it but decided to change it since I was doing the alternator and also changed the serpentine belt since the alternator was off. Just been doing the usual oil changes utilizing Mobil 1 every 3k. Haven’t done a coolant flush but will probably do it sometime this month along with front, rear diff, tcase when it warms up. My biggest concern with this rig is really the rust on the underbody. I try to keep it clean and wash it at least once or twice a month but the salt they use in New England is brutal.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,995 Posts
I don’t post here often. One owner 07 fj here. 192k miles here. Other than sticking front calipers(the oem ones kept seizing all the time) which I have replaced with power stop calipers(15k miles and so far so good). Also the transmission cooling lines rusted out and those started leaking. I replaced the alternator 5k miles ago. I was still running the original battery in it but decided to change it since I was doing the alternator and also changed the serpentine belt since the alternator was off. Just been doing the usual oil changes utilizing Mobil 1 every 3k. Haven’t done a coolant flush but will probably do it sometime this month along with front, rear diff, tcase when it warms up. My biggest concern with this rig is really the rust on the underbody. I try to keep it clean and wash it at least once or twice a month but the salt they use in New England is brutal.
You made me smile...I’m at 140k and use Mobil1 every 3k mi also :smile Many people say I’m wasting oil but I say it’s cheap insurance for longevity :bigthumb: I’m very aggressive with weekly washes and annual undercoating as the VT salt is downright scary. Sounds like you’re doing an excellent job - here’s to the next 100k :cheers:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not to change this into another oil thread, but I’m at 9,800 miles on this oil change (castrol synthetic) It’s the first time I’ve gone over 5,000 miles on a oil change. The dealer said, “10K is no problem with synthetic.” I don’t know, I’ve driven over a million miles in Toyota’s. Never over 5K on a change. It just doesn’t feel right.
(145,000 mi. 25,000 are mine.) 2010 base model. Automatic. Mostly highway miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
6,699 Posts
You made me smile...I’m at 140k and use Mobil1 every 3k mi also :smile Many people say I’m wasting oil but I say it’s cheap insurance for longevity :bigthumb: I’m very aggressive with weekly washes and annual undercoating as the VT salt is downright scary. Sounds like you’re doing an excellent job - here’s to the next 100k :cheers:
I do this also. Oil is cheap for long life. Don't you wish we could do that to our bodies? :lol: Trying to preserve it with alcohol but I'm just not that diligent. :grin

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,995 Posts
Not to change this into another oil thread, but I’m at 9,800 miles on this oil change (castrol synthetic) It’s the first time I’ve gone over 5,000 miles on a oil change. The dealer said, “10K is no problem with synthetic.” I don’t know, I’ve driven over a million miles in Toyota’s. Never over 5K on a change. It just doesn’t feel right.
(145,000 mi. 25,000 are mine.) 2010 base model. Automatic. Mostly highway miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Given your mileage, I’d go ahead and “waste” some oil - keep it fresh for long life!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Almost reached at 242,000 miles* on my way home this evening. 2010 Trail Teams edition.

* Only about 150 of those are actually mine . . . just purchased this as the third owner. And yes, my wife and mother think I am crazy, but the FJ idles as smooth as any other vehicle I've owned and appears to be well taken care of (30 + dealer service logs for oil changes, fluids, brakes, etc.).

·
トヨタ Master
6,699 Posts
Another high mileage story. Not an FJ but I had a customer come in a couple of months ago. 1996 Tacoma with 3.4L, 484,000 miles, chasing a noise in the front end. He couldn't afford to keep sinking dough into it as he had just gotten laid off and was having a real life changing situation from his father passing. I took the truck off his hands and rebuilt the whole front end. We've driven it around a bit and decided to perform a tune up. I asked my tech to do a compression and the numbers were surprising, 120-150 psi. The owner had told me that he drove all over the country and had performed regular oil changes every 3k with conventional 5w30 Valvoline or Mobile oil and OE or Wix filters only. Truck still runs like a top, I sold it last Saturday for $3500 to a couple for their daughter's first vehicle. It should be great for that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
244,778 miles so far.... Getting close to a 1/4 million on my 2007 FJ TRD 6 speed manual. I've replace the clutch and the alternator along with 2 batteries, 2 sets plugs, and 7 sets of tires. Still going strong! Thanks Toyota!! 😀❤😀 (The only thing that keeps breaking is the windshield wiper control arm. After a few months with a new one I keep losing the ability to use the interment it or slow settings? Anyone else have this issue?? I've replace it 3 times so far.... $122 per time! Why?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's extremely encouraging ... I'm assuming this is an auto trans model?

If so, what preventive maintenance have you been performing on the transmission?
That's correct it's an AT, we simply drain and fill the pan about every 30,000km.....
Sometimes more often if we had been pulling the boat etc, sometimes less often if it was a few months of easy highway driving.
At near 350,000km I damaged one of the tranny oil cooler lines while offloading.
Immediately after that off-roading trip I had to spend a week away from home (IE away from tools and a place to work on the truck)
so we paid a local Toyota dealer to change the lines, at this point there was likely a much larger quantity of fluid changed out compared to our simple pan drain and fill routine.
Other then this, the only thing we've done is the pan drain and fills.

ALWAYS Toyota WS fluid.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
That's correct it's an AT, we simply drain and fill the pan about every 30,000km.....
Sometimes more often if we had been pulling the boat etc, sometimes less often if it was a few months of easy highway driving.
At near 350,000km I damaged one of the tranny oil cooler lines while offloading.
Immediately after that off-roading trip I had to spend a week away from home (IE away from tools and a place to work on the truck)
so we paid a local Toyota dealer to change the lines, at this point there was likely a much larger quantity of fluid changed out compared to our simple pan drain and fill routine.
Other then this, the only thing we've done is the pan drain and fills.

ALWAYS Toyota WS fluid.
Very useful info .... 30K kilometers = 18.6K miles, so there is a pretty frequent addition of fresh WS fluid with its "fresh" anti-shudder, anti-oxidant, and anti-corrosion additives.

Since you've managed to keep your original driveline running reliably for a longer period than some others have, I hope you don't mind a few additional questions:

Are you the original owner, and started performing the fluid changes at only 30K kilometers?

Do you have an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler installed?

By "Toyota WS fluid", you mean Toyota-branded WS ATF, and not just fluid meeting Toyota's WS specification?

Would you describe your driving style (on-road and off) as "conservative", "typical", or "aggressive"?

How heavy is your boat, roughly how many miles do you tow it annually, and is is towed over flat, somewhat hilly, or long, steep mountain grades?

Any additional info is greatly appreciated ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very useful info .... 30K kilometers = 18.6K miles, so there is a pretty frequent addition of fresh WS fluid with its "fresh" anti-shudder, anti-oxidant, and anti-corrosion additives.

Since you've managed to keep your original driveline running reliably for a longer period than some others have, I hope you don't mind a few additional questions:

Are you the original owner, and started performing the fluid changes at only 30K kilometers?

Do you have an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler installed?

By "Toyota WS fluid", you mean Toyota-branded WS ATF, and not just fluid meeting Toyota's WS specification?

Would you describe your driving style (on-road and off) as "conservative", "typical", or "aggressive"?

How heavy is your boat, roughly how many miles do you tow it annually, and is is towed over flat, somewhat hilly, or long, steep mountain grades?

Any additional info is greatly appreciated ...

Yes we have owned the truck from new and the first tranny oil drain and fill was at 31,000km. Engine and drivetrain are all original.
Our goal from day one was to keep this truck as long as possible so we started maintenance very early on and are generally pretty diligent about it.
There is an OEM tranny oil cooler installed but that's it, whatever it came with from Toyota is what is, and has always been, on it.

Toyota branded WS ATF oil only in the Tranny, sorry I should have been more specific in the original post.
I would say we're generally fairly conservative driving on the highway and pretty much the same off-road, with the occasional burst of harder use as terrain requires.
We have taken a few family members who also offroad a bit on some trails and they stated they'd never take their trucks where we take ours.
That been said, we're certainly not hard core by any means.
I used to off-road with a 91 toy pickup and a crew of harder core guys and I can honestly say this FJC hasn't really seen heavy off road abuse like we used to do, but it certainly hasn't been babied either.
Sorry, that's probably a pretty subjective sort of take on the life the truck has had LOL.

We have since sold the boat but spent three seasons towing a 22.5 foot cuddy cabin boat which contained a 454 engine.
While I never had the boat and trailer weighed, if it wasn't at the 5000lbs towing limit of the truck it had to be very close.
The terrain the boat was towed on was anywhere from generally flat, <50km trips to somewhat hilly ~500km trips.
Maybe a total of 2500kms per season total of all the trips?
Since then we often tow a small utility trailer for firewood and general use at our cabin up north, probably about 4000km per year and generally about 1000-1500lbs total load (so not much).
We also occasionally tow a 6x12 foot trailer for ATVs, sleds, etc......maybe 2-3000lbs loads, but only a few times a year.

Hope that all helps......

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Thanks for the detailed history ... I think that's a great testimonial for the benefits of meticulous preventive maintenance.

I follow a similar regimen with my '00 4Runner and my '14 FJC, with the first engine oil and rear diff lube change at ~2500 miles. I hope to keep both running sweetly for well over 300K miles.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
Yes we have owned the truck from new and the first tranny oil drain and fill was at 31,000km. Engine and drivetrain are all original.
Our goal from day one was to keep this truck as long as possible so we started maintenance very early on and are generally pretty diligent about it.
There is an OEM tranny oil cooler installed but that's it, whatever it came with from Toyota is what is, and has always been, on it.

Toyota branded WS ATF oil only in the Tranny, sorry I should have been more specific in the original post.
I would say we're generally fairly conservative driving on the highway and pretty much the same off-road, with the occasional burst of harder use as terrain requires.
We have taken a few family members who also offroad a bit on some trails and they stated they'd never take their trucks where we take ours.
That been said, we're certainly not hard core by any means.
I used to off-road with a 91 toy pickup and a crew of harder core guys and I can honestly say this FJC hasn't really seen heavy off road abuse like we used to do, but it certainly hasn't been babied either.
Sorry, that's probably a pretty subjective sort of take on the life the truck has had LOL.

We have since sold the boat but spent three seasons towing a 22.5 foot cuddy cabin boat which contained a 454 engine.
While I never had the boat and trailer weighed, if it wasn't at the 5000lbs towing limit of the truck it had to be very close.
The terrain the boat was towed on was anywhere from generally flat, <50km trips to somewhat hilly ~500km trips.
Maybe a total of 2500kms per season total of all the trips?
Since then we often tow a small utility trailer for firewood and general use at our cabin up north, probably about 4000km per year and generally about 1000-1500lbs total load (so not much).
We also occasionally tow a 6x12 foot trailer for ATVs, sleds, etc......maybe 2-3000lbs loads, but only a few times a year.

Hope that all helps......
Very helpful info, I have similar driving tendencies and tow similar weight but over much shorter distances so this is all good to know.

801 - 820 of 852 Posts