Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

821 - 840 of 852 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a transmission cooler installed at 8000 miles and I change my transmission oil every 20,000 miles. I do lots of slow steep hills and since I live in a tropical area, average temps are around 34. Also the hill climbs are behind slow moving vehicles so not much airflow, I also face lots of stop and go traffic and my OBD reader would show temps of 90 plus in traffic and hills and therefore got myself the cooler. Its so heartening to see the transmission last this long with the OEM radiator based transmission cooler and regular oil drain and fill so I hope my transmission would be trouble free as well. In hills I drive with the OD off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
About to hit 210,000 Miles on my 08 FJ 4x4 AT. It's awesome to hear how many have over 300k and still run like tops! I've replaced a front wheel bearing (sounds like I'll need to do that again here soon) and the alternator. The wheel bearings were bound to happen after some serious flooding issues in Central Texas and the alternator took me a whole 45 minutes to swap out. I absolutely love my FJ and plan to keep on driving it. I've owned it since it had 113k and average about 30k a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is high mileage and I haven't had any trouble .. just [try really hard] to keep up with all the normal maintence stuff. I want to say I'm at 175k miles'ish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have over 260,000 miles on my 2008 FJ MT. Still runs like it's new. I have taken good care of it. Religiously change the oil every 5000 miles and have always used Mobil 1. Redline in the Trans, Mobile 1 syn in the transfer and dif's every 30K. Also, never a hint of engine bay rip. I replaced the Clutch at around 197K just because. It all looked like it only had about 20K maybe.

·
Registered
465 Posts
328,000 and going strong - posted ODO pic in that mileage topic last week. And yes - mine is an AT and the only thing I am going to do with the drivetrain is re-gear this winter to 4:56.

Reliability, thy name is YOTA....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
328,000 and going strong - posted ODO pic in that mileage topic last week. And yes - mine is an AT and the only thing I am going to do with the drivetrain is re-gear this winter to 4:56.

Reliability, thy name is YOTA....
Does yours have aftermarket trans cooler, or just the factory setup?

·
Registered
465 Posts
100% factory. I got a leak in it after a branch poked it in 2011 0 replaced that and radiator. But all TOYO parts and stock...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
100% factory. I got a leak in it after a branch poked it in 2011 0 replaced that and radiator. But all TOYO parts and stock...
SandFJ90210 asked: "Does yours have aftermarket trans cooler, or just the factory setup?"

You responded: "100% factory. I got a leak in it after a branch poked it ...".

Not clear ... do you have an aftermarket transmission cooler that "got poked"? If not, what is the "it" that got poked and had to be replaced? Or have you installed an OEM Toyota trans cooler originally used on the Australian or Middle Eastern models? Or did you mean the AC condenser got poked?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've got just shy of 149,000m (about a tankful away) on my 08 2wd AT. Bought it used in '15 with about 85,000 on it. Belt is starting to squeal a bit so that will be being taken care of while it's in getting oil change, radiator flushed, and tranny and dif fluid changed.

·
Registered
465 Posts
SandFJ90210 asked: "Does yours have aftermarket trans cooler, or just the factory setup?"

You responded: "100% factory. I got a leak in it after a branch poked it ...".

Not clear ... do you have an aftermarket transmission cooler that "got poked"? If not, what is the "it" that got poked and had to be replaced? Or have you installed an OEM Toyota trans cooler originally used on the Australian or Middle Eastern models? Or did you mean the AC condenser got poked?
Sorry. Got the trans cooler out of Dubai back then - the replacement came from Abu Dhabi. Oz was asking too much for the part. I poked trans cooler, radiator and condenser hitting oak tree stump, roots hidden underwater in a creek. I was rocking her trying to get out of a rut, and she got away from me when the traction bit. Also had to get grillwork, etc. Thank goodness for totaled mall crawlers....

Sorry this reply was late, but I have had a LOT of work since November and have hardly been on the forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, we got this FJ cruiser when my brother-in-law passed away and it is the absolute most amazing vehicle. We love it! We take it everywhere. Super long trips throughout the year. Never left us stranded. It's a 2007 and we've had it 8 years or so. We have over 320,000 miles on it! The only real problem during that time that we've had is the four-wheel drive. Had to have it worked on once around 200,000. We've definitely had our share of cracked windshields since we do a lot of travel, but since we live in Kentucky it's completely paid for by our insurance. Since we're getting up there in miles we've been wondering what our next vehicle is going to be...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, just bought a one owner 2007 voodoo blue 6 speed sight unseen from a highly reputable dealer who specializes in FJ Cruisers with 240,000 miles thanks to threads like this. Clutch was replaced at 210,000 and body is very clean. Full maintenance records through the local dealership. Seems with religious routine maintenance FJ's will go just about forever.

821 - 840 of 852 Posts