Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
anyone have any first hand info on the Lolo Motorway. Follows Nat. Forest Road #500 across the Lewis and Clark trail.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are you planning a visit this year? If so, when? This is still on my to-do list.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you planning a visit this year? If so, when? This is still on my to-do list.
Would like to go this year but doesnt look like i can get the time needed off from work. My understanding is there is a window from july-aug when the road is passable. Too soon to those dates for me to ask for a couple of weeks off. I will still try but the probable date will be summer of 2009.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Would guess this year (heavy, heavy winter and never-ending spring) may not be snow free until the 2nd week of July. I would also guess that the roads will be "open" through the end of October, or until the first real winter storm hits hard (sometimes mid-end of Sept). Hunters will be everywhere once October hits... so best to be done before the end of September. :)

When we have spring like this year, I really, really miss Tucson!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would guess this year (heavy, heavy winter and never-ending spring) may not be snow free until the 2nd week of July. I would also guess that the roads will be "open" through the end of October, or until the first real winter storm hits hard (sometimes mid-end of Sept). Hunters will be everywhere once October hits... so best to be done before the end of September. :)

When we have spring like this year, I really, really miss Tucson!
Is it a toss up as to weather conditions between july and august.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Typical conditions in July/Agust will be hot and dry - we don't get the monsoonal moisture you guys get in Aug/Sept. Always a chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoons, but usually short lived. August can be very nice as the worst of the bugs are usually gone by the end of July even up high.

Late June/early July is bound to be the greenest time and likely to find a few seasonal waterfalls.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it necessary to apply for a permit to use the motorway #500 or to check in first before entering. The online source suggests using parachute Road Hill Road #569 off of US Highway 12 before the turnoff to powell Ranger Station.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't know the answer to that - there are no permits I am aware of unless you are going to cut a cord of firewood, but that can change at anytime. Few years back you had to pay to park at the trailheads in many areas - that was finally defeated, but you never know anymore.

Best source is to contact the FS ranger district in charge of the area you are interested in. Start at headquarters for that forest, and they can re-direct you to the appropriate office and/or individual who knows current status of roads, snow levels, wash-outs, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts