Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to avoid some debris on the highway last night, I inadvertently punctured both of my left side tires. Despite looking OK before bed, I woke up on the first work day of the New Year to 2 flats and had to get the FJ flatbedded to the dealership. They determined that the punctures were clean through the tread and were OK to be patched from the inside, especially since the tires only have 5K miles on them.

My question is, has anyone had any issues with tires after they have been patched? Patching was only $21 per tire vs. $275 for a new one from the dealership.

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
I have had tires patched in the past and have never had a problem.

Make sure it is a patch and not a plug.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I used to work in a tire shop years ago.. if done correctly they will last the life of the tire!!
I Current have a patched tire on my FJ, 35" Nitto Mud grapplers are 350 each! So when I had a tire go flat after "something" as the wife said punchured it.... its been holding strong for roughly 5000 miles..

I wouldnt sweat it..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Had many tires patched over many years with no issues. I probably would have taken it to a good tire shop to have them fixed instead of a Toyota dealership but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
What's wrong with a plug?
Plugs in the tread can last a long long time; plugs in the sidewall (the sidewall flexes a lot in radial tire) can work loose. In either case, a plug is an emergency trail or side-of-the-road fix, not intended as a permanent repair.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses here, it makes me feel a lot better to know the experts say it's OK! ;)

Also, it's a patch, not a plug. The reason why I went with the dealership is because I just feel more comfortable knowing that they deal with these vehicles every day.

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
Plugs in the tread can last a long long time; plugs in the sidewall (the sidewall flexes a lot in radial tire) can work loose. In either case, a plug is an emergency trail or side-of-the-road fix, not intended as a permanent repair.

95% of punctures in the rubber do not remove any rubber when they pass through. All they do is seperate(split) the rubber which allows the air to pss through.

With a plug you are adding material to the puncture - even when you ream the "hole" to clean it you are not removing the same amount as to what you are adding. This addition can lead to the puncture opening further.

With a patch, you clean around the puncture and glue a patch over top to prevent the air from escaping.

To properly plug a tire the plug needs to be done from the inside of the tire and the plug will have a mushroomed head on it - its kind of like a patch & plug as one.

Plugs repairs done from the outside have no head on and should used in emergancy situations only.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I ran a plug for over 4 years. Even ont he autobahn never had an issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts