Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone !

I'm seriously considering trading off my 2007 2500HD Duramax/Allison Silverdao 4x4 Ext cab LTZ for a new 2011 Iceberg FJ with Convenience pkg. and upgrade pkg......not sure if this would be a good decision or not....went thru a divorce couple years ago...only owed 14,000 on Chevy last month, but had to roll the amount of 11,000 into that to pay off my daughters car, so I'm up to 25,000 again now as of date. It's a beautiful truck, but I'm thinking I could trade and be into an FJ for the same amount I owe right now, and be 4 years newer.....I'm hesitant,....to replace the truck would be 55,000 !

However I just might as the price for diesel keeps going up......are there any issues or has anyone heard of problems, quirks, or anything I should be concerned with with the new 2011 FJ ? Have they found the solution to the fender bulges, rips, and cracks ? Would I have any regrets ? I know the FJ is an awesome rig, and I would love to build one up....and thinking I should do that instead of dumping more into the Chevy that I still owe 25,000 on. I think I would get 32,000 for trade, an would get the FJ for 31,000.

Thankyou for your time and input !

RHoppe

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
The FJ is a big change from the Silverado. I had a Yukon before the FJ and the FJ is not nearly as useful. The cargo space is about half of what the Yukon was and probably less than that of your Silverado. However I see that you also have a 2002 Ram, so just do the Home Depot runs in that.
I have not heard of them doing anything different to the 2011 than the 2010's to strengthen the chassis. But the 2010's started a newer chassis design that was supposed to be stronger and address the fender issue. However, we have seen at least one person with a 2010 with cracking fenders, not really budging but defiantly cracked. He was running an aftermarket bumper and wheel'd it.
The 2011's have only been on the ground for a few weeks so I would guess the reviews will be limited. I can tell you from driving my 2010 a little over a year now, there are some "quirky" things about it, but nothing that people haven't mentioned here a 1000 times. Just items like, the truck revs up a bit when I push in the clutch, visibility takes a bit to get used to, etc.
The FJ will hold its value better than your 2500, and in four years I would definitely would rather have a 4 year old FJ vs. a 7-8 yr old Silverado.
I say go for it! I (like most folks here) love my FJ. Whenever I get in it I feel like I'm going on an adventure, even if I’m just driving to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It probably matters what you want it for. For just an everyday on the road car...Idk it's good but not amazing. I haven't gotten my 2011 yet, but I've been doing research and test drives. The fjc is pretty much the only new car (besides a jeep :worried:) that you can upgrade to do some pretty good off roading and still have the comforts and handling of a modern day car. I have an fj40 and man does that thing suck on the road! You look drunk even when your sober.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The biggest challenge so far has been availability.

The first 2011 FJs first started appearing on dealer lots two weeks ago and the delay has caused most of them to be sold instantly as people were waiting for the '11s to show up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would also like to know about any continuing issues on 2010s and possibly expected on 2011s since I'm considering one. No vehicle is perfect, but I'd like to know about issues that might continue. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sold my 2007 Silverado Classic Duramax/Allison a couple of months ago and bought a 2011 FJ with the Convenience Pkg, Off Road Pkg and TRD Wheel/BFG Tire Pkg. Missed the POWER and TORQUE at first but after break in, the FJ gets about 17 mpg around town and just over 20 mpg on the hwy if I keep my foot out of it. Forgot to mention lower fuel cost per gallon. The FJ drives great, takes up less room in the garage and is easier to park. Unless you have to tow a heavy trailer I think you will be pleased with your choice. I miss my Silverado D/A less each day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts