Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking of doing this for a while i just got my windows murdered out and now I want to black out all the silver. MACCO quoted me for 819 for paint matched handles, grille, and mirrors and flat black on the bumpers. Im not willing to pay that so I think I'll do it myself and was wondering if anyone up here has done it yet. maybe you could give a newb some pointers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I've been thinking of doing this for a while i just got my windows murdered out and now I want to black out all the silver. MACCO quoted me for 819 for paint matched handles, grille, and mirrors and flat black on the bumpers. Im not willing to pay that so I think I'll do it myself and was wondering if anyone up here has done it yet. maybe you could give a newb some pointers.
Yes, I have done that. Painted mirrors, grille bezel and bumpers and replaced the door handles with Tundra handles. Rustoleum rattle cans. Easy to do. My total cost here was less that $100. You could just paint the door handles instead of replacing them. Two friends of mine did this, and paint seems to hold up well. In that case you will have the whole thing done for about $20.

There is plenty of info regarding this on the forum - just search around a little. You will see how to take the door handles off, what paint to use, etc.

Bjorn

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I beleave FJsteed has done that. I am just replaceing my bumbers with ARB ones

Not yet but I have been thinking about it. So far just blacked the stock rims out with Aluminum Wheel Paint from Autozone.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have mine blacked out, I got it from the dealership, ordered the TT black outs, while it is more expencive, you do save on repairs from the trail..

I have seen them painted and after a while the black wears off from brush and rocks, you just have to paint them again..

Having the TT's on it you get black through out and even if you scratch it against a rock or a tree you still have black. in the long run it will be less of a hassell..

But you are going to spend closer to 900 for all the parts you need.

So, it just depends on how often you want to tear them all apart and paint them vr's not worring about them for a very long time...

Just my .02

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Your rig is looking great Perry!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So boys I'm gonna do the black out this weekend but Im gonna go old school on the bezel and paint it bright white. I think I'll be the first black diamond to do so. I might get around to painting the wheels this week also wish me luck

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks Cassidy. By the way a friend of mine painted his 100-series land cruiser wheels recently, from your write-up awhile back. Changed the look completely.

Thairon, I did white on my bezel and to me it was way too white compared to the off-white of the roof. It looked good, but the difference was really noticeable. Post pics with what you do. By the way the Rustoleum textured is the way to go with black for any of your plastic parts. I originally did flat and redid them with the textured and couldn't be happier. Prep is key or you will be redoing all of your pieces. Make sure you sand and primer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got everything painted and so far it looks really good. Noworries i followed your advice and went with the textured black on the bumpers, door handles, and mirrors. I used Krylon Fusion Dover white on the bezel and TOYOTA emblam on the grill. I will be putting it all back on tomorrow then I'll post some pics. For anyone who wants to paint the bezel white Dover whith is an almost perfect match. My wife did a great job of masking of everything including the grille can't wait to be the first Black Diamond rocking the white bezel.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
That does look good.......still working up the courage to do mine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Got the rear bumper off and the wings painted. Painted the bezel also. Should have it back together tomorrow(Plan to let the paint cure to avoid the fingerprints I usually rush into). Plan on doing the mirrors and handles as well. Will post pics. I found the bumper to be easy to remove and that meant no masking well worth the trouble. The bezel was even easier the grill put up the most fight but eventually relented.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive been doing mine as well and used Duplicolor truck bed body liner spray paint to do the front wings of my fj. They look real good and have a nice textured look. I plan on doing the rest of the truck the same way and painting the grill white to match the roof.

Im gonna try to paint the wheels with duplicolors graphite wheel paint and see how I like that....probly do it this winter.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought a can of the duplicolor graphite to paint my factory skid plate. I thought the color looked great with the Black Cherry. I had planned on painting the wheels Graphite but bought wheels instead. I would love to see wheels painted that color. I still have my factory wheels and tires and may use them again(fuel miliage).

By the way painting the factory skid wasn't a great idea it almost instantly started to rock chip and the light color showing through looked bad.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Finished "Blacking out" the FJ. Have to say I'm pleased with the out come. The Rustoleum textured paint for plastics was very forgiving. I disassembled all the pieces before painting, used a de-greaser and roughed up the finish with 00 steel wool. Primed 2 coats,Paint 2-3 coats.
The Bezel

Bumper Wings

1 - 18 of 18 Posts