Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched various forums and have read a lot about bent tie rods and such, but has anyone blown out a steering rack? I ask because I blew mine going down a dirt road a car could have handled. I am assuming the pump will also be shot after being run dry. I am still under warranty by about 3000 miles. I'm just hoping this was a total fluke.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your PS pump whine or seize? mine hasn't seized and is still quiet, but it did run dry for a while. I'm thinking it won't like that too much.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Mine seized up. Didnt lose much fluid. Barely seeped through the seals. Made a mind mess on the inside of the fenderwell and chassis. Topped it off before I started my 268 miles drive home without ps. Still debt leak much on the way home. Now that I think about it, it did moan and groan when turning with the bad pump. Still don't know what happened internally. Been driving another year and a half on it. With another few gnarly pismo and back country adventures without any issues on the new pump.

I was at 45k when I lost mine. Aftermarket warranty paid for itself. On that issue alone.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to drive about 240 home yesterday. I didn't even bother putting anything in as it went right out the seal in the rack as fast as it could. I think I'm going to ask for a new PS pump as well.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Yes. But not like yours. My steering was sloppy with excessive play last fall and I took it in for service at my local Toyota dealership. The tech brought me into the shop and shook the wheel with his hands showing me a good half inch, minimum, of play. I asked if it was the inner or outer tie rods, to which he replied no they were good to go. He explained to me that it was the actual rack. I was a bit surprised.

Then he said that he could talk to his manager about warranty coverage for this, but told me not to get my hopes up because it was obvious that I drove the truck off road a bit. I told him that if the service manager has a problem with covering it that he needs to come out and talk with me about it.

Sure enough a few minutes later the manager came out to deliver the bad news. "Sir, I sorry to say that we won't be able to cover this under your factory warranty because the vehicle has been used offroad", he said eyeing my truck on the lift.

"Nonsense," I replied. "The steering rack failure was NOT caused by any modification made to the truck. The outer tie rod and it's ball joints are designed to be the weak link in the steering system and should have sacrificed themselves to save the steering rack if forces too great for the rack design are exerted from the wheels. This clearly did not happen. I'll also tell you that this is my second FJCruiser and the first one had nearly four times the mileage with the exact same mods and driving practices, but with no steering rack issues whatsoever."

To this he said he'd have to make a phone call and for me to hang tight for a few minutes. Meanwhile the tech guy and I walked around the truck and talked about the mods done and the nifty stickers...

"Sir, good news." He said as he came back. "We can take care of this for you. We need to order some parts, but that will just take a couple of days. Can I get your number so we can call..." blah, blah, blah.

It was fixed by the next weekend. Once again, Toyota came through for me. All I had to do was show them I wasn't going away quietly. That, and they can easily look up my service history with them and see that I have had no trouble in the past admitting to them when a part failure was obviously due to its treatment.

Sometimes you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input :cheers: The weird thing is my steering was fine, good and tight, no slop then BAM the seal has a major failure. I am hoping I don't get too much grief from the dealer. My truck is obviously modded and used off road, but it isn't beat. Their was no impact and nothing is bent or broken so hopefully they will get me taken care of.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
I've had to replace mine.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Like Apex said most tierods break or the center link between inner and outer tierods bend Long before the rack junks itself if you hit something. Im guessing yours was a fluke. I have replaced alot of racks and most are from stupid high milage or failed for un known flaws. Yours blowing out its seals sounds like a chalk it up to part made on friday.

LOL I cant wait for the day for warranty work!! 3 reasons...
1) The dealer Installed the big a$$ tires and lift, before I even looked at it nand its noted as covered under warranty in my paper work :lol:
2) My father was a Service manger over 25yrs and a general manager, for another 15, for FORD, Nissan, Saab, and BMW dealer ships, and I grew up in Dealerships, worked as a drive line Mechanic for ford and know all the little ways warranty managers or service mangers wiggle out of warranty work... 3) My wife has been a Service advisor for a GM/Toyota/Lexus and FORD dealers for the last 15.
When I break it doing something or its directly from a mod, I dont bother asking,I just pay when its true warranty.. game on if they refuse.:rocker:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a closer inspection I think I have found out what has happened. It looks as if the cylinder end stopper has un-threaded itself from the housing. I haven't taken anything apart (nor will I) but I can actually wiggle the part. This would explain the sudden seal failure. I think this rack was made on Friday :lol: And it is fluke. I feel better about having the conversation with the dealer now. I'll post any up dates. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i took all of my skids off tonight to get it prepped for the dealer. Just as I thought, the end of the rack has simply un threaded. What are the odds of that? :lol:

IMG_0233 by cnckart, on Flickr

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I still have some play on the wheel even after replacing inner and outters. I've wondered about the rack, but I think I'm still in denial. :p

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:lol: that's how I was about the throw out bearing. They are fixing that for me as well! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have read on a few occasions about blown racks. There are FJs out there older than 4 years and others with over 100K on them. Many of them have some hard miles off road on large tires. Perhaps we are finding out that 4+ and or a specific amount of miles is where the rack should be considered something to upgrade.

I am sure there are better racks out there that can be made to fit. Hydro assist and upgraded boxes are common on straight axle setups, it seems that steering assist in the form of a better rack on an FJ is a good idea.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have searched various forums and have read a lot about bent tie rods and such, but has anyone blown out a steering rack? I ask because I blew mine going down a dirt road a car could have handled. I am assuming the pump will also be shot after being run dry. I am still under warranty by about 3000 miles. I'm just hoping this was a total fluke.:cheers:
I blew mine out at 35,000 miles while parked. I wasn't there when it was hit, but the damages were the rack & pinion, and ALL front suspension parts, which were aftermarket and stronger parts.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Just got a call that they aren't covering the rack. Looks like I'm going to have a fight on my hands.
That is just insane! That dang thing didn't get unscrewed by your lift. It came unscrewed due to a lack of thread sealant! Time to go on the offensive; get another shop to look at it, call the regional service rep, send an attorney's letter, drop an email off at the local news station, etc.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts