Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used McMaster # 93475A315 (34mm OD, M18 screw size) for the large bolts, 0.112" thick McMaster-Carr I would have preferred a larger diameter, but could not find any such beast...

and McMaster # 91860A034 (9/16 screw size, 1.5 OD high strength) for the smaller bolts, 0.089" thick McMaster-Carr

Since these are fairly thick washers, insetting them into the bushing seemed to work well...now my only concern is the smooth washer surface might allow the alignment to get knocked out easier. I was thinking about using a metal punch to put a ring of "pock marks" around each washer to they have a little bit of grip...

thanks
Shawn
You and I think alike :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
These look awesome, but I feel like I would rather save a little longer and just going for their LT setup.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
tsy87, that was kind of my thinking as well. However in the end I decided to go with their Race Series LCAs, Camburg UCAs, and ICON extended travel COs. I'm just not sure the gains you get with the +2" kit are worth the headache. Plus remember the TC kit doesn't includes axle shafts, and then you have to install them on your CVs. Also need new COs, or the spacer that All Pro makes. Plus I know you've already removed your front swaybar, which gives you the independent wheel movement you always see in the LT pictures.

The gains from a +3.5" kit would be great, but that's even more of a headache from everything I've read.

Just some food for thought. For me having the best stock-width system out there (IMHO) with minimal headache is more advantageous than the +2" setup.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
TC has redsigned the bushing design. This combined with the their weld-on tabs, has made me somewhat bullet proof. :)
Thanks, glad to know they fixed them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
tsy87, that was kind of my thinking as well. However in the end I decided to go with their Race Series LCAs, Camburg UCAs, and ICON extended travel COs. I'm just not sure the gains you get with the +2" kit are worth the headache. Plus remember the TC kit doesn't includes axle shafts, and then you have to install them on your CVs. Also need new COs, or the spacer that All Pro makes. Plus I know you've already removed your front swaybar, which gives you the independent wheel movement you always see in the LT pictures.

The gains from a +3.5" kit would be great, but that's even more of a headache from everything I've read.

Just some food for thought. For me having the best stock-width system out there (IMHO) with minimal headache is more advantageous than the +2" setup.
Very good and valid points. In all honesty, the LCA has yet to be something that really shows up on my radar list of mods. I like how it looks in terms of bling factor, but I really can't justify it otherwise... which is why I kinda tossed it up to saying I would rather just get a LT kit up front since that is also something that is really beyond what I plan to do... but who knows.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Very good and valid points. In all honesty, the LCA has yet to be something that really shows up on my radar list of mods. I like how it looks in terms of bling factor, but I really can't justify it otherwise... which is why I kinda tossed it up to saying I would rather just get a LT kit up front since that is also something that is really beyond what I plan to do... but who knows.
Yeah I never planned to upgrade them either, but I knew I needed to replace the bushing and ball joints in my LCAs. Didn't want to go through the legwork of changing them out of my current arms, so I bought some third-party OE replacement arms that didn't fit (sent me 2 of the same side, and poor quality control). So I sent those back and was just going to order OEM from Toyota, but those are about $800 for a pair IIRC. So I said what the heck, I'll get the TC arms...pay once cry once right? :mecry::lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah I never planned to upgrade them either, but I knew I needed to replace the bushing and ball joints in my LCAs. Didn't want to go through the legwork of changing them out of my current arms, so I bought some third-party OE replacement arms that didn't fit (sent me 2 of the same side, and poor quality control). So I sent those back and was just going to order OEM from Toyota, but those are about $800 for a pair IIRC. So I said what the heck, I'll get the TC arms...pay once cry once right? :mecry::lol:

I'm thinking of buying these. Do you have any pics installed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
There's a few in my build thread (link in signature). Here are a couple of pics from the install last year. Note you'll have to run 1.25" wheel spacers to clear the secondary shock mount with the Race Series arms, which are the ones I have and would recommend. I also don't have the bump stop drop spacers installed in these pictures. They're included with the arms and ensure you don't over-compress your front suspension.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's a few in my build thread (link in signature). Here are a couple of pics from the install last year. Note you'll have to run 1.25" wheel spacers to clear the secondary shock mount with the Race Series arms, which are the ones I have and would recommend. I also don't have the bump stop drop spacers installed in these pictures. They're included with the arms and ensure you don't over-compress your front suspension.

Thanks a lot for the pics! I'm already running wheel spacers so I could easily go with the race series. Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the race series version over the other?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Thanks a lot for the pics! I'm already running wheel spacers so I could easily go with the race series. Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the race series version over the other?

Significantly lighter than the standard arms, but the main advantage is the uniball mounting. On their original arms there's a separate uniball cup you install on top of the end of the arm, so the arms ends up sitting about 1" lower at the wheel, but with the race series the uniball is mounted directly in the arm, so you have the same (or a bit better in some places) clearance as stock. Plus the Race series include the secondary shock mount, where as it's a bolt-on attachment for the original arms.

You can see the difference in uniball mounting in this picture versus mine.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts