Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
here was mine before i had the rack on and now with

it looked cool with it, and it looked cool with out it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool thanks. I am having trouble deciding which I like best.. I have no use for the rack, and wondering if it impacts gas mileage (the gas mileage thread isnt that useful)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It only effects the gas mileage by 1 or 2 miles. Better off getting an aftermarket roof rack rather than the factory one, b/c honestly the factory one is a POS, so better off getting something like an ARB if you are getting a roof rack at all.:D:cool:

·
Registered
929 Posts
My suggestion is just to get it. You will either miss it if you don't have it... or you won't care once it's on. You really don't save any appreciable $$ by deleting it at purchase (won't lower your monthy pmnt much). I added my rack after I ordered my truck, it is a port installed option so it wasn't a big deal. I am glad I got it, I like the look and it holds my Hi Lift up and out of the way. If you get it and hate it, you will have no problem unloading it on E Bay of Craigslist. The only "good" reason not to get the rack from the start is if it won't fit in your garage or the parking garage at work.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
If you aren't going to use the roof rack you're probably better off without it. Less wind noise and probably a little better mileage. I never use mine either but i installed some cool lights up there

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I bought my TT SE without a roof rack.

For 8 years before my FJ, I drove a 4Runner with a roof rack. I used that roof rack once.

But then I also own a pickup that I use if I need to haul something that will not fit inside a SUV.

On the plus side for buying a TT SE with the roof rack: The rack is very distinctive and it makes it very easy to spot another FJ. My experience has been that no other vehicle looks like an FJ with the rack. I can spot an FJ with a roof rack a half mile away!

Without a roof rack, the TT SE almost seems to blend in with the crowd of all of the other white SUV's driving around.

But if you want to be incognito...going without a rack might be the way to go. Nevertheless, once you stop...the FJ will still draw alot of attention even without a roof rack.

Since I don't have a roof rack, I do not know if I am seeing improved gas mileage since I have nothing to make a direct comparison. I only have 2745 miles on my TT SE without a roof rack. My average gas mileage so far is 19.15MPG. My daily commute is 16 miles (10 of which is highway miles).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I like my roof rack, i didnt really notice a difference in my gas milage from going rackless to with.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very cool thanks. I am having trouble deciding which I like best.. I have no use for the rack, and wondering if it impacts gas mileage (the gas mileage thread isnt that useful)
My wife thinks it will look better if I add one. I never used the rack on the Avalanche or her Lexus RX350.

The only "good" reason not to get the rack from the start is if it won't fit in your garage or the parking garage at work.
I bought mine without for this reason. Lift kit and taller tires are priority 1. I know it will fit in my garage with a rack, but if I can't get in my favorite parking garage when I go club'n, I wont get one.:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts