Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the OEM roof rack on my 2010 FJ, any problems using the automated car washes found by anyone else using these car washes that have the OEM roof racks?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have the OEM roof rack on my 2010 FJ, any problems using the automated car washes found by anyone else using these car washes that have the OEM roof racks?
IMO, hand washing, and detailing at home is the best option. Having said that, I don't think you would have any issues with the OEM roofrack in an auto-wash, if that is what you would choose.

:cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went through one with the spinning arms and it had ripped my radio antenna out. Thank god it did not beat the antenna down the side of my FJ. It broke off inside the post and I had to replace the whole unit not just the antenna. It is easy to just unscrew before you go through the car wash, if only I would have known?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went through one with the spinning arms and it had ripped my radio antenna out. Thank god it did not beat the antenna down the side of my FJ. It broke off inside the post and I had to replace the whole unit not just the antenna. It is easy to just unscrew before you go through the car wash, if only I would have known?
bet that was a forehead slap moment. Hahaha I hate when that happens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes it was and the worst part is we were in the process of going to Ouray. We had to drive from Oklahoma to Colorado and back without a radio.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
most car washes haave little signs right before you pull up that warn you about antenna's and bug shields, ect....
Yes it was and the worst part is we were in the process of going to Ouray. We had to drive from Oklahoma to Colorado and back without a radio.
You could have sang your favorite songs....:wave:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I go through the "touchless" one at Sheetz, it does a pretty good job for $5. Then when I get home I go over it with Mquires detailer for the water spots as long as there's no dirt/mud left on it. If I've been out in the woods & have heavy mud I'll hit the pressure washer first to blow off all the heavy crap. I did try a "semi-touchless" one time & when I pulled out of the bay the KC's on top were rotated down. The damn brush must have hit them & spun the light bar down. No damage, I just spun the bar back up & then tightened it up when I got home. Don't think I'll go through that one again, good thing the bar clamps were not super tight.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I have never had a problem. I have discovered that there are small plastic caps that cover predrilled holes on the rack and one of mine went missing. I do not know what caused that but do watch for it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
they were iffy about mine because of the light bar, but it cleared by about .25 of an inch. Enough to get it done.

When I took my father in laws corvette to get it done, they wouldnt run it through because of the rear tires being so large or wide. First and only time ive ever been told that they couldnt do it.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My HOA asked me not to power wash mud off my FJ in my driveway because it can clog the drain in the rain relief pond or some crap like that. I run my FJ through a soft cloth wash every week and have 285 tires, a 3" lift and roof rack. Your fine. I leave my antenna on to but grit my teeth when the twirlly thing gets near it.

Off to the spray wash tonight to remove some mud. They will be pissed in the AM:)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
My girlfriend has never broken anything at all when she washes my FJ. She is REALLY careful. :rofl: :rocker:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I have a problem, they suck. Doesn't do that great of a job and it's $9.
Here on Maui, only one wash it yourself and they are always out of soap. They have several touchless washes so I am forced to use them, but I wanted to make sure they would not mess up the roof rack.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
My HOA asked me not to power wash mud off my FJ in my driveway because it can clog the drain in the rain relief pond or some crap like that. I run my FJ through a soft cloth wash every week and have 285 tires, a 3" lift and roof rack. Your fine. I leave my antenna on to but grit my teeth when the twirlly thing gets near it.

Off to the spray wash tonight to remove some mud. They will be pissed in the AM:)

Sounds Like you been dealing with the same B.S as me...I got the nasty letter from my HOA stating that they will not allow me to no longer wash excessive mud off my truck inside our complex due to the enviormental impact and clogging of storm drains!!! Every car wash in my area uses survielance cameras and have clearly marked signs forbiden of mud ladden trucks. It's become a real hassle to clean up after wheeling! :mecry:
Now I wish I never sold my house!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts