Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crap load of sap all over Fa~jay~jay's passenger side..and am worried of using a harsh product and rub the paint off... any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'd try the clay bar first. If that doesn't work there are other commercial solutions. Fortunately I've been able to get rid of them without have to to buff or use those other products.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that goof off.. or what ever it's called.. but I don't know if it is to harsh for the paint.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I was thinking that goof off.. or what ever it's called.. but I don't know if it is to harsh for the paint.
You can test out products in door jams. I've not used that so I can't comment. I usually test stuff out on door jams or the back side of rear door lips

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Goof off is hard on the paint and will melt any plastic it touches.

Claybar, some elbow grease and a whole lot of patience will get rid of the sap.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Athena, you might look into some of the Bug/Tar remover gels out there. Turtle wax makes one, it's safe for paint, and it's a spray gel that clings so it can sit there for a little while and soften up the sap so that it's easy to wash off. We have used it for massive amounts of bug guts and tar, and it does wonders. :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. It will take it right off. Use a good amount but not enough so it drips all over. Wash and wax IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys... looks like its going to rain... not such a good waxin time... but tomorrow I'll see what I can get off of it..

·
Registered
838 Posts
X3 even cleans road tar

·
Registered
467 Posts
If all else fails brake cleaner on a cotton cloth should do the trick. You will need to wash the area and wax it immediately after. I agree with the earlier posts to try the clay bar first, then WD40 (also needs to be waxed ASAP) if that does not work!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sweet...thanks guys.. I'm going to work on it today and let you know what the outcome is

·
Registered
499 Posts
dishwasher soap then claybar.. followed by a coat of wax.
I would go this route too! But let me clarify....use dawn or joy dish soap not dishwasher soap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts