Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks. One last question before I get out of your hair.

Will you guy's be able to publish what trail runs will be part of the organized runs?

I have some in mind that I may run on Thursday if they won't be part of the organized summit runs.

Thanks!

yeah we're going to hand those out at registration, and most likely will have them at least a few weeks in advance, so look for them on here :)

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks. A couple last questions before I get out of your hair.

Will you guy's be able to publish what trail runs will be part of the organized runs? Also on Thursday the itinerary says trail assignments will be handed out. I assume that the available organized runs will be broken into different skill levels and we will be able to choose which trails we want to sign up for, or will we be told what trails we will be running and when based on our desired skill level?

I have some in mind that I may run on Thursday if they won't be part of the organized summit runs.

Thanks!
I think we're going to run w/ the assigning, but that's not confirmed. We want to be sure everyone is in their appropriate group, as no one should be trying to do anything they don't feel capable of on this trip! :)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Another note regarding Thursday, all of the trails are public access. Many plan to run free runs ( not Trail Teams Guided) on Thursday. We'll have a get together location for these. Register, prerun some trails, be back for the evening meet ups.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I have posted a notice on Trip Advisor of The Summit. This will help let vacation planner know that week will be crowded in Ouray.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I looked at the posted initial itinerary and my schedule is not going to allow me to be there until early Friday morning (work and all)... Is that going to be a problem as we will miss the mandatory meeting on Thursday...

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I looked at the posted initial itinerary and my schedule is not going to allow me to be there until early Friday morning (work and all)... Is that going to be a problem as we will miss the mandatory meeting on Thursday...
we'll make sure you get the run-down as well. You'll have to find me to sign all of your waivers before heading out, being part of the events, etc. I'll make sure to post my phone number for people in this situation (better up my plan)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks - we'll look you up when we get it. Our plan is to arrive early enough so it won't be 'last minute' We only have a four hour drive.

paul

·
Registered
347 Posts
Boston, is the Thursday 4-6pm meeting mandatory for everyone, or just trail leaders ect.? The rest of us just need to come by and sign up between
10am and 7pm?

And you're assigning trails and times? I can see this might be a nightmare. Some won't like their trails or times. I'm even a little worried you might put me on a tail I'm not comfortable with. But if you let people pick you might have too many on one trail?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Boston, is the Thursday 4-6pm meeting mandatory for everyone, or just trail leaders ect.? The rest of us just need to come by and sign up between
10am and 7pm?

And your assigning trails and times? I can see this might be a nightmear. Some won't like thier trails or times. I'm even a little worried you might put me on a tail I'm not comfortable with. But if you let people pick you might have too many on one trail?
yeah - we're limited to 20 vehicles per run per BLM, so we're going to have to do some management. but....we'll make sure to accomodate everyone, and of course won't force you to do a run you don't want to do. I think the beauty of this whole thing is that all trails will be beautiful and there won't really be a 'bad' run, ya know?

I'll let everyone know of more details in the coming weeks. Working w/ trail teams on this....

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
yeah - we're limited to 20 vehicles per run per BLM, so we're going to have to do some management. but....we'll make sure to accomodate everyone, and of course won't force you to do a run you don't want to do. I think the beauty of this whole thing is that all trails will be beautiful and there won't really be a 'bad' run, ya know?

I'll let everyone know of more details in the coming weeks. Working w/ trail teams on this....
Correction: As a condition of our permits and for safety reasons we will be limited to 8 vehicles per group per the National Forest Service and BLM. This is a safety precaution to facilitate backing to turnouts for on coming traffic. The good news is we are permitted to do staggered starts with interval between. This is an important rule which comes down from their vast experience with event in this area. NFS are thrilled we are coming and quite supportive of our efforts.

The NSF has also restricted a couple of areas for guided trail rides, but have also indicated these are still open to the public and small groups can still travel them. The only reason for any restrictions is safety.

Jason is right there are SO many great trails, we took 12 hours to navigate the Alpine Loop including a great lunch in Lake City. This trail alone is an experience of a lifetime.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
Correction: As a condition of our permits and for safety reasons we will be limited to 8 vehicles per group per the National Forest Service and BLM. This is a safety precaution to facilitate backing to turnouts for on coming traffic. The good news is we are permitted to do staggered starts with interval between. This is an important rule which comes down from their vast experience with event in this area. NFS are thrilled we are coming and quite supportive of our efforts.

The NSF has also restricted a couple of areas for guided trail rides, but have also indicated these are still open to the public and small groups can still travel them. The only reason for any restrictions is safety.

Jason is right there are SO many great trails, we took 12 hours to navigate the Alpine Loop including a great lunch in Lake City. This trail alone is an experience of a lifetime.

I'm at a loss as to how to thank the organizers enough. ...but I'll figure out something to at least try.

Thanks on the insight to the Alpine loop. That and Blackbear Pass are on my to do list while there.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
I just ran Cinnamon Pass last week and *WOW*! It has to be one of the most beautiful places I've been. There were lots of beavers along the way, too. They peep at each other warning that there's someone coming. So fuzzy and cute (hey, I'm a chick)!

The trail is mainly graded road and nothing a stock FJ can't handle. I'd say the tricky part is when you encounter someone coming from the other direction.

Bring a camera!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I just ran Cinnamon Pass last week and *WOW*! It has to be one of the most beautiful places I've been. There were lots of beavers along the way, too. They peep at each other warning that there's someone coming. So fuzzy and cute (hey, I'm a chick)!

Bring a camera!
Are you sure those weren't Marmots? Tons of em up there:

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Are you sure those weren't Marmots? Tons of em up there:

are those the ones that go "SQUEAKY!" like a dog toy?

Whatever that was, I saw tons of them in Rocky Mountain National Park...

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah, those are yellow-bellied marmots.
Tons of them around up in these hills.

You will find some beavers at the lower elevations
easily identified by the dams they create on the creeks, just like any where else.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts