Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real reason to paint Bud Built skids other than aesthetics's? I like the raw steel color and understand he's dipped them in something to protect them.

Maybe some other ideas are out there. Clear coat? In my situation I really have no wish to paint them, if I'm gonna leave "Rock Art" in my wake.

Dan

·
Registered
849 Posts
hi silverdusk. :) RUST.......paint them. we painted ours. use the krylon hammered.........they have a bunch of shades and a light grey that looks close to the raw metal color. we used the hammered grey (a shade darker) and it looks good.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If you like how they look....clear coat them. It''ll stop most rust just fine, but you'll need to recoat accordingly....which you'll need to do with paint as you scratch it off. Clearcoat generally won't be as rust preventative as a good zinc chromate based self etching primer and a coat of regular paint, but it will slow down any oxidizing. Worst case scenario....you'll have to pull of the skid at some point, hit it with a sander and scotch brite pad and then re-apply the clear coat.

97 cents a can at Wal Mart. ;)
Sean

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
paint your skids any color but steel grey.

because you want to see where the paint's coming off so you can respray it to prevent rust.

i like black, because you can't tell if it's a halfassed spraycan job.

but dragon has some snazzy yeller skids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts