Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an '07 since new that didn't come with the hitch package. Bought one of those Curt detachable hitches from ExpOne when I got my bumper in '12. Never installed it. I know, I know.

Anyway might finally need to tow a small trailer with a UTV on it. As best as I can tell, I can't just plug a harness into the adapter at the back end of the vehicle. I still need the controller in the cab and relay plus fuses in engine compartment. Correct?

Is there any reason not to use the OEM kit? I don't think I'll ever need surge brakes, etc.. I have no problems doing the electrical work. I wired all my lights, fridge, dual battery, etc. I just remember reading about the guy who didn't fuse his trailer wiring and burned his FJ to the ground. I just don't want to do that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2010 had an aftermarket hitch and what looked like factory wiring, when I bought it, almost 3 years ago. I went to use it yesterday for the first time since getting my it and only the tail lights worked, no brake or signal. My buddy and I first hooked my trailer to his truck and all worked, so we knew it was my FJ. We searched online and found the fuses to check, all were good. Later I did a bit more searching and found the link posted above. After doing a bit of looking, my FJ has all the factory wiring, fuses, and relay, but no converter box under dash. White plug is just hanging there waiting to be plugged in. I went to the local dealer and they'll have the kit for me tomorrow. I'll have a spare plug, but that's not a bad thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not gonna come on here and say dont use Toyota stuff, but I used the CURT 55567. Works great for 42 bucks and simple to install, curt even has a vidoe of FJ install.
I too bought that kit. It was fairly easy to install. It's hard to cram hour hand in the rear light and strip wire back. I wish I would've bought the OEM kit. Plug and play. I read somewhere some FJ burnt to the ground because his trailer had a surge . Shorted out and burnt some wires. Oem has fuse to protect from shorts. Splicing into the lights do not protect you. Not worth saving 60$

·
Registered
295 Posts
The OEM trailer wiring kit has multiple safety features to protect the FJ from trailer wiring faults. Definitely worth the cost. Then you have a clean installation that doesn't reduce the value of the FJ with something that looks like a hack job. Even if you eventually want the 7 pin trailer plug, you would still use the OEM 4 pin kit to provide the lighting signals safely.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The OEM kit comes with everything you need. Hardest part is locating the white plug in the drivers side kick panel.

GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

I’m stuck already. I’m just unpacking the box. I have the items listed on the instructions, but I don’t see the white plug in the drivers side kick panel. PLUS! I don’t see what piece goes there anyway. I have this piece, (grey with bracket attached) that I thought went up under the rear end. Does the piece pictured actually go up under the dash on the drivers side?
If so, where?
Also, the actual trailer connection plug. Where does that plug in under the rear part of the FJ?
I’m just not getting it.

So where does this go?

How does this connect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I’m stuck already. I’m just unpacking the box. I have the items listed on the instructions, but I don’t see the white plug in the drivers side kick panel. PLUS! I don’t see what piece goes there anyway. I have this piece, (grey with bracket attached) that I thought went up under the rear end. Does the piece pictured actually go up under the dash on the drivers side?
If so, where?
Also, the actual trailer connection plug. Where does that plug in under the rear part of the FJ?
I’m just not getting it.

I will go out and take a picture, as its on my truck.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,287 Posts
The gray converter pack goes under the dash and is wrapped in that foam supplied. It's circled in RED and the red line above the black is the kick panel in place. Padding & grommet is on the firewall for reference.

3 fuses to the under hood fuse box.

The pigtail square connector end goes to the matching connector on the left/drivers side frame rail. Go towards the front of the vehicle a bit from the rear bumper, right above the OEM tow hook. It should be there, wrapped in electrical tape.

The other wires I have there in both locations are for the 7 pin round trailer converter. Don't worry about those, you won't have them.

Attachments

·
A-Team Moderator
10,287 Posts
My white plug was behind the loom and white clip shown in the red square. I think, but I don't remember for sure as it's been a few years, that is was wrapped in something making it hard to see. Different model years may have stuffed them in different places as they went down the assembly line.

Now, be a contortionist and git to it! >:D

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok! This all makes much more sense! From watching the video, I thought he was mounting the grey box under the back end behind the rear bumper. Then I saw something goes up under the drivers side of the dash. I thought I was missing a part. All good now.
Thx All!

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
Finely calibrated fingers will work but being bendy is still the best.

It took some rootin' around to find the plug when I installed mine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What’s the secret to getting this plug out?
(FYI, the rust is all on the aftermarket hitch the PO installed. The rest of the frame looks very good. Especially with 190,000 miles.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts