Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a second tent. I got a light weight, electrically wired LED tent and love it. However it's not warm at all, and starting to show it's age. So who has experience with a good heavy duty tent. I've got a family of three so I'm looking for something that will hold three cots. Tent will be used for everything, in all types of environments.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
It's HEAVY but I loved this one for years - never had any problems under any conditions and always stayed dry: Outfitter Series XWT. Of course the ex-wife has that one now so I went with something smaller for just me and my husky: Outback Lodge Tent

- Lee

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I've got to put a dollar amount on this I guess. Lets open this to the three seasons tents as well. I can't see spending over $600 on my next tent. Thanks for the info so far I'll browse around on those web pages a bit.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
I've got a 4 and an 8 man Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model dome style tents with aluminum poles, that I love and have had really good luck with. They are a bit pricey though. I had my bigger one set up in a private campground when a really nasty wind storm hit. The tree by my site was about 4" thick and was leaning over at almost 90* and the tent just sat there no problem. The next morning we found out that several motor homes and camp trailers had lost their awnings and the debris was spread across the campground. This included the material, legs, brackets, and siding from the trailer or motor home.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Another option would be to get a 10x10 or 12x12 pop up tent with the side panels. You could then put your regular tent inside and use a Mr Buddy type heater
to keep it comfortable in the winter.

We have done this a few times and it works great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
$600 dollars for a four season tent that would hold 3 cots is not going to get you anything of good quality. LL bean has a backcountry 3 person, 4 season tent that is really nice, but it won't hold 3 cots. The only 4 season tents I can see holding 3 cots and some gear would be the north face dome tents. They range from 1300-7k. You might want to consider a wall tent and some sort of heating unit and you can find some decent deals on ebay. I would look for canvas as that will be the most durable and warmest. It will be significant added weight though. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the only decision I have made is to get a three season tent this year. I'm going to look at Cabela's next month during the grand opening here in Wichita.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a Marmot Limestone 4P tent for our family excursions in the FJ Cruiser. I've used in in Colorado (summertime) and Missouri. I really like it- easy to set up, easy to clean, durable and spacious. I bought it at REI.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3 tent Mountain Hardwear | Hammerhead 3

I really like it because it is flexable (3-4 season), large and light (for it's size). I've been through some pretty cold nights in it and always been comfortable and dry. I like winter camping so comfortable to me may be pretty cold to others.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Look at Eureka tents, i bought one last year and it worked awesome for drive in camping. I am looking at a small light one for multi-day hikes.. Good quality tent IMO.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I'll second the eureka tents they are decent and cheap enough for a 3 season tent. I gave up on tents years ago and only use hammocks now. Much more comfy for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like my Springbar. It too is heavy, but built to last. I also like that you can stand up in it. Be warned, if the weather gets bad everyone will end up in your tent.

Springbar® Camping Tents
Thanks for the link, I ordered one of these (vagabond 4) last week and it arrived today. This is the best tent for the money I have ever seen ($467 delivered). Anyone who is serious about a good quality American made tent should definitely check these out. Thanks again.
:rocker:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: well I pulled the trigger on this tent.

Cabela's Cabela's Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Geodesic Tent: questions, answers, how to, FAQs, tips, advice, answers, buying guide

This tent Alaskan guide 8 man (approx 13'x13') has pretty good reviews. I also upgraded and got the aluminum poles. The first trip out with this will be the FJ summit. Can't wait! Should have bought this last year instead of staying at Box Canyon, it would have already paid for its self. Well thanks everyone for you input.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Thanks for the link, I ordered one of these (vagabond 4) last week and it arrived today. This is the best tent for the money I have ever seen ($467 delivered). Anyone who is serious about a good quality American made tent should definitely check these out. Thanks again.
:rocker:
I just bought a Springbar Vagabond 4 today here at the factory/store here in SLC

Got a deal on zip-on awning(not pictured), door mat (not pictured) steel stakes,and ground cloth made out of the same thick cotton xanvas material. This tent is extremely well made cotton canvas with a lifetime warranty. No rain fly necessary with this type of tent and a huge window on the other side of tent.

USA made 10ftX12ft. This will literally last a lifetime and is more than triple the size of an RTT for 1/6 of the price. You can stand up if you're 6'4 or less.

Definitely a car camping tent. This thing is heavy duty, probably 60 plus pounds with all of the components.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts