Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering going the 4X2 route myself. I don't plan much, if any, rough trailing so I really feel the 4X2 will serve my needs just fine. Did you have trouble finding one?

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Go 4x4, you won't regret it. I made the 4x2 mistake when I bought my 4runner and regretted from the beginning. Wasn't going to make the same misktake with the FJ- the way I see it, its better to have something and not use it, then need somthing and not have it. Its the old boyscout in me-always be prepared. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am seriously considering going the 4X2 route myself. I don't plan much, if any, rough trailing so I really feel the 4X2 will serve my needs just fine. Did you have trouble finding one?

Opinions?
I never understood why anyone would buy a 4x2 FJ.. besides it being a money thing...I know there are alot of 4x2 owners in here that are going to be pee'd off at me but I'm just givin you my thoughts. It's like buying a mustang with a v6....... a pizza without pep......they shouldn't even sell 4x2 fj's...sorry in advance to the 4x2 owners...this is just how I feel....please don't kill me:cheers:

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'll say one thing about this, and then I will shut up. I have a friend who bought a truck at the same time as me (not an FJ). We both bought the same year, paid about the same (he paid slightly less), and had the same mileage.

When it was time to move on, he got about half out of his 4x2 of what I got out of my 4x4.

Sure he paid less upfront, and his gas costs were less because the 4x2 got better mileage. The problem was that his resale sucked, because the majority of truck purchasers are looking for 4x4's.

If you never plan on selling it, then I guess it negates the resale argument. However... you could probably pick up a lightly used one for way less than new, because there is somebody out there who bought a 4x2 and wants out of it. It could be a really good opportunity for you to get a screaming deal.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I never understood why anyone would buy a 4x2 FJ.. besides it being a money thing...I know there are alot of 4x2 owners in here that are going to be pee'd off at me but I'm just givin you my thoughts. It's like buying a mustang with a v6....... a pizza without pep......they shouldn't even sell 4x2 fj's...sorry in advance to the 4x2 owners...this is just how I feel....please don't kill me:cheers:
It's okay buddy, just don't go to sleep tonight. :rofl:

I'll say one thing about this, and then I will shut up. I have a friend who bought a truck at the same time as me (not an FJ). We both bought the same year, paid about the same (he paid slightly less), and had the same mileage.

When it was time to move on, he got about half out of his 4x2 of what I got out of my 4x4.

Sure he paid less upfront, and his gas costs were less because the 4x2 got better mileage. The problem was that his resale sucked, because the majority of truck purchasers are looking for 4x4's.

If you never plan on selling it, then I guess it negates the resale argument. However... you could probably pick up a lightly used one for way less than new, because there is somebody out there who bought a 4x2 and wants out of it. It could be a really good opportunity for you to get a screaming deal.
I think the only difference in resale will be the difference in cost of the vehicle. If you go to any toyota dealership's website and check out their inventory, they have a ton of 4x2's, so there must be demand for them! At least down here in Texas!

The bottom line is that you have to ask yourself what you'll be doing with the truck. Yes, I wish I had gotten a 4x4, but I got a fantastic deal on mine, which is really the only was the FJ was going to fit in my budget. I've got the locker, so for mild trails, you'll be fine. Just don't expect to be able to rock crawl with all the other 4x4's. It also means you may have to work harder to get through the same obstacles because you're pushing yourself from the rear wheels. Wrigman and FJVP are both great examples of 4x2's that hang with the 4x4's for the vast majority of the time. Do I sometimes wish I had a 4x4? Yes. Do I regret my purchase? Absolutely not! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Rock the 4x2! if you aren't going to go running every weekend or go buck wild you really don't need the 4x4 there are many people with great 4x2's on here that can make it in some rough stuff. where are the 4x2's tell them why you like the 4x2...:cheers:
That's exactly what I was tryin' to say! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I don't regret my 4x2 purchase. I purchased mine and found this forum. I read and learned about different mods and trail runs. I decided to attend a SoCal Meet and Greet and I was hooked. At the time I thought I should have bought a 4x4. After talking to some of the other "Pre Runner" owners, I caught the mod fever and have been happy with my 4x2 ever since. I get a few comments here on the forums but to me it's like a sibling teasing...no big deal. At the end of the day it's an FJ. Remember that the 4x2 FJ is a very capable off road vehicle. Just ask FJVP, Wrigman, Acetechno, FJDave and others on the 4x2 section.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I've done some pretty fun stuff in my 4X2, more than a lot of the 4X4 guys said I could. However, not nearly as much fun stuff as Wrigman in his 4X2...that rig is a MONSTER!

The 4X4 guys are always going to tell you that 4X2's suck. Us 4X2 guys are going to tell you the truth about the 4X2. But at the end of the day, we all wheel together, and everyone is impressed with us 4X2 guys.

Get what you want! Mine is a 4X4 without the transfer case or front wheel pull. I also have less maintenance costs, less weight, and better mileage. So there, 4X4 boyz! :D

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Rock the 4x2! if you aren't going to go running every weekend or go buck wild you really don't need the 4x4 there are many people with great 4x2's on here that can make it in some rough stuff. where are the 4x2's tell them why you like the 4x2...:cheers:
Thanks Brad!!! I am here Buddy! My 4x2 is one bad bad boy. I get folks that just jaw drop when they see my fella. My jaw drops when he drags me outa bad stuff!!!!

A 4x2 can be a really fine ride. It is all about how you modify it! Mine sure thinks that he has his superman cape on!

OH yeah, I drove mine down to Grand Isle yesterday. That is WAY down on the coast of LA. I figured my gas mileage, 19.1 mpg. That was a mixed bag of tricks on a 3" lift and 33" tires. Some highway but mainly small town miles. That is definitely a PLUS on a 4x2!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The 4X4 guys are always going to tell you that 4X2's suck. Us 4X2 guys are going to tell you the truth about the 4X2. But at the end of the day, we all wheel together, and everyone is impressed with us 4X2 guys.
Yeah, but do you still want a 4x4 deep down? :lol: How much better is your gas mileage? Now that you're lifted like a 4x4 and running bigger and wider tires, I think you probably get very similiar mileage. :D

Btw, I didn't say your 4x2 suck, but that wasn't the question. :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Nice Kim! That gives me the confidence I needed to finally buy my 285's. I've been dreading it! lol
Dude, get the 285s!!! You really graduate to the Big League when you add those to the lift! You will not regret it!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've done some pretty fun stuff in my 4X2, more than a lot of the 4X4 guys said I could. However, not nearly as much fun stuff as Wrigman in his 4X2...that rig is a MONSTER!

Get what you want! Mine is a 4X4 without the transfer case or front wheel pull. I also have less maintenance costs, less weight, and better mileage. So there, 4X4 boyz! :D
X2 plus it costs less to insure too! :)

Pre-Runners we are!!!!! :cheers:

no regrets! :wave:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, living here in West TN there is not a lot of places to go "crawling". Besides, I'm not the type of person to shell out $25K for a ride and then take it through the woods. Sure it looks fun and I would love to do it to an old 4X4, but not one that I would worry about scratching.

BTW, what does, "pre-runner" mean. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've done some pretty fun stuff in my 4X2, more than a lot of the 4X4 guys said I could. However, not nearly as much fun stuff as Wrigman in his 4X2...that rig is a MONSTER! :D
:rawr:WOW Dave! Don't know what to say! Thank you!
I still won't crawl rocks though.:grinbiginvert:

P.S. A lot of 4X2 rigs have followed in Nala's tire prints lately!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, living here in West TN there is not a lot of places to go "crawling". Besides, I'm not the type of person to shell out $25K for a ride and then take it through the woods. Sure it looks fun and I would love to do it to an old 4X4, but not one that I would worry about scratching.

BTW, what does, "pre-runner" mean. Just curious.
pre-runner comes from the tacoma line up. basically it means having every thing the 4x4 has with out the transfer case, front diff, cv shafts and front drive shaft. i think in 4x2 fj case it really doesn't work out as much since we have diffrent suspension setups than the 4x4. I'm personally planing on "prerunning" my fj with midtravel suspension up front and back. since I live in socal lots of my friends have long travel/midtravel trucks, and PERSONALLY I think its funner blasting through the desert at 70mph then crawling through rocks at 2mph but im not knocking it. I have crawled before and it is a great experience but just not my forte.

funny though how distorted the term prerunner has become, its original meaning was that of a vehicle that would PRERUN a race course prior to a race to familiarize oneself to it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
pre-runner comes from the tacoma line up. basically it means having every thing the 4x4 has with out the transfer case, front diff, cv shafts and front drive shaft. i think in 4x2 fj case it really doesn't work out as much since we have diffrent suspension setups than the 4x4. I'm personally planing on "prerunning" my fj with midtravel suspension up front and back. since I live in socal lots of my friends have long travel/midtravel trucks, and PERSONALLY I think its funner blasting through the desert at 70mph then crawling through rocks at 2mph but im not knocking it. I have crawled before and it is a great experience but just not my forte.

funny though how distorted the term prerunner has become, its original meaning was that of a vehicle that would PRERUN a race course prior to a race to familiarize oneself to it.

Um, bud, the term "Prerunner"comes from the off-road scene. These are the trucks that a driver and his co-driver will "Prerun" the coarse with. Almost all the trucks are 2WD trucks that are lifted with skids underneath and tube front bumpers with light bars. Toyota picked up the term from these off-roaders and made a lifted 2WD truck and gave them the "Prerunner" badge and name.:bandit:

Sorry My Bad! I didn't read the last part of the quoted post!!!Just kick me!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.