Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is all about equal opportunity. In support of our 4X2 brethren, I'll open this one to see if anyone wishes they had bought the 4X2 instead the 4X4. I'm not poking fun here. Maybe this can take some of the unappreciated traffic out of the other thread. Please keep the comments... reasonably friendly.

I have no regrets about buying my 4X4.

·
Registered
534 Posts
After going off road (and experiencing my first frightful moment on just three wheels) I now have the constant urge to run things over in urban environments?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
no regrets, and I have MT, so 4x4 all the time, baby YEAH!

I do wish I could go in and out of 4x4 like I could with my '04 Tacoma. ;)

and btw, I am FEMALE. Toyota Corp was baffled by me, twice. :D

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
It was a close thing for me 4x2 or 4x4 ...:huh:

:domotwak::domotwak::domotwak::domotwak::domotwak:

Maybe not so close.

I have friends with 4x2's and know some people who bought an FJ for one reason and then found the forum and buddies to run the rig in the dirt with. You limit where you can go and the conditions you can go in with a 4x2 and that wasn't for me.

·
Registered
940 Posts
No way. My 4x4 takes me every where I care to go, and some places I don't. This thing rocks!

I'm so infatuated with it, my girlfriend's jealous.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Nope, this is my third Toyota 4WD since 1990.
I like to explore a lot in the hills where I go, and 4WD is a must in some places.

Plus the snow and ice we get here during the winter.

I will always have a 4WD from now on.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
To tell you the truth I am not even sure the 4X2 is offered in Canada....I know I have never seen one up here that I know of.....I am sure they are here....But I would so miss coming home in a snow storm and having to WISH that the driveway was plowed.....Now I giggle and wish for it to NOT be plowed.....yeeehawwwww....4x2 and snow drifts just don't go together....I love my 4x4 and can't imagine being without it. If gas prices keep going nuts I may just have to find out.....Perish the thought!!!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I love 4x2s! They're great. I just built a huge playhouse for my girls - framed it up with 4x2s... wait... those were 2x4s... what do ya do with a 4x2? ;)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
never considered a 4x2 since highschool when i drove my dads 1976 Chevy Stepside with a 350 eng.....had locker on rear but there is only so much GROUNDHAWG tires can get you out of on the rear....

Hell No Regrets

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I have only had 4x4 over the many years, I would never think about a two wheel drive vehicle. Mud, Snow, Ice, Rain, Rocks, Dirt, Swamps....Nope, 4x4 all the way baby! :D

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Never had any regrets about going 4x4,no one little bit!!!:rocker:

Plus they never offered 4x2 in Las Vegas when the FJs first came out, so had no choice!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I've owned 2 other new SUVs before the FJC. I didn't get 4x4 in the past cuz I thought it was too expensive and that I wouldn't use it. I wasn't going to make that mistake a third time. It does cost a bit more but over the payment spread, not much really....and I have used it and will every year.

I'm glad I got it in 4x4.

I have no regrets in going 4x4, that being said I would not mind picking up a 2nd FJ in 4x2 form to build a pre-runner type high speed desert toy.
But if you did get a 4x2 it would be an automatic :(

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I will answer your question with a question... What good is an FJ (other than looking cool) if you cant leave the pavement or a dirt road? Gas mileage? NO. Cat like handling? NO. Superior street performance? NO. Check this out............a quote from us news.com======>Toyota FJ Cruiser - What the Auto Press Says

The 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser ranks 10 out of 25 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 56 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota FJ Cruiser, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.

In keeping with its 40 year-old namesake, the eye-catching FJ Cruiser delivers solid off-road performance and ranks near the middle of its class.

If you want to stand out from the crowd and can live with some interior nits, the new FJ is a solid choice. Upon its introduction, the Toyota FJ Cruiser quickly wowed critics with its out-of-this-world looks and impressive off-roading performance. The Washington Post calls the FJ "a motorized conundrum, a marvelous bit of engineering at once simple and complicated, capable of conquering the most inhospitable terrain but actually designed to appeal to the outdoor fantasies of the urban elite." Still, the FJ's low points are a cramped rear seat, poor visibility and sub-standard interior materials. But buyers may overlook these problems simply because of the SUV's fun, rugged nature.

I think you catch my drift, everyone raves and rants about OFFROAD performance and I'm pretty sure they are not testing 2WD's! That's my 2 cents.....or 6 cents? :lol:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
PS- my previous comment came in peace!:hippy: No disrespect intended to 2WD owners. A 2WD FJ is better than no FJ at all! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts