Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, today's project is to black out my mirrors. I was going to buy the TT mirrors, but figured I'll give paint a try to save close to $300. Im not a fan of plasti dip for this job, and will use bumper paint or fusion krylon.

Questions,

does paint bind up the swing mechanism?

do chips look like crap?

any regrets with certain paints?

how did you mask off the textured black plastic rim without issues?

Any other issues as well?

Thanks!!!:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
No regrets at all after painting my mirrors and bumper wings black last year. To your questions:

does paint bind up the swing mechanism? No, it had no effect on the mirror's ability to swing.

do chips look like crap? I didn't put enough coats on. After a year, there were chips from bugs and such and the silver plastic showed through in places. If you put enough coats on, with some clearcoat, I would predict that this could be prevented. It still looked better than silver mirrors to me, because it matched the body color.

any regrets with certain paints? No, but I'm not that picky. Some members have a strong preference as to flat vs. semi-gloss, etc.

how did you mask off the textured black plastic rim without issues? I only left the silver parts of the mirrors and bumpers exposed, and masked off the rest. If it was black already it didn't get painted.

Any other issues as well? Just be careful of overspray so you don't end up with black paint in places you don't want it. That's an obvious one but worth mentioning anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Don't forget your door handles, those are easy. Just don't try to remove the plastic handle covers once you remove the handles from the doors, that phillips head screw appears to be welded on.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I often wish I did the plasti dip. From what I hear it is more durable and the plastics spray paint I used is chipping. And I didnt mask off anything. I took everything completely off and painted it

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! It sounds like Bullmoose painted the mirrors while on the truck when overspray was mentioned. I planned on taking them off to avoid that and to install new bulbs in the mirrors.

Removing them is necessary for that right?

What paint did you use if you love the match?

Did everyone clear coat too?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, when I've used plasti dip, it rips when I remove the excess, and seems to get bumpy and clumpy. I would try that if I can leave the mirrors on and do it right. there are weird angles where I'm afraid it wouldn't spray properly. If I take them off, I'm definitely painting them.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't paint my mirrors at all....... makes it kinda hard to see anything with 'em.

How has nobody said that yet?????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haven't actually done it yet, but I was planning on using spray bed liner product. Figured it would hold up to desert pinstripes and the texture might match better.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,046 Posts
Haven't actually done it yet, but I was planning on using spray bed liner product. Figured it would hold up to desert pinstripes and the texture might match better.
5 years, no problems.

2014-11-04_16-11-53_734.jpg

2013-05-14_2.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts