Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any good/reputable mechanics/shops in chicago that will be able to install a lift properly? Please, let me know as I would like to install a real lift and get rid of my spacers.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
What kind of lift do you want installed?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've also been looking in Chicago...

I got a couple of local quotes but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If anyone has a good recommendation somewhere around Chicago, I already have an Icon stage 1 here in boxes waiting to be installed!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have a shop in the west burbs that I trust inside and out. They have performed multiple lifts for me, great alignments and stand behind their work.

They lifted my... First FJ, my 4runner, my Tundra, dropped my tundra and long traveled my Tacoma and lifted my current FJC...... They will do the body chop and everything...

Autopractor 630-444-1414
ask for Gary, the owner and let him know that Joe Krelle Sent you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed the questions regarding a shop to do lifts for your fj. Attitude Performance in Arlington Heights would be the place. Matt Dinelli is the owner and seems to know his stuff regarding lifts. He did my Old Man Emu on my fj as well as a Icon kit on a Tacoma that I had.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for replying, for some reason, I didn't receive the email that someone replied.....so, I thought that no one replied. Again...thank you!

I am looking to put on a Toytec or Icon 3" lift. I have thought about the Old Man EMU as well, but was concerned that it wouldn't work well with adjustable UCA's. I am likely wrong there, so if anyone knows what I can do to save on cost, I would greatly appreciate it! :) I really would like to have adjustable UCA's installed, so that would factor in.

The Old Man's are not adjustable correct? The shocks that is. My other concern is leveling the vehicle after isntalling an aftermarket bumper. I know they all differ in weight, so I thought that going with an adjustable lift would be my best bet. But, that again....is just an assumption and may not be correct. An Old Man EMU might work just fine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I noticed the questions regarding a shop to do lifts for your fj. Attitude Performance in Arlington Heights would be the place. Matt Dinelli is the owner and seems to know his stuff regarding lifts. He did my Old Man Emu on my fj as well as a Icon kit on a Tacoma that I had.
The only thing I got out of Attitude was an attitude, and catalogs of bling. He's way over priced as well.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have had TERRIBLE luck with Attitude Performance. I purchased my first Icon lift kit for them. They wanted to charge $1100 for install. And when I told them no because that is like double what it should cost, they charged me shipping (to them) for the Icon product even though I picked it up at their location, and then tried to charge me more for the lift because they were not installing it. The install was never mentioned when I ordered the thing.

Then when I had a rear icon shock blow out, Icon covered shipping both ways but Attitude Performance had a (handling Fee) To slap a label on it so it came from an authorized reseller.

Don't ever ever ever go there. They will raid your wallet and give you crappy customer service while they do it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've also been looking in Chicago...

I got a couple of local quotes but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If anyone has a good recommendation somewhere around Chicago, I already have an Icon stage 1 here in boxes waiting to be installed!
Mike,

Once this weather gets a little better come on up and we can throw that lift on for you! Won't cost you anything but maybe some beverages!

Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unclebuck13- i also have a toyotec 3" kit in boxes waiting to be installed ..I can supply the refreshments!! for sure on a nice warm weekend if this is something you are interested in??? Id way rather have at it along with someone who nos what there doing rather than have sum shop rip me off and give me terrible service..kinda takes away at what its all about!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have helped installing 2 lifts my own and a friend (also forum member) and I would definitely help if you guys set up a time and date. Always good to meet other fj'rs

Nono

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mike,

Once this weather gets a little better come on up and we can throw that lift on for you! Won't cost you anything but maybe some beverages!

Kevin
Thanks for the offer Kevin.
I may take you up on that, but I'm impatient and will probably get it done before this weather ever warms up!

Doesn't mean we shouldn't meet up again and share some beers though :cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Unclebuck13- i also have a toyotec 3" kit in boxes waiting to be installed ..I can supply the refreshments!! for sure on a nice warm weekend if this is something you are interested in??? Id way rather have at it along with someone who nos what there doing rather than have sum shop rip me off and give me terrible service..kinda takes away at what its all about!
Dramma,

I live just over the border in Wisconsin and have all the tools needed and if we don't Sears is right around the corner! I am willing to help most anyone work on their vehicles. I have installed my lift myself and done the blackout on 3 FJ's and helped Mike with his! You can shoot me a pm with your details and we can work something out. I work most weekends but have most Sunday's free. It would be nice if we wait till it drys up a little. Not too worried about the temps but I hate working in the rain and the FJ does not fit into my garage! Let me know if I can help...always willing to help a fellow FJ'er!
Kevin

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the offer Kevin.
I may take you up on that, but I'm impatient and will probably get it done before this weather ever warms up!

Doesn't mean we shouldn't meet up again and share some beers though :cheers:

Not too worried about the temps Mike but it would be nice if it was not raining so much!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow....maybe I'll stay away from Attitude!! I'd throw it on myself, but I have no idea how to adjust the UCA's and what not if I get those with the lift. I have a spacer lift now, but I would like to add the Toytec lift or the Old Man EMU to replace that the spacers. I will not be off-roading on any difficult terrain or anything like that. So, I am sure as MTN MULE said, maybe the Old Man EMU is my best choice for cost and the fact that I will not be climbing anything that would cause massive articulation in the suspension.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, if I can take someone up on an offer to help install a lift, that would be great! Like you said, it's also great to meet a few local FJ'ers. I just love this truck!!! If I could afford and FJ40, I'd get one of those too. :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm a fan of the Toytec lift. Their rear springs are nice in that it levels the FJC rather well. They are also quite easy to install!

Did someone mention they're looking for a 40? I just happen to know a guy that just might part with his rust free 40 for a reasonable price.....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Did someone mention they're looking for a 40? I just happen to know a guy that just might part with his rust free 40 for a reasonable price.....
That's not you is it?!?!?! ^^^^^

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 40' are great....but I have my hands full with my current FJ. I wish your buddy luck with selling it. It's a great old ride!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts