Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the bank 2 1st cat due to low efficiency.
Have been looking at the DT short header and a Magnaflow free flow cat.

I see some with the later model FJs have had trouble with error codes possibly related to the air injection system. I don't have time to deal with issues... I have to pass emissions next month so I'm hoping to get some feedback before pulling the trigger on either a stock replacement or the header/cat combo.

The FJ already has a 2.25" free flow true dual exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I haven't seen anything related to error codes with short headers on the 07-09 models, though I have no personal experience. I have read some comments that the best cat for the FJ is the Toyota cat. IMHO unless the short headers + cat + install (welding them together) is cheaper than the Toyota cat I'd probably just go with Toyota. Especially since you only need to replace one side.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen anything related to error codes with short headers on the 07-09 models, though I have no personal experience. I have read some comments that the best cat for the FJ is the Toyota cat. IMHO unless the short headers + cat + install (welding them together) is cheaper than the Toyota cat I'd probably just go with Toyota. Especially since you only need to replace one side.
Thanks for the response...
I opted to go with a direct replacement ebay integrated cat.
Once I have the old one off I plan to build a welding jig so that I can go for the header and Magnaflow cat.
I just dont have the time now to have the FJ down while replacing it.
With the current system, the cats are the exhaust system restrictions. .. so the swap will happen one side at a time. I plan to keep the FJ... barring a total loss accident... and even then I would build it into an offroad toy, so none of these mods are wasted lol.
The current dual exhaust added a butt noticeable amount of power... It stands to reason that headers and a freeflow cat will add more performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts