Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be going down to San Diego/ Chula Vista this Saturday and am planning on using my new Trail Team FJ.

Can anyone suggest some fun, quick trails for a newbie? one where I wouldn't have to worry about not having recovery gear or be out of cellphone coverage? This be my first 4x4... and the closest experience I have to rock crawling is dragging the bottom of my dropped BMW over speed bumps really really slow.

Just a quick 30 minute to 1 hour trail that would be fun for both me and my girlfriend... maybe somewhat scenic so I can get her more interested in offroading with me. Like a fun fire road up a mountain or something.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I am going to be going down to San Diego/ Chula Vista this Saturday and am planning on using my new Trail Team FJ.

Can anyone suggest some fun, quick trails for a newbie? one where I wouldn't have to worry about not having recovery gear or be out of cellphone coverage? This be my first 4x4... and the closest experience I have to rock crawling is dragging the bottom of my dropped BMW over speed bumps really really slow.

Just a quick 30 minute to 1 hour trail that would be fun for both me and my girlfriend... maybe somewhat scenic so I can get her more interested in offroading with me. Like a fun fire road up a mountain or something.

Bear valley road. easy and scenic. nothing hard about it but a fun trail nonetheless. take the 8 east past alpine. then the exit I believe is pine valley road. it's the exit after the julian exit, turn right and you are at the trail head. watch out for bikes and quads. if you make it to the end there are plenty of old ghost town gold mine ruins to chill and take pics of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Otay Truck Trail.
This is a super-easy graded trail. Nice views. You will run into Border Patrol. Take the east fork at the top of the mountain into Dulzura or Barrett Junction and eat at either of the cafes.

Finding the west trail head can be a little tricky. It is next to the Alta Cafe, before you get to Donovan State Prison.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
This is a super-easy graded trail. Nice views. You will run into Border Patrol. Take the east fork at the top of the mountain into Dulzura or Barrett Junction and eat at either of the cafes.

Finding the west trail head can be a little tricky. It is next to the Alta Cafe, before you get to Donovan State Prison.
Hey Jerry great additional info on Otay! Thanks. Where are you in SD?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh snap! Right on. There are a lot of fun little trails over there that I like to do. :bigthumb:

One of the best is now closed thanks to the private owner on Hstreet. I loved that jeep trail. Oh well. Many more places to play out there.
You're not talking about Proctor Valley Road, are you?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Otay Mountain is minutes from my cousin's place in Chula Vista...

Are there gonna be turn offs so other trucks can get around me from the opposite direction? how does that work? I am such a newbie!!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Great Otay Mountain is minutes from my cousin's place in Chula Vista...

Are there gonna be turn offs so other trucks can get around me from the opposite direction? how does that work? I am such a newbie!!!
There are mirrors on all of the tight turns so you can see what is on the other side. If you do encounter another rig there are some areas where you can pull to the side. Always try to pull over next to the mountain not on the outside edge where you could roll down the hill (obvious to some people). You'll enjoy it. Make sure to stop at Coyote Junction which is right in the middle near the radio towers. There is a bunker just off the side of the road to mark this area. Park and walk north down a path and you will come to some old WWII bunkers located just down the hill.

Most of all, have fun.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Panda,
I'm sort of familiar with this area too. :wave: My wife is leaving for the weekend. I could meet you at the Pio Pico Campground at a time you designate and give you the tour. We could go as mild or aggressive as you feel comfortable with. Let me know.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Panda,
I'm sort of familiar with this area too. :wave: My wife is leaving for the weekend. I could meet you at the Pio Pico Campground at a time you designate and give you the tour. We could go as mild or aggressive as you feel comfortable with. Let me know.
That might be an idea... just can't commit to a time because I am actually headin down to San Diego to meet up with my cousin from Maryland... & we gonna be out late Friday Night as a pre bachelor party get together.

So Saturday I am gonna be playing by ear...

Nice emergency response truck you got in your sig btw... I was thinking of doing something similar in the future as well... a magnetic red cross would look kinda cool on the doors of my iceberg white TTSE

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I'd love too but got things goin on that day, and most the other SoCal folks will be going to forever wild aka kitty trip 2. there should be a few stragglers to roll with though. have fun and take pics!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Panda,

Just sent you a PM with my cell number. Whenever your up to hitting the mountain, just call. I can be to the trailhead in minutes and I have no other plans right now.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey FJ-Ollie, just wanted to say that although short... I had a great time. I was really surprised with how the FJ got up that hill & getting the "3 wheel motion" coming back down was a rush as well. Kinda wish I had action shots of those. But the view from the trail is absolutely incredible!!!

Next time I am in San Diego I'll for sure I'll be interested in doing another trail run & hanging out.:)

Well here are some pics!!!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Very cool, I wish I coulda went. I did however get to see my daughter in a preschool pagent where all the kids were singing and doing hand movements while she picked boogers and ate them. how embarrassing...for her in the future, I got it all on video. lol Boyfreind? I think not. hahahah. Seriously I need to get out there, this is one of the trails near my house I still have yet to run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts