Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What kind of HP. are you expecting out of the engine with the turbo? 400hp???

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Good point, not the best place to put a Turbo and the intake under the car if you use it to go wheeling.:simmadown:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
What ever happened to TurboFJ, the guy from the Middle East-UAE that turbo'd his FJ back in September?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of HP. are you expecting out of the engine with the turbo? 400hp???
Not sure, probably not quite that high. We'll play with it on the dyno and see what's safe. It's hot here (99 yesterday, 95 today) so safety is #1, power is a close 2nd.

Truck made 203hp @ 5100 and 248 ft/lb @ ~3550, so we've got our baseline.

Why are you sticking the turbo underneath?? Kind of a dangerous spot for a 4x4.
It's considerably easier from a fabrication and heat stand point. This is a street truck for the most part, driven by the owner of my company. The most he drives over is curbs and speed bumps at high rates of speed.

The turbo will be mounted as high as the stock muffler, and higher than the side steps on the truck.. so unless he decides to do some rock crawling or slide over some logs, he'll be fine. We're also going to do a skid plate out of 1/4" plate steel.

I don't think this is going to be a mass production kit. This is just something we're doing for the boss while he's on vacation. He's also getting a lift kit, push bar, driving lights, 3 backup lights up top, navigation w/backup cam, and some wheels and tires..

Here's a pic from under the truck..

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thats a nice setup, i have yet to see a twin turbo set up, i think that would be super cool., i used to have an Audi a6 bi-turbo, that thing hauled some serious a$$.

should be doable with the right amount of cash$$

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We don't do much twin turbo. It's just a lot more work and money for nominal gains.. other than looking cool.

There's a reason why all the supra guys rip the twins off and go big single. ;)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's a cool set up!:rocker:

·
Registered
624 Posts
We don't do much twin turbo. It's just a lot more work and money for nominal gains.. other than looking cool.

There's a reason why all the supra guys rip the twins off and go big single. ;)
There's a big difference between the sequential twin turbo systems that the 2jz and rb26 use verse the bi turbo 2.7 audi motor. The bi turbo cars use the 3 cylinders from each side of the V6 to feed the two turbos verse the inline 6 where it's using a sequential setup where a smaller faster spooling turbo is feeding a larger turbo. The two smaller turbos minimize the lag on the audi and give almost instant torque with a flat torque curve from 1850-5000 rpm. Probably a good thing for a rock crawler.

Anyways, more pics :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I actually signed up here so I could make use of all the writeups on the electronics stuff, radio and lights mostly..

We are hoping to have the truck running and tuned tommorow.

I will have pictures of the charge piping and all that jazz.. maybe even a dyno chart of forced induction goodness. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nester thank you for posting this. I guarantee an excellent reception from a lot of guys here if you wanted to go into production...
I agree, I was waiting for STS to come out with an FJ version of the Tacoma design.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts