Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know, I'm impatient, but it seems like an eternity since anyone from our group has posted anything in this section.

Its Wednsday and I was thinking of doing something this weekend. While the mountains are still sketchy, there are some low-lying places we could probably hit. (I tried hitting a road up near Parleys summit and only made it 100 yards or so and had to turn around due to almost getting stuck in the mud several times.)

Little Moab is doable and not too far away. 5 Mile pass is a bit closer and even though I've already been out there several times this year, I always love heading out there. :rocker:

I was looking at some aerials and it looks like you can drive from Little Moab to 5 mile pass by taking some back country trails. Has anyone done this before or is that private land out there?

Kalen

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I've been trying to get out all year.
I can never hit the group runs, but I've been able to venture up Smithfield canyon (short run) and Providence canyon until i was spinning all 4 wheels in the snow and decided to turn back.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Tibbs,

You and the Misses clearly have a good excuse for not joining in the fun. :)

As for the rest of you's, lets get out there before it gets too hot!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew you were set to be out of town this weekend as well Scott.

So anyone up for Little Moab? I know how to get there if anyone hasn't been there before. And the massive rock provides all you could want in obstacles and such. :)

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
If I can put in one more good long Saturday in my yard, the hardscape (boulders) will be done and I will subcontract trenches (do the sprinkler system myself in a week after work) and then subcontract the final grading and hydro-seed or sod or whatever I can afford. The sooner I get my chores done the sooner my mommy will let me come out and play.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Hey guys, just got back from a one day trail run/weekend in Moab. Was invited by a fun group of 4runner guys and JimD from here. We made an assault on Behind The Rocks. For now I'll just say I'm glad I got out with only very minor and acceptable damage. What a trail, very difficult and dangerous but I'll tell all in a post tonight in the Trail Reports thread. Hope you all got out in the beautiful weather. I'm planing a day trip for us weekend after this one for the 14th or 15th. I'll make a post for that too in our Regional Forum. Talk to you all later.

Scott/Rat

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott,

I've read the reports and seen the pics and vids at Trail Damage...that looks like a very mean trail. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and comments as well as a report on the carnage. :)

I also read in another forum where some people were able to drive pretty far deep into the American Fork Canyon area until they were stopped by snow. I had no clue how many trails were up there including a tough one to Pittsburg Lake with some big waterfall steps to negotiate.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Scott,

I've read the reports and seen the pics and vids at Trail Damage...that looks like a very mean trail. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and comments as well as a report on the carnage. :)

I also read in another forum where some people were able to drive pretty far deep into the American Fork Canyon area until they were stopped by snow. I had no clue how many trails were up there including a tough one to Pittsburg Lake with some big waterfall steps to negotiate.
Pittsburg lake is a sad story. It used to be one of the best Northern Utah runs and was closed because of stupidity. It was abused and trashed once too often and permanantly closed. U4WDA has been working hard up American Fork to keep that from happening to our other trails. Some idiots think tearing up the tundra is four wheeling. There seems to always be a beer, bonfire, and pickup truck crowd up there. Hope we can outwork them. Here's a good link to shots and description of the ol' trail last year

Pittsburgh Lake 09-14-07 - Utah's Rock Crawling and Off-Road Forum

scott

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have heard of a trail that runs over to tooele (however it is spelled) that has a view of the mine. but I imagine its probably snowed in still but looks like it may be somewhat clear looking across the valley I forgot the name of it, but may be to much for a stocker like mine

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott,

Looks like a fantastic and tough run....too bad the holligans couldn't keep to the trail to keep it open for everyone.

AJ,

I drove that road last summer and its not bad at all. We saw some cars on the road, even though they probably struggled in a few spots. I drove it in my previous rig, a ford explorer, and had no trouble getting up there. The view of the mine is fantastic and its a neat little diversion over to that side of the valley. The road is still likely closed to snow, but in another couple of weeks we'll go do it.

If you keep going to the other side of that first mountain range, there looked to be some interesting side trails you could take off the main road which would require some actual 4 wheel driving.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I am in for a run up AF Canyon as soon as the snow clears. Even the during the week is good...especially Tuesday evening as I can bring my Son. I live right near the mouth of this canyon so I would volunteer for BBQ, etc.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am in for a run up AF Canyon as soon as the snow clears. Even the during the week is good...especially Tuesday evening as I can bring my Son. I live right near the mouth of this canyon so I would volunteer for BBQ, etc.
Delray,

Has enough snow cleared where you can still access most of the trails up there or is it still packed in pretty good? I would totally be up for going even if it was just a "let see how far we can make it" kind of deal.

But I wouldn't want to do this alone for obvious, getting stuck kind of reasons. :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I went up exploring above the Heber Valley up into the Wasatch Range to see what the trails are like and to see what the snow situation is like on the trails to AF Canyon.

The lower trails were fine, but once you get above +/- 8600' there is snow on the trails that are not getting Sun exposure.

Found a couple of new trails in the areas around Little Deer Creek Campground that are nice.

Here are a few pics I took:

Backside of the Timpinogos<sp>...

The sign at the split where you can either go to Midway or to AF canyon...I love the disclaimer "Hazardous for Cars"....

...and about a 1/4 mile from that sign heading to AF Canyon I ran in to this...

Looks like it might be a few more weeks(if the weather warms up) before the pass opens up for travel.

So I turned around and went out the way to Snake Creek Canyon above Midway. I was almost to the end...busting through snowbanks when I came to one that was still about 4' deep and a huge tree had fallen into the middle blocking the road anyway...thus I had to turn around and go back the way I came.

However, the day wasn't ruined I was able to catch a few, albeit on the small side, Cutthroat trout out of the creek.

I'm not sure what the Western side of AF Canyon is looking like but trying to get there from the Eastern side will not happen for a few weeks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet. I'm thinking about going up the west side of American Fork canyon tommorow so I'll see how far I can go.

I drove out to the Copper Pit Lookout last night after work. I almost made it to the top but was foiled by a massive snow bank. Took a few pics from near the top....the views are outstanding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts