Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Anybody Have URD MAF Sensor Calibrator?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sapper 
#1 ·
Does anybody have one of these installed on their FJ and how do you like it? I bought a used Unichip from a guy but after I payed he is asking for more money so it looks like that deal fell through. After rereading through some stuff it looks like URD might be the way to go. Just looking for some reviews of it or anything else I should know before buying one. It looks like this is a favorite among Tacoma owners.

#2 ·
I looked into it myself. It seems if you buy one by itself it is cheaper than the unichip. But then you have to buy other equipment and tune it yourself. Then the price savings disappear. And if you don't know what you're doing, you can mess your rig up pretty bad. If you know what you're doing and want to experiment with different maps as you add mods, then it's probably the way to go.

#3 · (Edited)
Well you dont have to tune it, you can just use their basemap, just like you can with the Unichip. If you do buy the extra tuning stuff it is about the same price as the Unichip, or you can have a shop tune it for you so you dont have to buy anything else. It would be nice to tune everytime you ad another mod on though. And of course the Unichip should really be tuned to your truck which makes that cost a lot more. I read a lot about the URD today on Tacoma forums and tuning seems like something I can do and would enjoy doing. I am surprised it isnt a more popular mod for FJs after all the Tacomas I saw with the calibrator.

#4 ·
I installed it along with the URD header and a Magnaflow muffler all about the same time. I keep track of every fill, but the variation in weather, etc make it hard to compare. I have TRD supercharger and Cold Air Intake. What I noticed after the install was when coasting the mileage would show(on the Scangauge II) upwards to 100 mpg. Before it would only register 30-40 mpg. I just put on 2500 miles going to Cruise Moab and back, and averaged over 18 mpg even counting trail mileage. I was driving 75 mph, but had no head winds, which make a large difference in mileage.

#6 ·
I got the MAF calibrator coming. It might be awhile because I am waiting to find a used wideband O2 sensor cheap on ebay. Buying used or at a discount should keep my project total around $400 with the MAF calibrator, O2 sensor, and scan tool, still way cheaper than a Unichip. I am borrowing my brothers laptop for this though, so if you dont have one or cant borrow one, that will make the price much more.

If anybody has any questions on this search the 4.0L Tacoma forum at Toyota Nation. There is more than enough info there. After reading everything I have a good understanding of it all and the tuning seems fairly simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.