Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big fan or Australian 4wds and have been looking around for a while to find an example of an FJ with barwork connecting bumper to slider to protect wheel well and add a Hi-Jack use case.

I know it would have to be a custom job, but wanted to check with the community to see if anyone has seen it done before, or had any recommendations for fab shops in the Austin Texas and surrounding areas.

Plan to have ARB deluxe bumper and sliders if that's any help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been closely looking for the same. I've got the road armor titan bumper and ap sliders been thinking of building it myself just got to figure out how to strengthen in and out movement

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
There is a member here who has done it....actually i believe he built a complete exoskeleton.

Only problem is......i can't remeber the name.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Soon as my rear bumpers done my welders putting tube fenders on. You'll see them on brush trucks a lot. If you do a lot of tight woods trails they're nice for rubbing on trees. If you weld it from your bumper to sliders like I am you can support the weight of your vehicle. A common mistake I see people make is not leaving enough space between the fender and the tube. Even a few inches can still contact with body flex.
20200711_152555.jpg

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I feel that if you were to hit something with that set up it would bend the hell out of everything that are connected. You see wrecks with FJs with brush guards and those brush guards do a lot more damage to the FJ than if the FJ didn't have the guard to begin with :) JMO

·
Registered
296 Posts
I feel that if you were to hit something with that set up it would bend the hell out of everything that are connected.
1.25 dom and the chintzy brush guards are on two different planes. That's comparing apple trees to applesauce. I know tube steel will bend a box frame before it gives. If you're planning on that putting that much side load on your bars then you should consider a cage. In my opinion I would much rather bend a slider bumper or tube fender before I harm any body member.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been closely looking for the same. I've got the road armor titan bumper and ap sliders been thinking of building it myself just got to figure out how to strengthen in and out movement

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I still dont even have aftermarket bumpers/sliders yet..... lol. Definintely planning on getting them before the end of the year. Just curious to me why it has been so hard to find any examples of it being done. I have only seen 2 really and only 1 in the USA. I am a big fan of Australian style builds so i see a lot of that kind of barwork. 4wd action on YouTube is really cool.

Spoke with a friend who does Body work and collision repair. He told me that it wouldnt be that bad to fab up. Said he could do it but it isnt his forte. Whoever he reccomends ill be sure to link to this post for sure. Glad im not the only one that wants this

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
162 Posts
Would it be possible to design them so in the event of a major impact the bolts or brackets would break away not causing any major damage?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
"Would it be possible to design them so in the event of a major impact the bolts or brackets would break away not causing any major damage?"

Two possibilities:
1) partially saw through each of the fasteners so they'll break under load - concern is how much and when? Since every impact is a combination of unpredictable inputs, it would require you to be VERY lucky to get it right so they work as intended and not as unintended. Most likely, they'd either break and fail so the bars wouldn't do you any good in a fire road tree swipe, or they'd fail to break during some traffic accident and when they bend they'd screw up all your body panels anyway.
2) drill a small hole down the center of each fastener, install some explosive and pack in squibs. Wire the whole thing into the airbag system so they'd all blow at once, like the Blue's Brothers car in Daly Plaza.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts