Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
While i think this would be sweet, i don't think a V8 in the FJ is needed. The supercharger delivers a good deal of power.

But, i agree, it would be nice to see a V8 swap!!!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It would be even better if they could shove the 5.7L in the FJ, but honestly it isn't needed......but would be pretty SWEET!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
325 Posts
It already seems like half the FJ lovers are jumping ship due to the 17 - 21 MPG they are getting. A V8 would push them right over the edge, but it would be a nice aftermarket upgrade or possibly an option through Toyota in the future.

A Hybrid FJC might make a better selling point these days though! :thinkerg:

·
Registered
734 Posts
toyota always lags behind everyone in terms of power and displacement.. nissan is the way to go for more powah and toyo for dependability.. we can't seem to have both :(

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
A Hybrid FJC might make a better selling point these days though! :thinkerg:
While this would certainly make for an improvement in fuel economy, there is still the question of durability and reliability. Sure, Priusi (Prius'? Priuses?) are doing pretty good so far, but AFIK nobody has tested a mass production hybrid system in the kind of environment an FJ will see. I for one think modern vehicles are complicated enough when it comes to making trail fixes if something goes wrong out in the boonies. Throwing a hybrid drive system in the mix is simply asking for trouble. Its a truck man, its not meant to get good fuel economy.

toyota always lags behind everyone in terms of power and displacement.. nissan is the way to go for more powah and toyo for dependability.. we can't seem to have both :(
Nissan 5.6L V8 - 317 HP, 318 LB-FT TQ.
Toyota 5.7L V8 - 381 HP, 401 LB-FT TQ.
Granted Nissan did get their heads out of their collective you-know-whats and build a real, competitive full-size first, but when the new Tundra came out it blew everything out of the water. Gotta give them credit for doing it right; its just too bad it took them three tries to do it. (T100, 1st gen Tundra, BIG Tundra)

As for putting the 4.7L in the FJ Cruiser, i think its a great idea as an option. it will hurt fuel economy, sure, but its the best compromise you are going to get between power and efficiency. It sells pretty well in the 4runner, which rides on a VERY similar chassis so i would think this would be a no-brainer. It would also be a great marketing point to be able to trump the Wrangler, H3, and Xterra in the power department.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont believe anyone who owns an FJ bought it for gas mileage! I personally bought mine for the go ANYWHERE factor (with a side of reliablity), which for the most part it does. And yes, a supercharger would probably suffice, but a supercharged 4.7 would be better:lol: Even better than that would be the 5.7 NA! ...... or SUPERCHARGED:rocker: But....beggars cant be choosers :mecry:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Soooooo...

my buddy owns novak. He makes the drive train stuff that marries the big motors to the jeeps. Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

If you read some of the misconceptions about dumping a monster motor in your obscenely underpowered jeep, it mentions that you will not always see a dip in MPG. In fact, often with jeeps the conversions pay for themselves quickly because the motor doesn't have to work as hard and burn so much fuel. The R&D for a new Jeep generally is about a year behind when the Jeep comes out, and they haven't done a Toyota anything in a while. But we have had conversation that included just such a topic as this thread brings up. Anybody willing to part with their FJ for a long stretch (Probably at least a few months) and buy a new Motor that may or may not fit/work with the FJ electronics? I don't have anything else to drive right now, or I'd be up for it.

Edit: Also we'd have to talk him into it a little, but I did see his eyes light up a little at the thought of it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nissan 5.6L V8 - 317 HP, 318 LB-FT TQ.
Toyota 5.7L V8 - 381 HP, 401 LB-FT TQ.
Granted Nissan did get their heads out of their collective you-know-whats and build a real, competitive full-size first, but when the new Tundra came out it blew everything out of the water. Gotta give them credit for doing it right; its just too bad it took them three tries to do it. (T100, 1st gen Tundra, BIG Tundra)
i agree that tundra blows away in quality and power over Titan... but it pretty much stops at tundra, though.. toyo's entire line up lags behind nissan, almost, in terms of power.

fj is more comparable with the armada.
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected]
Torque @ RPM [email protected] (foot-lbs)

FJ
Horsepower @ RPM
[email protected]
Torque @ RPM
[email protected] (foot-lbs)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm really glad this has come about. This is the equivalent to putting Chevy 350 in old Land Cruisers.

Now I can rest knowing that 20 years from I can put a rebuilt 4.7 V8 in to my old FJC and continue to beat the crap out of it.

I'm sure by then it will no longer be a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Might be a correlation between the two [power and reliability] ;)

The only advantage I see with the 4.7 V8 would be for towing...or hauling around all the extra armor bolted on these days!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hmmm am I the only one that doesn't think the 4.7 swap is beneficial? (and I LOVE V-8's)

4.0L V-6:
239hp @ 5,200rpm
278 lb·ft @ 3700 rpm

4.0l V-6 Supercharged:
304hp @5,400 rpm
334 ft-lbs @3,600 rpm

4.7L V-8:
271hp at 4800 rpm
315ft-lbs 3400 rpm

Engine swap by my estimate is going to be near 10,000 parts and labor
Supercharger, 4,700 installed. Less weight pulls strong from 2,000 rpm till you lift.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uummm.....you forgot something......

4.7L V-8 Supercharged
[email protected]
457 ft-lbs 3400RPM

Engine swap by my estimate = NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT! :bigthumb:

Lord save us all if somebody manages to jam the 5.7 in an FJ, and that's an N/A 5.7! Forget about supercharging that beast! Can anyone say 450+ HP and 525+TQ? I CAN. :rocker:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Orion I'm all over it. Now running 7psi URD boost, straight exhaust, no cats, Y-pipe, Doug Thorleys, 4.56 ... I can tell the little 4-liter is saying "uh..., you want me to do this all day? Not sure about that."

My pal Brian Trager at URD has the 5.7 Tundra, and yes it is smoooth and fast. They are putting a prototype TRD 4-lobe blower in that thing this weekend that would be good for 500 hp, so there are still some crazies out there.

But then notice that production of the Tundra, Sequoia and Highlander are suspended until September.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Suspended??!! So your saying that there should be plenty of extra motors, tranny's and ecu's available since there not gonna be in any new Tundra's, Sequoia's and Highlander's? Sounds good. When do we start? Seriously, I've read that you have one of the boss FJ's on here so I expect that you may be one of the first to make something like this happen. "If you build it, they will come." I mean if you build a kit, I will buy it! :lol: Im gonna start saving my $$$ now that way by the time a kit like this gets assembled Ill have a spare 8 grand or better to make this happen!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Another thing to consider is when you keep messing with the original configuration of the FJ you reduce the reliability of the vehicle as a whole. That is compounded further with non tested or experimental setups.

My recommendation is that if you travel more than 50 miles from a mechanic you should keep the original engine. Put a tried and tested setup like the supercharger on and keep the reliability.

This is the reason I opted not to be the testbed for the D4D swap. I need the reliability and would rather spend time on the trail as opposed to stopped on the side of it.

Just my $.02,

-Ben

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Possibly a good point, OR......you use a reliable Toyota powerplant (a larger one) and mate it with the tranny its supposed to be mated with (like the one in the FJ) and then purchase an ecu, work out the kinks, and then you have a reliable vehicle with enough horsepower to pull you and your buddy out of, or over anything mother earth can dish out!! (check out American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) - Custom Jeep Conversions & Specialty Aftermarket Parts) Just my .02 cents :bigthumb: I will agree though that it will be a majorly time consuming evolution that would be a work in progress for a long time. But when its finished.....LOOK OUT! :cheers: :armed:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another thing to consider is when you keep messing with the original configuration of the FJ you reduce the reliability of the vehicle as a whole. That is compounded further with non tested or experimental setups.

My recommendation is that if you travel more than 50 miles from a mechanic you should keep the original engine. Put a tried and tested setup like the supercharger on and keep the reliability.

This is the reason I opted not to be the testbed for the D4D swap. I need the reliability and would rather spend time on the trail as opposed to stopped on the side of it.

Just my $.02,

-Ben
Anyone who is going to spend the cash to do an engine swap on a vehicle that is going to roughly 2 years old (or newer) is probably not too concerned about additional cost. They'll have money to burn or will be spending money they don't have. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Besides the obvious answers..."because I can", "because it'd haul arse"...etc, what can't you do in your FJ with the very well designed and purposefully 4.0ltr that you will be able to do with a 4.7 or bigger? I don't get it, the FJ crawls rocks all day (slooooow speeds), is becoming a very competitive desert racer (faaaaast) and your not likely to buy an FJ for hauling so why more displacement?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im about to move back to New Mexico in 6 months and if your familiar with the term, Im interested in "desert running"! Basically baja style stuff but without the actual racing part, just hauling A$$ out in the dirt and dunes. :rocker: While the 4.0 is repectable (especially supercharged) the 4.7 would be a litte more well suited for what Im interested in. Furthermore, the 4.0 will never sound as ferocious as a 4.7! :rawr: I would like to have the best of both worlds, go fast with a side of go anywhere! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts