Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bringing back this old thread. Can anyone else comment on the Certificate for Replacement and their experience or opinion?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
do it i have used it several times. i had a tire cut from a piece of metal on the highway. six days later at overland expo in flag staff had a 4" screw sideways in the new tire separated the belts. 2 tires in six days. 285 75R-16's are not cheep.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
You better put the local tire shop on your contact list and stay within walking distance to town now.

·
Vendor
2,543 Posts
Thank you for all the awesome comments. You made my day. I work at Discount Tire and buy them as well. I had a brand new trailer tire on my toyhauler last year and the first trip dry camping in the desert with them I put a stick through the sidewall, glad I had the Certificates.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Trying to decide... they want $80 for them. In 17 years of wheeling I have only lost one tire.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I blew out a tire at summit this year and when asked I just told them I hit a rock. The look they gave told me they knew what I was doing but replaced it without a hassle.

·
Vendor
2,543 Posts
Discount Tire came through for me when I slashed a tire on a trail in the Tahoe area.
Called them, they moved a tire to the Reno shop, only took 2 hours out of our vacation for the side track and install done on certificate.

The best customer service I have experienced.
I blew out a tire at summit this year and when asked I just told them I hit a rock. The look they gave told me they knew what I was doing but replaced it without a hassle.
Thank you for your support. We appreciate you sharing your experience.

A couple of years ago at the FJ Summit, my passenger and I changed a tire for someone on every trail we were on. The one on Black Bear was a bit of a bear, just past the waterfall at the top before the first switchback. The driver was hugging the driver's side wall which I don't blame him, but he sliced about a 4-inch gash in the sidewall. My Passenger was from a store in CO and called the closest Manager from the trail and the Manager said he would wait till he arrived as it was late.

Thank you for your support. Love the Summit Event. :grin

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I just purchased some new tires from Discount Tire WITH CERTIFICATES!!! WORTH EVERY PENNY! My son blew out his tire on his 4 Runner... ZERO HASSLES. LOVE THIS SHOP!

·
Registered
345 Posts
A couple of years ago at the FJ Summit, my passenger and I changed a tire for someone on every trail we were on. The one on Black Bear was a bit of a bear, just past the waterfall at the top before the first switchback. The driver was hugging the driver's side wall which I don't blame him, but he sliced about a 4-inch gash in the sidewall.
Was that me?? It may have been me. And if it wasn't, the same thing happened to me at Summit XI.

The only thing it cost me was a missed Imogene run and a trip to Discount Tire in Durango. Those guys had an extra Duratrac the size I needed, so I dropped off my busted spare with them. Before I could even finish my beer at Ska Brewing just up the road, I had a brand new one mounted and balanced for $0.00.

I have the certificates for all 3 trucks (14 tires total) and relied on them more than once (saved me $500+!).
Absolutely worth the extra cash for peace of mind.

·
Vendor
2,543 Posts
It may have been you, I lost track we changed so many that trip. Thank you for your business. Glad to hear the guys fixed you up so quick.

It's always a bonus when you can get an expensive tire Free.

Here is one of my favorite shots from Black Bear:

Here is just before the flat:

Love the Summit- They don't call it the Switzerland of the United States for nothing.

·
Vendor
2,543 Posts
@Discount Tire I guess it wasn't me, the group doesn't look familiar. It was also raining when I sliced my sidewall on Black Bear... making that tire change all the more fun!

Oh yes! I've changed many of tires in the rain and it does make it more "interesting". Glad to see you had support from the group.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts