Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont get me wrong, I love my FJ but the damn fuel prices are killing me! I'm spending about 500 a month on gas which when I think about it, that money could be spent in better ways.

So lately I have been thinking about some more fuel efficient cars. The mini cooper s comes to mind. I dont want something ssslllooowww like the prius but something with a little umphh to keep me entertained. I want to trade or sell my FJ so a car less than $25k is a must.

Anyone in the same boat or can recommend another good fun driving car for me to look at?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I never seriously considered fuel mileage when I bought the FJ. I was glad that it got great mileage for a 4x4. However maybe a motorcycle would work for you if you are commuting in traffic and need great economy.

Buy used, you're in it $3-4K and you're all set at 50 MPG.:cheers:

·
Registered
130 Posts
$500 a month? How many miles do you drive each month?

I traded in my 1.8L turbo Audi A4 on this FJ and my gas USAGE went up about 4 gallons a week, or ~16 gallons a month. Which is one extra trip to the gas station a month for me. Now I used premium in my A4 since I had a GIAC ECU chip in it and the turbo charged engine performed *much* better with premium. I tried premium in my FJ for a tank and didn't notice as much of a benefit, so I have used 87 octane in my FJ ever since. The difference in price between 87 and 92 makes the difference in fuel economy a little easier to swallow for me.

However, this difference is very much dependent on your mileage. For me and my driving, the difference is only about one fillup per month. Since I was moving to a bigger vehicle since I needed a little more room, I wasn't going to get any better fuel economy than what my old A4 used to get. IMO, the FJ is well within "reasonable" fuel economy... I average about 18 mpg. I can get 19-20mpg if I am real easy on the right pedal.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I never seriously considered fuel mileage when I bought the FJ. I was glad that it got great mileage for a 4x4. However maybe a motorcycle would work for you if you are commuting in traffic and need great economy.

x2!! I did not consider the gas mileage when I bought my CG! He has his forever home here. I too drive ALOT with my job and I just really appreciate the fact that my FJ has my back, takes care of me while my hubby is not in the truck with me, and just makes me feel VERY confident in myself.

Yes, I do spend as much as you to put gas in my rig and change the oil (synthetic) every 3k miles. I just think that he is worth it and by the way..... I enjoy all the questions and looks (lots of looks) that my FJ gets!!!! It pays the bills, dude!

Kim:rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I went from an Acura TL to my FJ and the fuel economy is a concern because with less than a years ownership I have over 25K on my rig. I go through 2-3 tanks of gas per week and hate the price of gas but it is what it is. I have started driving a bit slower and watching my scangague more closely. The fact is I want to enjoy what I drive because that is where I spend most of my time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
mini cooper S is 30+

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
im not trading, but to make up for high fuel im not driving around on my lunch, im brown baggin 4 out of 5 days, i waited to long to get the fj and i love it , not ready to give it up

·
Registered
143 Posts
Since my wife and I carpool it is like we get double the mileage! :lol:

Seriously though, we only put about 10,000 miles a year on each of our vehicles. For us, the difference in gas money between the Subaru Outback we were driving and the FJ is less than $1,000 per year -- even at $4.00 per gallon. We knew this when we purchased the FJ about a month ago. We will not be trading anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you ditch the FJ but want something fun in the 25K or less bracket...here you go:

Subaru WRX (new or slightly used)
Mini Cooper S (I think you could find one in your range)
3 Series BMW (used...obviously)
Honda Fit Sport (not fast but still pretty fun in the cheap category)
Miata (anything from 1994 on is a hoot and reliable...a turbo model - factory or aftermarket - is even better...don't laugh...go drive one)
Honda S2000 (used)
Anything Honda usually handles well
Mazdaspeed 3 (you might find a heck of a deal on one of these)
Any Motorcycle

I know there is more...just have to go look at EVERYTHING. Decide what you really need and weigh it with what you really want! With more emphasis on want. :) Good luck out there.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Nope! Never! I'd buy a cheap smaller beater Toyota, Nissan, or Honda that gets 30+ mpg and keep the FJ.
IMO I'd keep the FJ for weekends/fun and go with the bike if you're single, or listen to Crotalus if you're rocking the kids!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nope! Never! I'd buy a cheap smaller beater Toyota, Nissan, or Honda that gets 30+ mpg and keep the FJ.
x2. Buy a used 3-4k Honda Accord beater to drive to work and back and keep the FJ for weekends and off-roading. We have a diesel Jeep Liberty and even through diesel is $4+ a gallon, we have not considered ditching it. At the end of the day, it still gets 25+ MPG and better fuel economy than most on the road, has warranty and is 4x4.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i just made a thread about what to do with gas prices, i dont want to trade it its probably going to take 5.00 a gallon for me to trade and then if i trade its going to be for a new prius because if it gets that high 16 mpg to 25 is really not a big deal but 16-47 is huge. But i hope that day doesnt come i will be sad. Because i really enjoy this rig. Or you could buy a bike i was thinking about trying to learn it would save me a ton of money and i wouldnt have to trade the fj if im getting 50mpg on a bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Scion Tc. The daily driver. Fun, speedy, 30mpg. 17K. Toyota

You will miss it when it's gone......:mecry:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I will deal with the gas prices and keep my FJ
I would love a new Mustang Shelby, but I can not have anything small or fast as I would surely lose my license
I have almost always driven a 4x4 as it keeps me under 75MPH on the highway. If I had one of those Mustangs it would be hard for me to keep from rippin' around all the time.

I like to drive fast if I am in something like that, but that is usually not a good idea. I know that I can not control my right foot so I do not put myself in that position by owning something like that. I was in Arizona a few months ago and just got a photo ticket in the mail for doing 90MPH at 2AM in that damn Caddy CTS I rented (by the way, How do I get out of that ticket)

I use my FJ for work and play
If i don't have a bunch of computers and network kind of stuff in the back I usually have a fishing pole and beach gear. Ya can't fish from the beach in a Shelby!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love mine as much as I did the day I got it! I traded in a Dodge Dakota that got about 12 mpg to get my FJ, so compared to that POS I'm happy!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I've been seriously looking into a DS dirtbike or a scooter for a few months now. The fuel costs are killing me since the FJ is my daily driver, but luckily i don't drive that much.

The bike would take me to work doing the day and class at night. Probably take me a week to get through a gallon at 50mpg.

The FJ will be in my possession until it's a pile of rust in the backyard.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts