Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the 2.5/1.5 daystar spacer lift on my 2010 and after new 18 x 9 wheels and 295 65 18 tires, I took it to get aligned....that was DAYS ago. Long story short, the shop that has done a lot of work for me in the past, called and said they cannot get the drivers side front caster even close to spec. The closest they can get is around negative 0.5.

They had 3 different techs working on it past closing hours today and they insist that I need new UCA's to get the alignment correct. I thought the whole purpose of a mild 2.5 spacer was to keep stock UCAs and ride quality. Im super pissed and lost as to what the next step is. Any ideas????

·
Registered
353 Posts
If the spacer lift req'd removing the coils to install..... THROW IT AWAY. If the spacer is "on top" of the strut assembly make sure you extend the bump-stops so the a-arms bottom out before the shock does.

90% of the struts you see with broken bottom mounts have spacer lifts and no extension for the bump stop.... Daystar didn't tell you their kit was for mall use only did they???? Here's a link to a Tundra kit that explains the spacer kits and bump-stops a bit... LRT 2007-2010 3" Leveling / Lift Kit for Toyota Tundra read the section highlighted in grey 1/2 way down the page.....

I've had my 2011 FJ for 2 weeks and it's still stock. On the other hand my previous rig (2006 TRD Prerunner) went thru many suspension changes and the one thing I learned is anything over 2" and you need upper control arms in order to align it correctly....

IMHO if I were you I'd ditch the spacers and save my nickles for upper arms and and OME kit.......

Reactions: Bar3K

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you know how much to extend the bump stops after installing the daystar lift kit? I have the broken strut and a story of several hors extracting myself on the bump stop after learning the hard way that the kit must be accompanied with bump stop modification. I just don't know what the extension length is to get it to hit the bump stop vs. the strut.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
^^^^ If the strut spacer is 1-1/4 inches thick your bump stop spacer should equal this thickness. OP you should be able to get your alignment within spec numbers if your lift is only a "Net" height gain of 2.5 inches. I did with my old lift and hundreds of others are running W/O upper control arms.
Are they telling you they got the passenger side within spec but not drivers. Has your FJ ever been involved in a front end accident. If not it should work , if they keep spending labour on this you may just as well get the upper arms.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Chances are you won't get the caster in spec without UCAs anyway. Not a huge deal since caster won't eat tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts