Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base FJ because the Upgrade Package was not being made for MT '11 FJs when I bought mine.

I can buy the upgrade package leather-wrapped steering wheel for $800 or so, but has anyone else ever done this? Is it straightforward or are the associated wire harnesses different between the two?

Both wheels have audio controls, and so the only apparent difference is the leather wrap on the upgrade wheel.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a base FJ because the Upgrade Package was not being made for MT '11 FJs when I bought mine.

I can buy the upgrade package leather-wrapped steering wheel for $800 or so, but has anyone else ever done this? Is it straightforward or are the associated wire harnesses different between the two?

Both wheels have audio controls, and so the only apparent difference is the leather wrap on the upgrade wheel.
Cant say I have ever heard anybody do anything like that....

Anybody done this?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I'm in the process of upgrading my steering wheel. Just waiting for it to be delivered by UPS from B & I Trim Products in San Diego.

Dash Trim Kits made in Burlwood, Birdseye, Rosewood, Real Carbon Fiber, Brushed Aluminum, Blue Carbon Fiber, Red Carbon Fiber Carbon Fiber and more

The newly wrapped steering wheel will be in black leather and wood (Red Carbon Fiber - to follow the color scheme of my Black/Red Clazzio seat covers) combo. I think it will look like a Ferrari steering wheel finish from this url link;

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Wood Steering Wheels

Will take pics of the wrapped steering wheel I received it tomorrow and they will be posted.

The front panels are already covered with red carbon fiber.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This type of thing is done all the time with some vehicles; for example, many people upgrade the steering wheels of their Porsches with other factory steering wheels.

(At a steep price, too; a $850 optional steering wheel costs nearly $2000 to install after purchase. Yes, I know from experience. :(

But at the same time, it's one of the pieces of your vehicle you will touch every time you drive it and will appreciate the difference in feel.)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I'm in the process of upgrading my steering wheel. Just waiting for it to be delivered by UPS from B & I Trim Products in San Diego.

Dash Trim Kits made in Burlwood, Birdseye, Rosewood, Real Carbon Fiber, Brushed Aluminum, Blue Carbon Fiber, Red Carbon Fiber Carbon Fiber and more

The newly wrapped steering wheel will be in black leather and wood (Red Carbon Fiber - to follow the color scheme of my Black/Red Clazzio seat covers) combo. I think it will look like a Ferrari steering wheel finish from this url link;

Will take pics of the wrapped steering wheel I received it tomorrow and they will be posted.

The front panels are already covered with red carbon fiber.

I like the idea and the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Does anyone know how much it would cost to just get the "leather" replaced, my mom drove my car for ONE WEEK when we were in the process of getting my dads car and managed to put a scratch from her nails in the steering wheel. But its right at 2 o'clock so i feel it every time i drive

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Here are the pics of my newly wrapped steering wheel;

The combination turns out to be great. I'm satisfied with the quality of the material and workmanship. Better than what I have on my Sienna which was wrapped by American-Stitches.

Will install it tomorrow, I need to get longer M8 - 8x1.25 x 90mm bolts to work on my steering wheel puller.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
My newly wrapped steering wheel is installed.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
^ that steering wheel is amazing

so what exactly did you order? did you have to send in your steering wheel? is it something you did yourself? or did you have to go to an upholstery shop?
I bought another steering wheel core to be covered/wrapped.

Then I ordered through Carid.com ($339.99-free shipping, the Steering Wheel in Black Leather and Laminated wood (in Red Carbon Fider- DC3) combo.

Carid.com will ask you to sent your steering wheel core to B & I Trim Products (in San Diego). Turn around is about two weeks.

The (newly) wrapped steering wheel will be a little bit thicker.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if you will ever run out of mods to do:rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Sweet I was wondering how the Airbag would work without a OEM but looks like you just enlightened a bunch of us. Nice work great FJ too.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought another steering wheel core to be covered/wrapped.

I was wondering where you bought the extra leather steering wheel core and for how much? I just purchased a 2011 FJ with a standard steering wheel (no leather) and wanted to swap it out for a leather one if possible.

The only one I came up with online is a leather steering wheel from parts.com selling for over $611.81 at the moment.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not sure how the 2011 is set up, but the 2007-2010 had 2 different steering wheels.
Base - No leather & no radio controls
Upgraded - leather & radio controls
The problem I ran into was that the air bag for the base unit did not fit the upgraded wheel (due to the radio controls being separate)...so for me I will have to either buy the whole steering wheel assembly (wheel, airbag, radio controls) or remove like NDA431FJ did and send in to be professionally leather wrapped.
The steering wheel itself is not that expensive - it's the airbag the costs...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Why not buy the non-leather one for like 200 or less and wrap it completely? Im sure they wrap over the existing leather anyway?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts