Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has fitted just roof bars to the OE rack mounting points on the roof?

Or perhaps fitted bars to the RhinoRack backbone or similar?

I'm looking at whether I can mount a hardshell RTT to bars without having to bolt it to a rack (which is an expensive option when you then consider that the rack is totally covered by the RTT).

Info please on what and where you purchased.

This is my friends JB on Thule bars that I'm thinking of buying if I can mount it as flush to the roof as I possible.

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,155 Posts
Would be an awesome addition if you can fit it - GL! :blueblob:

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Baz, @darkhorse13 do you think the bars in the pic would bolt up to the backbone? I was also thinking maybe just some aluminium box section, from what I can see the backbone has single bolt points for the bars?

Did you mount your JB to the bars or just on the rack?

Attachments

·
11,300 Posts
There was one a few years back, round bar to an ARB Fit Kit with simple U bolts. If I remember correctly, the ARB bolt points are different than the RR's.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks Baz, @darkhorse13 do you think the bars in the pic would bolt up to the backbone? I was also thinking maybe just some aluminium box section, from what I can see the backbone has single bolt points for the bars?

Did you mount your JB to the bars or just on the rack?
Hey there, sorry but I don't see any bars in your last pic. Regardless, you can mount any type of cross bar you'd like to the RRBB. Correct, there are (3) single bolt mounting points per rail. The bolt holes are actually slot style and I used (2) M8 13mm bolts per slot to give you an idea of how big it is.

The post Baz referred to is the best I have at the moment. I never mounted the JB to this setup, only the AluCab. I went with the AluCab load bars because they fit the tent perfectly and they are super strong. If you want something that is ready to go out of the box with no modification I'd recommend the AluCab load bars for any tent setup with the RRBB.

I'd mount the tent directly to the load bars for simplicity, lowered height and ease of assembly. The install metal "straps" that come with tents like JB, CVT and Tepui should all be wide enough to straddle the AluCab load bars... I think :)

I've had zero issues with load bar deflection when we crawl into the tent and move around and zero issues with things ever coming loose.

John

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I just fitted a second rhino backbone/platform combo with a friend, and can confirm that 3 flat bars will certainly work as that's what is essentially built into the platform we just assembled.

With the right hardware to match the bar I believe you could mount just about any set of three bars to the backbone.

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
65 Posts
I'm looking for three low profile crossbar for my backbone set up, are AluCab load bars the way to go? I was thinking about front runner bars but I don't know what size to order and they didn't want to sell me that r help because it was rhino rack

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hello,

I have installed my tent on the bars. I use to have my James Baroud on the platform and backbone system , but got rid of platform and moved to the crossbars. Eventually bought Alucab and there are no issues.

Alucab bars are great, but you can install front runner bars too. Frontrunner are little cheaper, little lower and they fit perfect too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
65 Posts
Hello,

I have installed my tent on the bars. I use to have my James Baroud on the platform and backbone system , but got rid of platform and moved to the crossbars. Eventually bought Alucab and there are no issues.

Alucab bars are great, but you can install front runner bars too. Frontrunner are little cheaper, little lower and they fit perfect too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome setup... I’m jealous of the tent setup. I cant afford that At The Moment. Thanks for your reply. I think I’m gonna go front runner 1425 setup so I keep my clearance low enough to keep it in the garage. Vegas heat is to much to park it outside during summer

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I already have the rhino backbone installed.
I should have looked at the date of the original post. I was responding to OP ZerosFJ, but now it makes sense with the date.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts