Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently installed a gobi stealth and have noticed an increase in gas mileage. About 1mpg in city and close to 2 highway. It doesn't make sense, I expected a decrease.
I mounted the wind guard with a bend so its rounded. Not sure if that attributed at all

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Frankly, I'd be AMAZED if adding a rack increased fuel mileage. There is some other mystery at work here.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I bet you he has a bunch of stickers...they always add to my MPG and HP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea why. But for the first time ever, I seen 18.6mpg hwy and 16.5 city.
I usually get low 15's city and high 16's to low 17 hwy.
no stickers though :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
For me no change really. I still get 18 average or so.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me either. :thinkerg: Something else is in play here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya. I drive the same. Im baffled

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
It's a fluke without a doubt.

There are things that could come into play such as winter vs summer blend fuel, temp (which affects air density), routes driven, and heaviness of foot. I suspect the last two are the culprits whether or not you want to admit it. :lookaround: :lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
On a rec ient mythbuster episode they put golfball dents using clay on a car and it got better gas milage it disturbs the air makeing it easer to go through

·
Registered
717 Posts
I pretty much get about 18mpg on the highway including heading up into the mountains, now if I slow down I could get 20 but I prefer just to get there.

I'm wagering that once I go to a bigger tire, I'll see some decrease in gas mileage

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, if the factory rack was replaced by the stealth, I can see where it would drop. If you went from bare roof to stealth, it could only be from smoother airflow over the windshield and roof....

I've always wondered about deflecting more air from the windshield and over the roof. There's got to be a way to do it and increase mpg's. (thinking 18 wheeler style)

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
You might have gotten some pure gas without the normal 10% ethanol in it. That would definitely give you at least that much gain. Or if you just got some 5% ethanol mix you might get there.
'tis true. I try to avoid any ethanol blend pumps but is is difficult when driving across Missouri and Kansas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts