Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has had issues with OME 886 being too stiff for decent articulation on trails? I read in another post where someone had stated this, but I was under the impression that 886s were necessary if you were going to run a heavy bumper/winch combo? I am currently running the OME Medium duty springs, and i have a bumper/winch combo that i need to install. I was waiting to get the 886 springs first, but now i am confused. :confused:

What do you all think?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Put the bumper/winch on first, and see how you like it. No since in doing extra work.

I still have over 3" of lift with All Pro bumper and winch(steel line) on 884s.
I will move up to 885s after I add a second battery and full skids.

on edit: meant 885 ^

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
What bumper/winch combo? It would have to be pretty dang heavy to need the heavy duty springs. I second Alton, put the bumper/winch on and then decide. You may be happy with it. It will most likely just smooth out the ride in the front a little bit. If you get a lot of brake dive, then you may want to go to a heavier coil, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has had issues with OME 886 being too stiff for decent articulation on trails? I read in another post where someone had stated this, but I was under the impression that 886s were necessary if you were going to run a heavy bumper/winch combo? I am currently running the OME Medium duty springs, and i have a bumper/winch combo that i need to install. I was waiting to get the 886 springs first, but now i am confused. :confused:

What do you all think?
I love them, I wouldn't give them up for a set of 885's, even if they gave me SOLID GOLD '85's! :rocker:

One note though... They were DEFINITELY too stiff before I put the winch and bumper on. I wouldn't go heavy without having the extra weight up there.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I'm running heavies with Bud's skids and ARB bumper. (No winch yet but that's coming soon.)
I like the firm ride. I like that when I am on a decent, the nose doesn't dive. Left-foot braking helps keep the truck steady on bumpy trails.

The Trail Team trucks had the ARB bumper with no lift at all the first year. The front of the truck visibly drooped and the nose would dive when we hit bumps.
The next year we installed a spacer lift. All that did was to lift the body. It didn't help the droop that much with the ARB bumper.

You'll have to try the mediums first and see for yourself.

**Before you make any changes, though, take a tape measure and take before and after measurements on the height of your truck. Then you can see for yourself if the mediums are adequate.

M

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an Expedition One Trail Series Bull Bar bumper (Courtesy of CRED) and a Warn M8000 winch. I want to change the steel line for Synthetic which should shed roughly 20-30lbs. but i dont see that happening soon. $$$.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the 886's w/o the bumper or winch and stock skids. I honestly don't think its that rough, although I got the 886's with the intent of getting a superwinch and ARB bumper. That weight will soften out the front, but as of right now, its not the least bit bothersome. I say go for the 886's just to know you've got the stiffest and most robust item before you go through the work of attaching the bumper/winch.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I have the 886's w/o the bumper or winch and stock skids. I honestly don't think its that rough, although I got the 886's with the intent of getting a superwinch and ARB bumper. That weight will soften out the front, but as of right now, its not the least bit bothersome. I say go for the 886's just to know you've got the stiffest and most robust item before you go through the work of attaching the bumper/winch.

Cheers!
I found that the difference a little weight makes helps to keep the front from 'skipping', if that makes sense. I love the ride with the heavies. But I've ridden in Dragon's truck with the mediums and it's a little smoother.

I guess it really all just comes down to what kind of ride you prefer. When I'm in the mood to ride in a marshmallow, I just hop in my Highlander. :)

M

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
If you call ARB they will advise you to not use the Med or Heavy coils without weight already on the front. The 886 will not allow proper alignment and will give you lousy flex and a stiff ride without at least 170lbs additional weight; Don (Tjsilverfj) had 886s for 2 weeks with a Fab fours bumper and a winch and he removed them because they were too stiff and he lost noticeable flex compared to 885s.
Those running them without any weight there can expect problems from too much lift.
The OME coils are not rated for ride comfort but each spring has a load rating for the additional weight they will handle, we sell very few of the 886 coils compared to the other two.
I would keep your 885s and see how they handle the weight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose it helps to mention that this truck is COMPLETELY dual purpose. This is my everyday ride and will see as much asphalt as it does dirt. I have a family and want them to be comfortable, but i also want my truck to be capable of taking over a 3rd world country. I am looking for that perfect balance of form and function, as well as creature comforts and capability. All this being said, I like most of us, am working within a budget, so all of my decisions need to be made based on what is going to make the most sense to put my money towards. I dont have the luxury of throwing money at my truck to Linex it or whatever other extreme actions are being taken out there. I am an average guy looking to make sure i dont damage or compromise the overall package that this vehicle needs to be. So I am looking for the "average joe" working man answers. So far it is looking good, but the more feedback, the better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you call ARB they will advise you to not use the Med or Heavy coils without weight already on the front. The 886 will not allow proper alignment and will give you lousy flex and a stiff ride without at least 170lbs additional weight; Don (Tjsilverfj) had 886s for 2 weeks with a Fab fours bumper and a winch and he removed them because they were too stiff and he lost noticeable flex compared to 885s.
Those running them without any weight there can expect problems from too much lift.
The OME coils are not rated for ride comfort but each spring has a load rating for the additional weight they will handle, we sell very few of the 886 coils compared to the other two.
I would keep your 885s and see how they handle the weight.
Great input!...this is the stuff i am looking for.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I have the 886's and lots of weight to nessesitate having them.....But if you call ARB they will tell you they are no longer being sold for the FJ due to allignment issues.....some shops still have them in there inventory....but that won't be for long....

So....some like them(Me)....Some don't....but ARB has had enough troubles to pull them from there line up....

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Don't run the 886's unless you have over 200lbs of added weight on the front end. The suspension will not articulate unless you have this much.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Gotta 2nd homedad... I had them (886/896) for about 6-8 months. Never had the alignment problems that is talked about. Great ride! Now Digger422 has them, last I had he likes them too.

Only reason they were removed was cause I wanted the RC 6" lift...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Gotta 2nd homedad... I had them (886/896) for about 6-8 months. Never had the alignment problems that is talked about. Great ride! Now Digger422 has them, last I had he likes them too.

Only reason they were removed was cause I wanted the RC 6" lift...
EDIT: you need to tow or just haul a lot of sh*t its the way to go... (aka boat, etc)

Edit/Edit: sorry been on vacation appearantly forgot the difference in the EDIT button and the QUOTE button

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
with the caveat that I have a very heavy truck, I have a thread when I measured the flex with the OME heavies on. With enough weight, the flex on these babies is fine. For a normal weight truck, the lighter duty coils are better.
I am not really sure you can acurately come up with a legitimate RTI score using a forklift but if you have a formula to claculate that it would be sweet.
I do know our FJ3-FRCC lift with 884 front coils and our rear coils/shocks did flex and RTI as posted below:

Toytec lift kit

Front: OME 884 coils & Toytec top plate spacer w/stock shocks
Rear: Toytec custom coils w/Bilstein 5125 shocks
Sway-bar connected both front and rear

Tire size: 285 GY MT/R's

RTI Score: 690
Our new coilovers with the same rear setup RTI over 720! Not bad for IFS....

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...res-various-suspension-kits-3.html#post176478

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love the information overload here guys! It is definitely appreciated.

I just installed the bumper and winch today with the help of Digger at CTR automotive. So far, it doesnt look like there is going to be any issues with the OME mediums that i am running now. I will really have to put it though its paces this coming weekend at the Cliffs offroad park to be sure though. I will post some pics up tomorrow.

BTW...in the last few days i noticed my right rear shock is leaking. When i showed Digger, he said it is blown. I am a little displeased about this considering this whole suspension has not seen too much in the way of offroad yet and is less than a year old. I will have to call the place i bought them from and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
BTW...in the last few days i noticed my right rear shock is leaking. When i showed Digger, he said it is blown. I am a little displeased about this considering this whole suspension has not seen too much in the way of offroad yet and is less than a year old. I will have to call the place i bought them from and see what they say.
Is it an OME shock? I think another member had that happen. They called up ARB/OME and they just replaced it very quickly.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I am not really sure you can acurately come up with a legitimate RTI score using a forklift but if you have a formula to claculate that it would be sweet.
I don't think the fork lift effects it any. The only time there would be any differences is if on a ramp there were interference with the rear wheel, or if the tire gets distorted a great deal by the fork lift prongs. But over all, wheel lift is wheel lift, whether up a ramp, on a fork lift, or by what ever means.

This is a formula for RTI:

RTI = Tire Height/sin(20*PI/180)/Wheelbase*1000

You can see how much more flexy the lighter coils are from comparing my numbers with the Toytec numbers. My front OME heavies on OME shocks get an RTI of about 600 compared with Toytecs 690. Rear, with superheavy OME coils on OME's remote reservoir long shocks, I get a 690 compared with ToyTec's 720. So it is definitely somewhat stiffer. And I have no sway bars front or rear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts