Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know, not the most needed accessory nor the most practical but I was wondering if anyone has either a hitch mounted bottle opener or another one mounted somewhere else? I want to mount the Yeti wall mounted one somehow but haven't found a good way to do it.

Also, how do you all organize your camping crap? everytime I have gone camping thus far with the FJ I have returned home desiring a good way to store everything or secure it. Whenever I take the slightest corner in the FJ my sh*t rolls around in the back almost excessively.

I put all of my fly fishing stuff in a tote and keep most of my other stuff in a patagonia dry bag but am wondering if anyone else has a better solution.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have found that in my years of camping, that using a good tie down method, plastic totes, and good organizing skills will go a long ways in making your trips easy.
Example:
I have camped through Boy Scouts with two sons. I have learned what is and is not needed when car camping. So things like having a plastic tote that can carry your stove, wash bins, and utensils along with foil and other items really makes packing up for camping easy and if maintained, its a grab and go item for your next trip..
Having a good tie down method for all the items in the back really helps as well. I have been using the bear trac plate that mounts in the rear of the FJ, but there are other ways to do the same thing if you do some research.
The bear trac system has worked great for me...ties everything down very well.

In my case, I have a fridge, kitchen box, tent, sleeping bag, cot. rope bag, bug out bag, and extra clothing for the weather that I will be in.

It takes me about an hour to pack up for a one week camp. This does not include grocery shopping.
It has taken several years to get this to a fine tuned operation. and you know, it makes it easy to camp.

And when it is easy to camp and explore, its fun and you do it more often..

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
FJ's are not the best for storage especially if your carrying recovery gear. If you search a lot of the FJ builds you'll see some amazing ingenuity the most common being a drawer unit that that fits in the rear cargo area.
Improved roof racks and trailers are also very helpful, but the easiest is a hitch cargo carrier https://www.amazon.com/Pro-63153-Rambler-Carrier-Receivers/dp/B001G4Z5J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467974828&sr=1-1&keywords=hitch+tray
Now the bottle opener, I'm not a big fan of mixing drinking and my FJ but if you search FJ bottle openers you'll find a ton of ideas. I like waiting tell I get home and using this http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/555058-yoda-fj-bottler-opener.html

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
One of the most popular storage mods on here is a 3 piece hinged shelf for the back. It takes a couple hours, some measuring, and some cutting. I built mine with wood and a floor mat from Home Depot, and used a Dremel for all the cutting. :lol:

For storage I stuffed 4 IKEA plastic bins under there. One holds the compressor and extension cord for the rear power outlet. Another holds tools and my portable CB/Antenna. The other two are open for whatever I need to toss back there like groceries or hiking gear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I tend to agree with USA4x4. I carry a foot locker I happen to "come across" before getting out of the Navy that I keep most of my gear in (472-FTLK-LG Mobile Military - Mobile Office? | Footlocker | Pelican Products, Inc.), and then a nother smaller cheaper plastic tote that i keep all of my cooking stuff in (Plano® Storage Locker | Academy). This paired with a bug out bag and a patagonia dry bag for clothes and such. A couple of tie downs and its good to go. easy to move all the stuff to and from camp as well. I have spent a good part of my life backpacking with some rock climbing and mountaineering so my mind set was always super minimalist when it came to camping. Car camping with my FJ has changed everything.

*edit* Also, one cool thing that I have found is that if you don't need your whole back seat, the single seat that lifts up makes the perfect space for this cooler to fit in it (https://www.igloocoolers.com/00034067-maxcold-quantum-52-roller-jet-carbon-ice-blue). I know its not a yeti or anything, but it fits perfect, has wheels to make moving it easy, and holds ice for at least 4 days. I used this last year at Barnwell for the Jamboree and it kept good ice even in the hotness of east Texas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well here's some small things I've done to help organize for camping and just having a baby. It helps keep small loose crap organized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
I store all my gear throughout 4 plastic plano containers.

These 3 fit perfectly in the back of the fj with little room to spare:
Plano Molding | 171900 MEDIUM SPORTSMAN'S TRUNK - Storage Trunks - Tactical

One is all my dry goods, second is sleeping gear, and last is kitchen supplies.

I then keep my tent chairs tools recovery gear and stove in a bigger container that sits on top of those three.
Plano Molding | 191900 Sportsman's Trunk - Storage Trunks - Tactical

My plastic folding table fits below the three smaller trunks and there is just enough room for some water jugs and full size propane tank left. i then fold down the smaller rear seat and put the cooler there.

Hopefully this gives you a couple idears, i love the storage totes and have no complaints. they allow me to keep all my gear together and hit the road in record time for spontaneous trips.

some great resources:

Unstaged Out of Town in 40 Minutes - Overland Bound
Weekend Adventure Supply List! - Overland Bound

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
As already said there are lots of good ideas on various build threads. I camp with my dog and his transit box takes 2/3 of the cargo area so I have to pack carefully, especially if I'm doing just one night in each place when I sleep in the back.

It will be an evolution whatever you do as you leatn what you need, what you take in case you need it and what you need most accessible etc.

I too work on the 'Thunderbirds 2' system as I call it. A series of prepacked boxes that load in depending on what I am doing and store ready to go when not needed. I do love the drawer systems but the dog box prohibits them.

Attachments

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
I'm a short 5'6". Thankfully the small $30tent from Walmart, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tarp all fit right behind the drivers seat :D .. The tool boxes fit on the front passenger side floorboard. The back is a bit tight with the refrigerator. I learned to pack light. I also installed E-tracks to to help gain more tiedown points.

Old picture:

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I like the Better Built AL Box for storage of my straps, tools and other misc stuff.
You can really load it up, and there is still plenty of room above it and on the swing door as well.
gm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this one of the most helpful threads I've ever seen! Thanks so much for your guys' response. I especially like the three-tub system by @Curtis-BW-Guenther

Simple and its a grab and go and stores very easily in my small garage. Will be investing! As for the "drinking and the FJ" obviously this wouldn't be a head to walmart and crack a beer while waiting for the fiance. It's more of a convenience item for fishing trips while waiting for dark or bonfires. But, I get the caution. Alcohol and driving is an obvious no no.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts