Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just woundering if anyone has the Borla Duel cat-back system. I saw it on some site for over $1000. Lots of coin, but real good name. If anyone has this on their FJ could you post up a few pic.'s? I'd like to see duels on an FJ. Or if anyone knows of another Co. that offers a bolt-up duel cat-back. Just think it looks cool. Thanks for any information....MAXXFJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Anyone have the Borla dual sys.

It's a quality exhaust and Borla is pretty good about supporting their product. Supposedly TRD uses Borla to make their single exit product, so others have said... Here is a link and pics from a reseller that I used and I tried to upload a few of mine, but got lazy because it kept exceeding the limit.

Sparks Toyota

I will probably be selling mine to go back to a single system to make for room to mount an Aux fuel tank. So if you are interested PM me.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's funny but motorcycle exhaust (titanium) usually run as much $$ as car cans. My FJ sounds good now, can't fathom what a performance can will sound like. After many years of stock bikes I put a titanium can on my CBR600RR and it made such an unbelievable aural difference. I was Doohan all over the neighborhood although at safe speeds. How about someone posting the noise?

·
Registered
337 Posts
i have the borla set up....sweeeet....it is a tuned set up.... not only you get the suposed duel exhaust....plus i like the look of the duel exhaust tips from the rear of the FJ....and you get a high flow air filter (k&n) as well.....TRD did some testing with this set up..... good for 15 extra ponies...the tone is soft at idle....while driving down the road at 70 mph the tone is back there but not deafing....if you stick your foot in it sounds really well.....one down side is if you off road hard/extreme you might catch the rear exhaust tips....it does affect the departue angle.....i got mine on sale from sparks toyota i think around $700.00.....RR:cheers:

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's funny but motorcycle exhaust (titanium) usually run as much $$ as car cans. My FJ sounds good now, can't fathom what a performance can will sound like. After many years of stock bikes I put a titanium can on my CBR600RR and it made such an unbelievable aural difference. I was Doohan all over the neighborhood although at safe speeds. How about someone posting the noise?
I can't figure out how to record a decent sound clip, but I thought there was one on the Spark's Toyota website to demo, but it seems to be gone now.

In any case, it was not the same and especially after adding my TRD CAI and URD Y-pipe. There is a YouTube clip for a FJ with a Y-Pipe, TRD CAI, Doug Thorley Long Tubes (headers), and TRD exhaust.

YouTube - FJ Cruiser Headers Sound 1

This is close to what I have, but even better. The Y-pipe and CAI really open up the flow and sound levels especially at WOT..... the Thorley's synch up the pulses, but I have heard of a lot of christmas tree lights (CEL) turn on unless you do it right because you end up removing your cats.

Then again a TRD or URD Supercharger will do the trick even better although still nothing even close to a CBR... :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just woundering if anyone has the Borla Duel cat-back system. I saw it on some site for over $1000. Lots of coin, but real good name. If anyone has this on their FJ could you post up a few pic.'s? I'd like to see duels on an FJ. Or if anyone knows of another Co. that offers a bolt-up duel cat-back. Just think it looks cool. Thanks for any information....MAXXFJ

Try this link in the forum:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/13317-dual-exhaust-borla-available-now-2.html

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AJR Jammer, that is one nice looking FJ. When I was looking at lift's I thought "well 6" may look like too much", Now that I have a 3" I want more- like some other members here told me I would. But looking at yours I want 6" for sure (must be the black) every car/truck I've ever had was black-except the FJ,Ti. silver. PM me with the $$ of your system when you remove, I'll give it some thought.Trying to pay off a small loan from dad right now, but after that I might go with a duel cat-back. I'm not a heavy off-roader so I'm not worried about damage to the tips. Let me know.....P.S. is that a borla sys.?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got my borla, and installed it, on Friday. I really like it. It sounds better than the TRD I had, not to mention it looks much better as well. I got my from Sparks Toyota as well. They had the best price on it by far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a reason that you can't get rid of the Y altogether, custom bend some pipes straight from the headers and install either dual single-single mufflers or one dual-dual muffler?

It just seems that looking at my pipes, 2 into 1 reduces output. Is it an emissions thing? I live in Colorado so I think the emissions rules are less strict than in California.

I'm also an exhaust rookie, so flame away if you will ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is there a reason that you can't get rid of the Y altogether, custom bend some pipes straight from the headers and install either dual single-single mufflers or one dual-dual muffler?

It just seems that looking at my pipes, 2 into 1 reduces output. Is it an emissions thing? I live in Colorado so I think the emissions rules are less strict than in California.

I'm also an exhaust rookie, so flame away if you will ;)
IMHO - Anything is possible if you have the skills to bend and weld I would guess. I see your point of having a true dual too, but also not quite sure why even the after market suppliers don't produce the item. It's pretty tight down there as is without creating extra low hanging pipes/mufflers just for a "real" dual setup. It's only a little 4.0L V6 that may not get the benefit of the same on a bigger V8.

There is the emissions issue of the 4 cats that are not supposed to be removed and the after market supplier already went through the testing to make sure you don't get CEL's with the Y-pipe. So possible CEL's may occur if not fabricated correctly. It's a great off-the-shelf product if you have the extra $ and BTW it removes 2 of the cats... so it is considered an offroad use only item for CA too.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my borla today. Managed to install it with some difficulty. For those who have installed it, is the over axle pipe for the driver side pipe suppose to touch the rear axle. I can't seem to align it so it clears the rear axle like the passenger side pipe. With it touching I think it would crack over time.
Also I can't get the rear skid plate back on (trail's edition). The over axle pipe for the driver's side is in the way. Anyway experience this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a custom dual setup, I took off the two rear cats, used the doug thorley y pipe, cut it at the mid point on the passengers side and left off the slip joint coming from the drivers side, got a magnaflow dual in dual out with 2 1/4 pipe size and ran it out the back looks like a borla but it sounds great and i can feel more power. the only issue is going over the rear axle it gets real tight

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got my borla today. Managed to install it with some difficulty. For those who have installed it, is the over axle pipe for the driver side pipe suppose to touch the rear axle. I can't seem to align it so it clears the rear axle like the passenger side pipe. With it touching I think it would crack over time.
Also I can't get the rear skid plate back on (trail's edition). The over axle pipe for the driver's side is in the way. Anyway experience this?
I will try and take a pic this week, but my Borla dual does not rub. You will need to work with it during the install so it does not touch by adjusting at the 2 joints for the multiple clamp locations, then tighten everything up. I don't have the rear skid, but it did not touch when the FJ was at stock height or after it was lifted with current 6" RCX kit. I think I have about 1-1.5" clearance over the rear axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ajr_jammer,

Thanks for the reply. Pics would be great, I'm going to give it another try to see if i can work it so the over-axle pipe doesn't touch. Another thing is the trail teams edition has the rear cross member to which the skid plate attaches so there isn't much room to play. But pics would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ajr_jammer,

Thanks for the reply. Pics would be great, I'm going to give it another try to see if i can work it so the over-axle pipe doesn't touch. Another thing is the trail teams edition has the rear cross member to which the skid plate attaches so there isn't much room to play. But pics would be helpful. Thanks.
Take a look at these and let me know if this is the area where you are getting contact. This is really the rear cross member and not the axle, so I hope we are talking about the same area for clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, that is the area. I manage to get about an 1" clearance by moving the driver side hanger and attaching it to the same point as the rear skid plate cross-member. However it required shaving down the supplied hanger. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts